Ken Kutaragi Interview by Hiroshige Goto (PC Wach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But video is pretty much a core element of the home/computer entertainment hub, no? And I'm not sure if 20GB will fit EVERYTHING you download over the course of 5 or 6 years, but how and ever..
20 gigs would be more than enough to stream to . You can start streaming before playing the file thus hiding any stalls in the network .

Not only that but 20 gigs is the smallest drive they will offer and will be a pack in. For those that want a huge media hub you can buy a drive that large. For those who want to only download game content and some music 20 gigs is plenty .

Not only that but u will be able to stream your data to it . I have an ipod 20 gig . I can hook it up to my xbox 360 and never have to worry about music ans i have 20 gigs + 20 gigs on the xbox itself . Then i can stream more over the network .

Where's the ethernet if it's coming from your local X360 or PS3 HD?

Where is the intrest to get the casual person excited about video on thier system ?

THe xbox 360 has 20 gigs of space to make that person interested , the ps3 has 0 with out a drive and sony has nothing to intice the casual to buy that bigger drive . Ms does .

Live had more to do with that than the built in hardware.

I agree, ps3 should have a standard HD. But I'm not sure how great the impact the lack of it will have.
at the start not to much , as the consoles get older it will be big . People will see xbox 360 users getting content updates and a slew of other things where as the ps3 support will be very limited with out the drive .

scooby_dooby said:
Well how will you get those videos on the PS3 HD? Other than ripping DVD's or burnt discs, or capturing TV(won't happen)

Video can come from a lot of sources. Ripping DVDs may be an option (Kutaragi actually mentioned this as one possible use of "cell storage"). Video messages is another. Your home movies from your camcorder. Video downloaded from the web. And so forth. If you want your PS3 or X360 to be a center of "computer entertainment" - the notion that was originally challenged - you will need more than 20GB.

I actually have a 20GB HD in my PC (i know..:rolleyes:), and I can't even dream of keeping too many videos floating around, or too many games installed at once. Sure, I have 4GB of Windows hanging on, but even taking that out, doing everything I might want to do in a center of computer entertainment on 20GB just isn't going to happen.

scooby_dooby said:
I disagree. Imagine a scenario where 100% of ConsoleA's users are online, lets say it has only 2million users in total. If you are developing a game for ConsoleA, you would most definately support online as 100% of your audience will want it.

Now imagin consoleB, with 200,000million users, but only 1% of those users are online. Now if you're developing a game for COnsoleB, why would you watse all that time on 1% of the demographic when it could be beter spent adding features that the other 99% would enjoy?

I see the point, but if it was a matter of choosing between one market or the other, there's little advantage in terms of market size in going for the smaller market at x% vs the much larger market at at a smaller y%. If you were willing to limit yourself to the smaller market in the first place, there's no disadvantage to putting your game on the other market with more optional users. With a market the size of a Playstation's, anyway, it's a little pointless trying to appeal to 100% of the market. When you have such a large market, there's so much diversity in terms of taste etc.
Even the most successful of games on PS2 only sell to a fraction of the userbase.

Another interesting issue is interest. To play devil's advocate, if I'm not already, it's interesting to think about interest in using such a feature across different systems. In a system where it's standard, there's no way of gauging interest in it (and where there is, e.g. Live subscriptions for online, we can see the interest is limited to a further fraction of the market). Where the user has to make an investment themselves in that feature, at least the dev can know that those users are actually aware of the feature and roughly what it can offer them, and would be interested in games taking advantage of it. Just another point to ponder when comparing userbases that have something by default versus userbases that don't.

jvd said:
But video is pretty much a core element of the home/computer entertainment hub, no? And I'm not sure if 20GB will fit EVERYTHING you download over the course of 5 or 6 years, but how and ever..
20 gigs would be more than enough to stream to . You can start streaming before playing the file thus hiding any stalls in the network .

Not only that but 20 gigs is the smallest drive they will offer and will be a pack in. For those that want a huge media hub you can buy a drive that large. For those who want to only download game content and some music 20 gigs is plenty .

Not only that but u will be able to stream your data to it . I have an ipod 20 gig . I can hook it up to my xbox 360 and never have to worry about music ans i have 20 gigs + 20 gigs on the xbox itself . Then i can stream more over the network .

I think you're missing the point. The statement was made - how can PS3 be a center of computer entertainment without a built-in HD? As you seem to agree yourself, if you're going to use it as a hub or any sort, you're going to want more space than what Sony could provide as standard anyway - 20GB or whatever. That's my point.

Titanio said:
Video can come from a lot of sources. Ripping DVDs may be an option (Kutaragi actually mentioned this as one possible use of "cell storage"). Video messages is another. Your home movies from your camcorder. Video downloaded from the web. And so forth. If you want your PS3 or X360 to be a center of "computer entertainment" - the notion that was originally challenged - you will need more than 20GB.

Trust me bro, my XBOX right now IS the center of my computer entertainment. And it doesn't need a large harddrive to do so(it does has 120GB but that's beside the point!!)

The whole idea around a "hub" is that it connects different things together. It doesn't replace the PC as the storage area, it merges that storage with your top-end audi and video equipment and lets you access it all form one place.

