Kinect is not required to be plugged into the xbox one

I agree. But long term, people will start taking the Kinect down and packing it away in the drawer full of gaming stuff they have if there's no reason to keep it connected. It's not an inconspicuous device and if it's not contributing to the experience, I for one would rather not have it up. I'm seeing something like PSEye. I bought it, played a couple of Sony's weak PSEye titles, and then it had no purpose and I put it away. Obviously the voice input is key to Kinect 2 and that'll be enough for a proportion of users, but there'll be others who want more to justify its presence under/over their TV.

MS need to show not only Kinect 2 titles that are worth playing at launch, but an upcoming library that proves it'll be a consistent boon to games, that devs are using it, and devs can continue to use it because it won't be packed away one day as everyone values the contribution Kinect has with XB1.

I suspect though that many will probably leave it up just for the automatic logging in bit based on face recognition and controllerless input from the couch.

I suspect though that many will probably leave it up just for the automatic logging in bit based on face recognition and controllerless input from the couch.

It'll still be interesting how compelling it actual is. Automatic logging in... you can set any gamertag to do that now. So that only matters in a house with multiple gamers sharing one Xbox.

Controlling the dash via Kinect isn't very compelling if Kinect 1 is any indication, and I cant ever see it being better than using a controller...

If the games are like Kinect 1 they wont be worth it either.

It still seems 90% of the cool stuff about Kinect remains voice control, which it seems like they could do cheaper.

I had pretty much talked myself out of Kinect just there, but then again I remembered it's also a standard camera which I think can make the device more interactive with other people with things like skype. Who would buy a tablet without a front facing cam nowdays for example? So throw voice control, functioning as a 2D camera, and plus a dollop of games and interface there and I'm back to pro Kinect.

But then yet again it remains how compelling that will actually be. Current Kinect can be used for video chat cant it (it seems it can http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/videokinect) ? I dont see anybody doing that really.

But then again it seems different when every box comes with Kinect as opposed to a option, and I've talked myself in a circle and being uncertain again.

Will it be a hassle to connect the Kinect and mount it so that it's pointed where it needs to be and so on?

Connecting it is an extra step over just plugging in the console, connecting the HDMI and turning it on.

So do you have to mount it on top of the TV or make room in the AV cabinet to position it right?

So do you have to mount it on top of the TV or make room in the AV cabinet to position it right?
I was wondering about this. My gaming TV is mounted on the wall and there's no shelf on which it could sit. I wonder if they have a bracket for wall mounting or for attaching to the top of bottom of a TV.

I was wondering about this. My gaming TV is mounted on the wall and there's no shelf on which it could sit. I wonder if they have a bracket for wall mounting or for attaching to the top of bottom of a TV.

They have wall mounts for the original kinect that run about $15-17.

It'll still be interesting how compelling it actual is. Automatic logging in... you can set any gamertag to do that now. So that only matters in a house with multiple gamers sharing one Xbox.

You could get a bit more secured auto login. Meaning you could tie your credit card to your gamertag and never have to password protect purchase attempts even if you are constantly logged on and worried about others in your household or theft of your console.

Given the biometic features, I would love the XB1 to offer a encrypted password manager.

They have wall mounts for the original kinect that run about $15-17.
That's not too bad.

A soft (spongy) clamp to attach Kinect 2 to the hard point (where the stand usually attaches) of the TV could appeal more those who don't want to put more holes in their wall. A bit trickier tho with all the different TVs.

Controlling the dash via Kinect isn't very compelling if Kinect 1 is any indication, and I cant ever see it being better than using a controller...

You forget some things:

1) Kinect 1 only works with some distance (1.8 meters)
2) Kinect 2 can detect arms rotation, and it works better even if you're sitting.
3) It can detect fingers motion.

I think (hope) controlling the dashboard will be a lot better than current Kinect implementation.

If the games are like Kinect 1 they wont be worth it either.

1) No (noticeable) lag
2) It work while sitting
3) Controller has IR to work with Kinect

I really think Kinect 2 can do a better work with games than Kinect 1.

Will it be a hassle to connect the Kinect and mount it so that it's pointed where it needs to be and so on?

Connecting it is an extra step over just plugging in the console, connecting the HDMI and turning it on.

It's certainly going to be easier to setup than the Wii sensors, and that wasn't too hard for most people, even the elderly.

And yes, there are brackets available to mount them directly onto the top of TVs. Or least there were at launch.

Regards,
SB

Yes, universal inclusion with every consoles will give it a leg up in comparison to PSEye in that developers know that everyone with an Xbox One has a Kinect, but it still has to have developer support. After all the tilt controls in Sixaxis didn't get much developer support despite being included with all launch PS3s. Then again, Kinect offers more compelling prospects for gaming.

Regards,
SB

This is an interesting point, its entirely likely that the Kinect support ends up being very generic in which case PS Eye support might be included if it matches the functionality and doesn't add much to the cost of development.

In other words you might end with a lowest common denominator approach to building out motion control mechanics by developers.

