Ken Kutaragi Interview by Hiroshige Goto (PC Wach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cell open-sourcing + Linux on every PS3 HD + insane eye-toy driven UI = Total madness 8)

pipo said:
Yes.

For a couple of hardcore freaks... ;)

..or for anyone with an interest in games development, which is more than a couple ;) Of course, in the wider scheme of things homebrew/coding is obviously a minority interest. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be included though. As Kutaragi says, it's a bonus, it's not to the detriment of anything else in the system. So why not?

Of course. It can't do any harm...

Meanwhile, dropping the HDD from the default config isn't a smart move in my book. I can see where they're coming from cost-wise, but a lot of devco's are not going to be happy about that.

pipo said:

Meanwhile, dropping the HDD from the default config isn't a smart move in my book. I can see where they're coming from cost-wise, but a lot of devco's are not going to be happy about that.

Square in particular.

I think the Linux might have appeal beyond techies actually if the UI is done right. I can really see a fully-rendered 3D interface with things zooming in and out of the distance and blah blah blah...

Shouldn't be difficult for Cell to pull off in terms of overhead whatsoever, seems in line with my vision of what 'Minority Report' means, and should look awesome as hell if that's the route they take. Sometimes the general population will put functionality aside and just roll with it if somethign is just out and out 'neat' enough.

Hopefully they open the hardware architecture too. Although I don't expect them to do that until they sell their fair share of PS3's lol.

DudeMiester said:
Hopefully they open the hardware architecture too. Although I don't expect them to do that until they sell their fair share of PS3's lol.

I might be crazy, but isn't that exactly what is happening later today?

one said:
K: We don't put an HDD in default.
one said:
So, I think we'll put Linux (on an HDD) from the beginning... as a bonus. To file it as a computer.

Soo.. they wont ship with an HDD, but a Linux+HDD Bundle will be available right from the start ? ( or am I interpreting that wrong )

If you can code for Linux you can code Games, if you distribute them or even sell them, Sony earn no money for the games - Whats actually stopping Game-companies to do just that ?
If some company sells Apps for PS3-Linux, does it need to pay Licenses too?
If youre not allowed to sell Programs for PS3-Linux, this will kick out alot of professional Coders.

Well,m I guess there will be dozens of Contracts you have to accept upon installing PS3-Linux :oops:

As much as I would like to code on the PS3, I believe it could open the box of pandora for Sony, if you can run code without trouble, thats half the work for getting backups to run( not saying it would be easy though) and they are gonna get some serious licensing trouble ( and if its only the lawyers needed to shutdown abuse ).

Cell's supposedly the absolute ultimate in DRM though, so maybe they're that confident on the subject.

xbdestroya said:
Cell's supposedly the absolute ultimate in DRM though, so maybe they're that confident on the subject.

DRM aint helping when you can develop yourself ( ie compile and run). In the worst case, distribute sources so anyone can compile himself (not that uncommon in Linux)

The only thing I could imagine is that I have to get a Certificate to be able to sign my own compiles to be able to run them, and when I did something nasty Sony will withdraw it. Thats would mean you would have to be connected to the Internet to run non-Sony Stuff.
And it would also wont stop someone else from getting my programm and sign it with his own Cert.

Well my reference to the DRM wasn't meant to preclude one from compiling or running their own stuff (or even custom apps), I was just bringing it up as a possible line of defense against people illegally running games of their hard drive or something.

Oh well in the end it doesn't matter - if they do indeed ship 'Linux for Cell' on the hard drives, then I give them much respect for that. They'll end up dealign with some headaches down the line due to the decision I have no doubt, but still how can I deny the novelty of it all?

I think what Sony has in store for us is bigger than anyone could imagine. And he is right people are doing alot of big things on the PSP today so what can you say. If the same can be true with the PS3 then how can anyone complain.

And did I understand correctly that Tiger, Linux, or Windows will be able to run on the PS3? :oops: And even more interesting at the same time. :oops: I don't know if Sony can pull this off this will be the biggest thing ever to hit the video game sector in history.

xbdestroya said:
Well my reference to the DRM wasn't meant to preclude one from compiling or running their own stuff (or even custom apps), I was just bringing it up as a possible line of defense against people illegally running games of their hard drive or something.

If you can run unsigned Code in Linux or sign executables yourself, the matter of breaking Protection is
1) decrypt signed Files of the Game (the right key & algorithm has to be stored inside the PS3).
2) patch game to boot from Linux

Without Linux you`d have the PS3 refusing to execute unsigned Binaries, with the key locked away unreachable at a Computer from Sony ( like its the case with PSP ). Thats a million time harder to break that 1&2

xbdestroya said:
Oh well in the end it doesn't matter - if they do indeed ship 'Linux for Cell' on the hard drives, then I give them much respect for that. They'll end up dealign with some headaches down the line due to the decision I have no doubt, but still how can I deny the novelty of it all?

I`d be all over it 8) . But I dont see a bright future if Sony goes bancrupt in the process.

pipo said:

Dropping the hard drive whilst keeping optional stuff like a built-in GigaE switch, card slots and all those HD inputs seems kinda backwards.

As I suggested before, if all PS3 content has to go through a Sony access portal, homebrew will enable anyone to create games, sell games, and Sony still get a cut. It'd be ideal.

As for Cell being no good for PC work, what work won't it be good for for the average Joe? I wordprocess, do digital image work, listen to music and video clips and surf the web. Cell can easily manage all these. From the Apple article (they tested Cell) they suggested the reason for not using Cell is because the programs would all need to be rewritten, as running existing code falls over due to lack of OOO features. Apple can't use Cell because old code won't run, not because it can't run a wordprocessor or art package or web browser.

Linux on PS3 could be a very capable platform and if Sony work it right, I could well see it becoming the spiritual successor to the Amiga (as long as they get a good, user friendly interface!) :D

Alpha_Spartan said:
Dropping the hard drive whilst keeping optional stuff like a built-in GigaE switch, card slots and all those HD inputs seems kinda backwards.

That "optional" stuff doesn't add up to the cost of the HDD, unfortunately. And some of it is arguably as optional as a HD..

As I suggested before, if all PS3 content has to go through a Sony access portal, homebrew will enable anyone to create games, sell games, and Sony still get a cut. It'd be ideal.
Sounds just like xbox market place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back