So believe me or not, a networkd PC is the way to go. I've had this set-up for nearly 3 years, using your PC to download the files, then streaming them to the XBOX is perfect. It's ideal.

The PC is so much more flexible, and easy to use, that a console will never replace it as the center for media storage. People will always prefer to download with a PC, save pictrues on a PC, email on a PC, etc etc, it's just easier, more familiar and less clunky.

The real strength of the console is merging the media stored on the PC, with the entertainment system in your living room(big screen TV, 5.1 audio), it will never replace the PC. The ability to access your latest downloads, stream movies, listen to your music, all seamlessly while sitting in your chair with your console controller. That's the beauty of it.

When yo can sit down at your console, fire up your favourite mp3 playlist, then switch over to a few music videos watch those, then fire up a NES emulator a play a few games of kung-fu, close that down and fire up the latest star wars movie, head over and check your latest weather report...and when that's done maybe fire up a streaming radio station and listen to some online radio....all without leaving your chair, do that then you'll realize why a HD and networked PC as a must!

So anyways, I'm kinda ranting, long story short 20GB is plenty, and storing/downloading video ona console is not only more expensive(HD costs), but much much less practical than saving it on your PC.

I believe this is illegal in the states . Look at dvdxcopy suit and how they lost for letting you decode the mpeg 2 stream .

SO i don't see ripping dvds as something that is giong to happen on a ps3 .

scooby_dooby said:
The whole idea around a "hub" is that it connects different things together. It doesn't replace the PC as the storage area, it merges that storage with your top-end audi and video equipment and lets you access it all form one place.

So believe me or not, a networkd PC is the way to go. I've had this set-up for nearly 3 years, using your PC to download the files, then streaming them to the XBOX is perfect. It's ideal.

The PC is so much more flexible, and easy to use, that a console will never replace it as the center for media storage. People will always prefer to download with a PC, save pictrues on a PC, email on a PC, etc etc, it's just easier, more familiar and less clunky.

This all only bolsters the argument against how a PS3 can't be a home entertainment or computer entertainment center without storage as standard (assuming it can access storage over the LAN or network).

For people without PCs or other storage on the network, however, bigger optional HDs are in their future no matter whether they're using X360 or PS3, if they want to use it as a "center" for computer/home entertainment.

Ya fat chance of ripping actual DVD's.

I was referring to burning your own DVD's then taking them to the PS3 and ripping the disc. But that's just a waste of time when you can simply network them and share files that way.

I mean, there's the odd reason you might want to keep a video directly on teh console, say your PC HD is full. Bt the comment that "We didn't include 20GB because it would be too small anyways" is a joke, it's just plain wrong.

Titanio said:
This all only bolsters the argument against how a PS3 can't be a home entertainment or computer entertainment center without storage as standard (assuming it can access storage over the LAN or network).

For people without PCs or other storage on the network, however, bigger optional HDs are in their future no matter whether they're using X360 or PS3, if they want to use it as a "center" for computer/home entertainment.

I think you shoudl re-read my post, as I'm the one who made that argument. The

I said how can they call themselves a "multimedia centre" if they don't:
A: Have a harddrive
or
B: Enable networking with windows

So I did say that if BOTH these things were lacking, than the title of "multimedi centre" is a joke. With one or the other, you could make a case it is a media hub, but it would be a weak case, both are essential in my mind.

personaly i would not want to be streaming multiplayer maps from my pc to my ps3 while playing the multiplayer games . That will just kill the game .

scooby_dooby said:
Ya fat chance of ripping actual DVD's.

I was referring to burning your own DVD's then taking them to the PS3 and ripping the disc. But that's just a waste of time when you can simply network them and share files that way.

I mean, there's the odd reason you might want to keep a video directly on teh console, say your PC HD is full. Bt the comment that "We didn't include 20GB because it would be too small anyways" is a joke, it's just plain wrong.

Odd reason you might want to keep a video directly on the console?.....well..one good reason is if you have a HDTV like I do....and would like to store High Def video (or Movie) there so It could be played back on the PS3 to my HDTV.....but for storage reasons..theres probably better things you can do with a PS3 HDD than store whole HDTV Movies on it....but like you said...Sharing out the File over your network would be easier...but there are people in this world that don't even know how to use PCs correctly, even with very simple things....

scooby_dooby said:
I think you shoudl re-read my post, as I'm the one who made that argument. The

I said how can they call themselves a "multimedia centre" if they don't:
A: Have a harddrive
or
B: Enable networking with windows

So I did say that if BOTH these things were lacking, than the title of "multimedi centre" is a joke. With one or the other, you could make a case it is a media hub, but it would be a weak case, both are essential in my mind.

Well this argument has been a lot of hot air over nothing so ;) You actually agree with Kutaragi even if you don't agree with the amount of local storage required on the console itself. He sees network storage as being the predominant bearer of data. Hopefully "network storage" means PCs lying on the network as well as Cell servers :LOL:

I think seriously we just need to wait for TGS to find out what Sony's real ambitions are as far as being a multimedia center/hub go.

xbdestroya said:
I think seriously we just need to wait for TGS to find out what Sony's real ambitions are as far as being a multimedia center/hub go.

