Killzone 3 and MLAA

The 'drop in' code shouldn't add any delay as long as there's room to drop it in. Otherwise I guess the SPUs are already working their little socks off and can't be expected to squeeze MLAA into their already busy schedule.

The 'drop in' code shouldn't add any delay as long as there's room to drop it in. Otherwise I guess the SPUs are already working their little socks off and can't be expected to squeeze MLAA into their already busy schedule.
Also MLAA on a 1280x1080 image would take at least 50% more spu time than a 1280x720 image, really beating on the SPU's. Going by the 20ms figure from GOW3, it'd be 30ms*60 fps, which would give 1.8 SPU seconds per second (out of 6 total SPU seconds per second), reserved for just MLAA, before factoring in scheduling and bandwidth considerations.

Shader aliasing & shadow aliasing (too jagged for a 4xmsaa game, probably because its very low rez, donno how much they've improved upon GT5P)

I foresee a problem with MLAA... we won't be able to tell the difference between bullshots and actual screens anymore! :smile:

Until MLAA super samples render buffers or anti aliases shading, resolves sub pixel sized polygon problem, anti aliases transaprencies and packs more detail per inch like SSAA does then the difference will be big unless the game from get go has blurry, low detail visuals.

Also, why doesn't GT5 use MLAA, of all the games it's the one that would benefit most from total lack of aliasing. The aliasing is pretty much the only thing that stops the cars looking like real cars.

To many tiny sized objects at distance and alphas not getting love? Also shader alising wont be solved by MLAA which is the problem with GT5 cars.

Until MLAA super samples render buffers or anti aliases shading, resolves sub pixel sized polygon problem, anti aliases transaprencies and packs more detail per inch like SSAA does then the difference will be big unless the game from get go has blurry, low detail visuals.
I thought MLAA worked fine with alpha textures.

Can't do much if the image itself has subpixel alpha elements (chain fence, hair etc).

MLAA is a post-process filter -- it doesn't work on sub-pixel level. If there is a sub-pixel geometry (or alpha texture) that's not covered by the sampling, MLAA won't do anything to recover the missing values.

MLAA is a post-process filter -- it doesn't work on sub-pixel level. If there is a sub-pixel geometry (or alpha texture) that's not covered by the sampling, MLAA won't do anything to recover the missing values.

Yeah I don't think mlaa would be as useful on GT5 due to all the fences, power lines, and other many small details that are lost by the time mlaa would roll around. Plus msaa helps clean up the heavy alpha to coverage that they use, which is why to my eye GT5 actually looks better in 720p mode because 1080p mode only uses 2xmsaa, which really makes the alpha to coverage look bad.

Yeah I don't think mlaa would be as useful on GT5 due to all the fences, power lines, and other many small details that are lost by the time mlaa would roll around. Plus msaa helps clean up the heavy alpha to coverage that they use, which is why to my eye GT5 actually looks better in 720p mode because 1080p mode only uses 2xmsaa, which really makes the alpha to coverage look bad.

Oh, so it doesn't work on shader aliasing and sub pixel geometry (which there is quite alot of in GT5)
I agree that GT5 looks better in 720p than 1080, aliasing really breaks the suspension of disbelief in games - especially ones with realistic art styles.

But, how come shader aliasing isn't a problem for God of War?

Just an another thing about the MLAA discussion: I have replay GOW 3 demo yesterday & believe me, the difference is huge with the final build... but I'm not talking of simple AA edge, but the contrast is very, very low in the gow 3 E3 demo, maybe to help to 'mask' the limits of 2xmsaa; unfortunately I can't post a screen to prove that, & even the eurogames pics not gives a clear idea how the difference is noticeable in the contrast, need to see from alive in motion; the demo is very dark & poor of colours, a la kz 2 ... I repeat, to me there are no chances on the ps3, MLAA for the life... it's the best alternative to 4xmsaa here. The small edges limits aren't nothing compared to QAA or 2xmlaa 'limits' in high contrast moments.

They're using MLAA for kz3 maybe because there are more day time levels such as the bright arctic and jungle settings. So for that reason You probably need everything to look sharper and clearer at the cost of some sub pixel aliasing. I'm sure they've experimented the pros and cons and decided for the MLAA route. Just imagine playing Uncharted 2 with QAA. Also KZ's object motion blur should be quite efficient in covering up some of the jaggies in motion anyway, so it makes more sense to me imo.

Back