Kinect is not required to be plugged into the xbox one

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by eastmen, Aug 12, 2013.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

from ign today

and from gaf

#1 eastmen, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Bagel seed

Veteran

Now all that remains is apps paywall and price :wink:

3. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Another sudden outbreak of common sense?

Now they can sell it separately for $99, and the basic console SKU at $399.

4. Tap In

Legend

please no. I hope they keep it at full market saturation (even if some tin foils disconnect it now :wink:)

5. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Why? Don't you think it would increase sales?

6. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Oh god no. I don't want kinect on Xbox one to be relegated to second rate citizen that would happen if it falls to be a completely optional accessory.

7. DrJay24

Veteran

Better than second rate and costing an extra $100 in the box.

8. Tap In

Legend

short term (first year) it would help but...

...long term it is a better strategy to let everyone see the reason they invested in Kinect so deeply and spent so much to improve it and integrate it to a level which most people will not appreciate until they get to actually use it.

More interested in seeing what can be done with 100% marketplace presence and developer (and MS software OS) ingenuity.

OTHO, in countries where they know they have little to no chance of integrating some of the experiences I can see a watered down version for those regions if they can not ever get the features from it (language or media restriction, licensing issues)

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

More and more the next-gen consoles are becoming shitty pcs. Without Kinect there is basically no reason to buy an Xbox One. Will Kinect get real support now? Hopefully. If they drop Kinect from the package, next-gen is basically dead to me. In that case, I'll just sell my Xbox One and put the money towards a PC for gaming occassionally. Looking at Xbox One and PS4, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be excited about.

10. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I don't think today's news is all that different. It was already going to support the ability turn off the sensor via software & it was also going to have all kinds of privacy settings. As long as they don't remove the sensor from the current & future SKUs I think it will continue to work like MS & the developers want. I think it was necessary for MS to save a little face & keep those that didn't like the sensor from completely writing it off.

BTW, I'm saying this even though I would probably buy it at $400, but only if Kinect is included. I don't see that happening for about a year. By then I should be ready to move next-gen.

Tommy McClain

11. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Wonder how much Kinect for pc will cost?

12. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

The funny thing is, that a lot of the people who don't want the Kinect, and say it shouldn't be bundled and dropped by $100, would then say, why would they buy XB1, same price as PS4, but less powerful etc.

So I don't think in the end removing it would have a massive sales boost overall.
    Sure it would sell a few more, but compared to the loss of developer confidence of every console having one would be much worse IMO.

13. Nisaaru

Veteran Regular

With 24M Kinect1 sales according to MS and around 80 for 360 with a lot repair and multiple units per user the attachment rate was quite high. Does anybody seriously think that market size prevented the game companies to deliver the killer Kinect game everybody waited for it? I don't think so.

14. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

15. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Totally agree. People complaining now will just find something else to complain about like the extra $10/month to spend on Xbox Live Gold. Sooner or later MS has to stand their ground on their vision.

Tommy McClain

16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Thanks.
    I've not re-read link, but I thought that was basically a Kinect, then you get a Kinect 2 later on.

I was wondering about retail pricing.

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

I do. People bought it to play Kinect Sports. The game devs didn't seriously consider it as an attachment for twitch ("hardcore") games partly because of the demographics and partly because the technology wasn't fit for those games.

Kinect 2 is by reports far more accurate and noticeably less laggy. Plus it was bundled with every single system and previously required to be plugged in. There was far more incentive for devs to make use of it.

The people that don't want Kinect 2 because Kinect 1 "sucked" are basically complaining that they didn't like Laserdisc, so DVD must be terrible. They see no potential in it because they seemingly do not understand that technology can advance year by year. The people that don't want it because of "privacy" issues ... well ... Microsoft logically assumed that consumers that buy laptops, tablets and smartphones with GPS and user-facing cameras would be ok with that. Hell, those consumers would never even consider buying a smartphone without a user-facing camera. Do you remember the backlash when Sony included a user-facing camera on the PS Vita, because Sony or the government might spy on you in your livingroom, bedroom, basement, washroom? I don't. Unfortunately consumers are not logical at all. Either that or consumers sequester their phones, tablets, portables and laptops in camera-safe rooms at home, where there is no potential for abuse by the watching eyes of Big Brother.

This backtrack makes next-gen potentially less attractive for me. PS4 is a shitty pc. Xbox One is a shitty PC with Kinect. The games will be good, but those games will mostly be available on PC as well, and I'm likely to get a new laptop within the next console generation that will be more than capable of playing those same games even better.

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yes, that is absolutely the case. If it had been optional for Xbox One, Kinect would die a slow death and eventually be just as relevant to gaming as the PS Eye, Move controllers, or Light Guns.

Why would a developer devote time to a feature that over half of the potential user base would never use because they don't have the capability to use it, unless it was in the publisher's interest (for example Sony Published titles pushing 3D, but 3rd party?).

How many titles have tried to integrate something related to Kinect in addition to standard controller based controls? I can only think of one 3rd party developed game off hand (ME3), but I'm sure there might be a handful of others.

I think quite a few titles on Xbox One will have some things that can be done with Kinect or controller (like ME3) now that it is standard with every single console.

More publishers will be tempted to experiment with Kinect only or Kinect enhanced gameplay when 100% of the console's userbase has Kinect, than they would if less than half of the userbase has Kinect.

Regards,
    SB

19. Nisaaru

Veteran Regular

Did you actually process the numbers here? That's close to 50% per xbox household with all the multiple units sold. Just for exclusivity sake the killer Kinect game would have generated sales you couldn't with normal 360 games because the market competition is a lot fiercer for normal 360 games.
    So, I really don't buy into this spin.

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Yes, same here. I don't mind the news at all, I couldn't use the Xbox 360 without Kinect anymore. It's there, it doesn't disturb my gaming and it can be really useful sometimes, so I wanted it to be part of every Xbox One.

That's the whole point. There is a good thing about this news, and it's that the console will still function properly even if your Kinect 2 stop working for some reason, so you can replace it but you can also play on the console while you wait for a replacement.

#20 Cyan, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013