I like that idea :eek:

When is the Tokyo Game Show anyways?

Not to be an ahole but this whole media center stuff really drives me nuts. I buy a console to play video games on. The reason the hard drive should be a standard for a console is to enhance games. The custom sound tracks, new maps and faster load times all enhance my game playing experience and are the reason a harddrive should be standard on all next gen consoles. To be honest I don't see a media center being used by anyone but a few hard core techheads. The more I hear sony talk the less I hear about games and that does not make me a happy gamer.

That's just how it is though - the console makers will talk about the extras, and it'll be the devs themselves that talk about the games. I assure you that regardless of whatever media functionalities tossed into 360 or PS3, both will be quite good at actually playing games. I agree with your point though on wanting a hard drive for the reason of actually enhancing the gameplay itself.

Not to be an ahole but this whole media center stuff really drives me nuts. I buy a console to play video games on. The reason the hard drive should be a standard for a console is to enhance games. The custom sound tracks, new maps and faster load times all enhance my game playing experience and are the reason a harddrive should be standard on all next gen consoles. To be honest I don't see a media center being used by anyone but a few hard core techheads. The more I hear sony talk the less I hear about games and that does not make me a happy gamer.

Quest I gonna be honest you sound like my dad. He always says "A cell phone should be used for talking not taking pictures and videos and getting on the internet." But guess what it can. Trust me the media center console is a great idea. Its really Nintendo who needs to worry because both MS and Sony are heading in a direction that can deliver great games and much more. You gotta wake you quest the future is near. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
That's total nonsense, just a lame excuse. The ONLY thing 20GB would not be good enough for is video. That's it. Everything else it's perfectly sufficient
I concur, and agree to your points, but just wonder about %age of PS2's online. Does anyone have an actual figure? A quick Google shows in the US, by 11th September 2001, 750,000 network adapters had been sold here. Then another article says in September 2003, 780,000 PS2 network adapters had been sold worldwide, most int he US, suggesting two years without a single sale! here
I don't think anyone really knows what the percentage is, or how many numbers, and with the new PS2 there's no way of counting. Live! needs an account, where a new PS2 can go online without anyone knowing about it.

quest55720 said:

Hardcore tech heads? This is the perfect toy for a party or any time you have friends over.

One guy can be downloading songs on the computer, while another computer illiterate friend can pick up the controller and play songs or video's from your harddrive. Basicall it's like havign the ultimate jukebox, that requires no computer skills at all to use.

I can't tell you how many times my drunken roommates used to knock on my door "Hey bro...can we use your XBOX"...hell no i'm trying to sleep!!

Hey scooby why were you shocked that I agreed with you on your point below.

the main benefits of a HDD are not video storage, it's being able to install apps, caching for games, better load speeds, more customizable games, downoadable content, and most importantly the widespread support of gamemakers so they can take advantage of the permanent storage, and also create this dowbloadable content.

scooby_dooby said:
Hardcore tech heads? This is the perfect toy for a party or any time you have friends over.

One guy can be downloading songs on the computer, while another computer illiterate friend can pick up the controller and play songs or video's from your harddrive. Basicall it's like havign the ultimate jukebox, that requires no computer skills at all to use.

I can't tell you how many times my drunken roommates used to knock on my door "Hey bro...can we use your XBOX"...hell no i'm trying to sleep!!

This is actually the very reason that I think a media center concept executed completely independently of the the PC might very well be a success; because if you provide consumers with an easy to understand interface the adoption rate might well be higher on the console with the features in-built than on the console that requires some form of networking to a PC in order to gain it's functionality. I know that the majority of my friends are essentially clueless when it comes to networking anything, and they definitely represent the majority. If the PS3 can bring it to a level along the lines of the PSP's interface, then I think we might have a winner with the moms and dads.

think you're missing the point. The statement was made - how can PS3 be a center of computer entertainment without a built-in HD? As you seem to agree yourself, if you're going to use it as a hub or any sort, you're going to want more space than what Sony could provide as standard anyway - 20GB or whatever. That's my point

Only with video.

Music even 1-2 gigs is enough , that can be 250-500 songs plus there are other features to take the need for room off the drive .

If sony doesn't have a hardrive everything will need to be streamed , thus making it weaker for multi purpose media hub .

Look at it this way .

When playing songs both will be great at it (hardrive for x360 , memory sticks and what not for the ps3 ) I think we can agree on that .

When playing movies ms will have an edge. You have 20 gigs or so to keep movies on or to use as a buffer for streaming movies onto or for even moving the file to the hardrive for viewing puropses .

For games , well a hardrive can't be beat . I can listen to music + load up multi player maps i bought from market place on my xbox 360 with out touching my network connection and then saving all that bandwidth and keeping the latancy low for my gaming .

With the ps3 your going to have to get those multiplayer maps from some where and with out a hardrive you your giong to hit your net connection.

For videos ms is at the advantage because it will get people interested by showing you what you can do and those who really want to do it can get a 200 gig drive. With sony they can only tell us how great it would be and then try to get people to buy a 200 gig drive .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back