Revolution Tech Details Emerge ( Xbox1+ performance, 128 MB RAM )

Guden Oden said:
From what we know tho, the revmote (bleh :p) isn't relying solely on the sensor bar, but also on a built-in solid-state accelerometer. So combining input from both sources, it is obviously possible to track the thing in all three (major) dimensions, since Nintendo has demonstrated it in public. AND it worked.
So you suggest they are using different tracking techniques for some of the directions?
:LOL:
How well do you think that would work?
As far as we know, there is no accelerometer in the revmote, but a tiltometer or gyro or whatever. Something that can sense the tilt of the controller, like in the flying demo talked about in the TGS article.

Fox5 said:
There's also House of the Dead 2 and some other light gun games for PC. (oh, and dreamcast worked just fine with lightguns on a computer monitor)

And the arcade lightguns always seemed to have some advantages the home ones didn't...

1. Arcade screens don't have to flash like home screens.
2. Arcade lightgun games don't seem to need calibration when turned on; though since an arcade lightgun game will only have 2 or 3 different screen sizes/types at most it could be precalibrated.
3. I've found home lightguns don't have the same precision as arcade lightguns, and can even shoot way off target randomly.
4. The arcade lightguns can tell where you're aiming at all times, not just when you shoot. (since somehow they don't rely on the screen to flash) Actually, from what I remember of the gun calibration mode in house of the dead 2 on dreamcast I think it could tell where you were aiming too, but it was very sporadic and wasn't made use of at all in the actual game. Of course, this could just be down to the quality of the lightgun; anyone know how the Time Crisis series on PS2 fairs? (I think the time crisis guns have an extra cable as well....maybe the old school serial ports of from old consoles just didn't have the bandwidth to properly support a lightgun, while the USB ports on PS2 and the USB derived xbox ports do?)

1. Arcade screens DO have to flash(I'm an arcade repair tech), or they can also turn the screen white for a constant scan.

2. Arcade games do have to be calibrated...but since it stays on one screen it just saves the calibration to NVRAM.

3. Home light guns use the exact same technology, so the precision is all in your screen brightness/room brightness/calibration.

4. The only games that can tell where the gun is at all times have a special set of sensors that triangulate where the gun is. It's not a traditional light gun like most games use.

The PS1/2 Time Crisis guns run a copy of the video signal straight to the gun so it can better tell where you are shooting.

EDIT-The Silent Scope gun for Xbox is a totally standard lightgun. It can track where you are shooting because you have to turn up your screen brightness really high. Larger CRT's that have a bad curve in them make it hard to play(from personal experience).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back