I'm going to guess voice controls will see the broadest adoption. I would imagine those would be the easiest to integrate without requiring a rethink of how you do things in game. And worst case you can always use a microphone on PS3 if the user doesn't have the camera accessory.

Motion substitutes for complex button selections might be next. As again that's just offering an alternative to already established controls.

And then anything evolutionary or revolutionary will likely take time as developers build on their experiences with doing the easy substitution based approached. Although any developer that worked on first gen Kinect and/or PSEye will have a leg up here in getting something unique out sooner.

Regards,
SB

And worst case you can always use a microphone on PS3 if the user doesn't have the camera accessory.

Can you? If the tools aren't there to make it happen on a platform it might not be that simple. It might not even be permitted. Do we have that information?

Because if people aren't using it, what incentive is there for the developers to support it, whether or not the X1 owners have K2 or not?
This is simply to counter a fuss kicked up by forum warriors. Very, very, very few people are going to unplug Kinect.

This is simply to counter a fuss kicked up by forum warriors. Very, very, very few people are going to unplug Kinect.

I'm not certain that's the extent of it.
I think there are people and regulators in various places that are looking for things to hold against Microsoft that don't include forum warriors. That, and political events have made certain associations toxic right in the launch window.

For a non-political reason, removing the Kinect requirement does make the Xbox One more flexible if Microsoft is hedging on the readiness of the full Kinect UI and localization within the current launch countries. It would be annoying if you had to go through Kinect calibration and setup, only to find that it's not working anyway. This might allow for some stock to cross borders into non-launch markets with less fuss.

I also feel like providing at least some functionality in the case of component failure is a reasonable compromise that isn't asking too much.

Can you? If the tools aren't there to make it happen on a platform it might not be that simple. It might not even be permitted. Do we have that information?
I think it would depend on how much of an investment Sony put into the dev tools, they do have dedicated team working on the motion-control/voice recognition stuff (headed by a Dr. Richard Marks I think). But how much money and manpower they have to get things going? That I don't know.

But specs for the PS4 Eye might be serviceable enough for it...

External Dimensions Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
Weight Approx. 183g (tentative)
Video Pixel (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
Video Frame Rate
  • 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps
  • 640x400 pixel @ 120fps
  • 320x192 pixel @ 240fps

Video Format RAW YUV (uncompressed)
Lens Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
Capture Range 30cm~∞
Field-of-View 85°
Microphone 4 Channel Microphone Array
Connection Type PS4™ dedicated connector (AUX connector)
Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)

You could do a search on what the PS4 Eye is capable of, I know Sony mentioned some of the things you can do with it.

Please, do not be bringing in other products into this thread. It will only turn it into a nasty console versus thread.

1) No (noticeable) lag
I dont know how accurate the vgleaks number is from the above link but if so
60msec latency (16fps) is very noticeable lag, which rules it out for 'hardcore' twitch games.
This should be their number one priority getting this lag down as much as possible, perhaps reducing the cameras resolution etc will help. Until this happens kinect2 will just be a repeat of kinect1. Party/dancing etc games

I dont know how accurate the vgleaks number is from the above link but if so
60msec latency (16fps) is very noticeable lag, which rules it out for 'hardcore' twitch games.
This should be their number one priority getting this lag down as much as possible, perhaps reducing the cameras resolution etc will help. Until this happens kinect2 will just be a repeat of kinect1. Party/dancing etc games

I think the kinect is great tech just not the best gaming tech. Once you extract the kinect out as an accurate way to monitor the human body then lots of apps and utilities can use it. Pay 5 bucks and get an app to monitor your exercises to make sure you are doing them right and track you hear rate as well. Apps that don't cost much to make and don't cost much to buy will be popular I think. Games that use it will be niche ones in my opinion.

Like the Cloud the Kinect has a lot of fans of it's unknown potential. Emergent gameplay that can't have been made any other way ! Vast untapped resources to change gaming forever !! ... That is a lot of room for disappointment but like I said the Kinect will find it's home with many users as opposed to gamers.

I'm not certain that's the extent of it.
I think there are people and regulators in various places that are looking for things to hold against Microsoft that don't include forum warriors. That, and political events have made certain associations toxic right in the launch window.

For a non-political reason, removing the Kinect requirement does make the Xbox One more flexible if Microsoft is hedging on the readiness of the full Kinect UI and localization within the current launch countries. It would be annoying if you had to go through Kinect calibration and setup, only to find that it's not working anyway. This might allow for some stock to cross borders into non-launch markets with less fuss.

I also feel like providing at least some functionality in the case of component failure is a reasonable compromise that isn't asking too much.
That sounds about right to me and I consider this the main reason why they decided to make it optional.

Additionally, I think people don't know yet the potential of Kinect or never used it much. I have it always connected on the Xbox 360 and it can be very useful for many things.

Some people think that the amount of money spent on Kinect is a waste but new technologies are developing and they are going to replace many functions.

For instance, Kinect can be used as a touchscreen on any surface from now on. :eek:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/15/4...e-kinect-app-turns-projector-into-touchscreen

Back