Joystiq: Zelda TP won't be released for GC *debunked

nintenho

Veteran
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/19/zelda-twilight-princess-for-gamecube-is-no-more/
We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Nintendo Gamecube, we hardly knew ye.

Joystiq has confirmed with numerous Gamestop and EB Games retailers that the Gamecube version of the newest Zelda offering has been removed from their computer system. Their websites have also been updated to reflect the change. We have yet to receive any official word from Nintendo, but all signs point to this as a done deal.

Get out the pine box and some nails, prepare to bury your Gamecube. It's over. The Gamecube is dead, long live the Wii.

Unless -- Nintendo announces they'll offer Zelda:TP from their online outlet like they will in Japan.
Not only do you have to buy a console to play it, but you have to play it with a wiimote which is not how it was originally designed.

I think this is a good move for nintendo, because now I'm going to buy a wii

I think any one who wanted the game before and didn't have a gamecube already would have gotten a used gamecube and the game for under $100, now most zelda fans will buy the system just for the game since it's the only way to play it

I think this is a good move for nintendo, because now I'm going to buy a wii
I think any one who wanted the game before and didn't have a gamecube already would have gotten a used gamecube and the game for under $100, now most zelda fans will buy the system just for the game since it's the only way to play it
But it's not even made for that controller. This will piss many people off. They knew a zelda game was coming, may have known there was a Wii option, but then they see it's going to be the only option.

I would be pissed if I kept a GC for over a year now just to play Zelda on it and it b cancelled.

Nintendo has stated repeatedly that it wasn't cancelled and they would be releasing both versions. To change plans right at the last minute would be a slap in the face.

But it's not even made for that controller. This will piss many people off. They knew a zelda game was coming, may have known there was a Wii option, but then they see it's going to be the only option.

I thought thats was why the game got pushed back the last time so the wii version would get proper/special controls

I would be pissed if I kept a GC for over a year now just to play Zelda on it and it b cancelled.

kinda, but it's not like you can sell a used gamecube for much, a year ago they were only buying them for $25-30 at my local gamestop, probably less then that now, it may have been traded in for one new game or maybe only a discount. not much reason to scrap it if you ask me, it does have a few classic games

Oh well, not a real surprise really. The GCN has been pretty much dead for awhile so I can certainly understand them using this game as leverage for Wii - more power to them.

I'm thinking that this should put the final nail in the coffin WRT GCN over taking Xbox for the #2 worldwide position though.

I'm thinking that this should put the final nail in the coffin WRT GCN over taking Xbox for the #2 worldwide position though.

That was never going to happen anyways.

I agree that this is a good move to help promote the Wii, but it's definitely going to hurt the potential sales of Zelda. I almost think it would have been better not to delay the GCN version to add Wii support, and instead released the game on the GCN as soon as it was ready, and then make a Wii version that was enhanced all around (Graphics, sound, etc...), as well as the added support for the controller.

Sorry to be off-topic, but why do people refer to the Gamecube as the GCN ? Shouldn't it be Nintendo Gamecube => NGC or Gamecube => GC ? GCN would imply Gamecube Nintendo wouldn't it...sorta backwards. You don't call PS2 PS2S...

Sorry to be off-topic, but why do people refer to the Gamecube as the GCN ? Shouldn't it be Nintendo Gamecube => NGC or Gamecube => GC ? GCN would imply Gamecube Nintendo wouldn't it...sorta backwards. You don't call PS2 PS2S...

NGC is taken by something else, AFAIR.

How far ahead of Nintendo is MS with the XBox anyway? I mean, we can't be talking more than 1-3 million I imagine...

That's no holocaust scenario IMO for for Nintendo.

This Twilight Princess news though, hmmm.... it obviously makes sense for Nintendo to do, but I have to say I'm slightly frustrated at it. Ah well, do I wait for Wii to go down in price (along with this game), or do I just make this winter console overload? I feel more inclined to go with the former actually... I hate having like five games to play at a time.

NGC = NeoGeo Color.

How far ahead of Nintendo is MS with the XBox anyway? I mean, we can't be talking more than 1-3 million I imagine....

Purely a guess at this point, but somewhere around 3 million. It was almost 4 million last December. Not some nightmare scenario, but with the rate the Gamecube is selling there is no chance of them catching up.

I'm not pissed off. I already traded in my GCN towards the Xbox 360. I intend to pay for my Wii in cash!

False alarm

Update 2: Nintendo's official statement: Online reports about the Nintendo GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are incorrect. The amazing game will be available at retail outlets nationwide on Dec. 13.]

I was gonna say... my GCN has been dying for this game. The last game I purchased for it was was MK:DD I believe. I don't have current plans to get a Wii, especially at $250, so this is good news.

How far ahead of Nintendo is MS with the XBox anyway? I mean, we can't be talking more than 1-3 million I imagine...

Regardless, it's not like there's a judge handing out trophies and ribbons. There's just consumer cash flowing into your coffers and shareholders to keep happy.

Back