Wii Sales: Less Than Meets the Eye

Miyamoto spoke out against Developers doing just that. He brought up the point that developers have created the problem of poor sales on Nintendo consoles themselves. When Developers use their 3rd and 4th string teams to produce games for Nintendo consoles, they're going up against the 1st and 2nd string Nintendo teams all the time.

That's why their titles haven't sold all that well in the last couple of generations. If they would dedicate their 1st and 2nd string teams to bringing quality games out, people would buy them.

For a Nintendo platform more than any other, the "hardcore" nintendo fan base is used to high quality N' games, and buys those. Put out crap, and that fan base is conditioned to ignore it.

You mean against developers putting crap on their consoles right?

You mean against developers putting crap on their consoles right?

Yea. He was right pissed at devs putting their shovelware on Nintendo consoles, and then said developers complaining that their software doesn't sell. That's why he was like "Well if you'd stop putting your shitty dev teams on our system, you'd do better. We always do our best."

Well, he didn't say it exactly like that, but that's what he meant. :)

Yea. He was right pissed at devs putting their shovelware on Nintendo consoles, and then said developers complaining that their software doesn't sell. That's why he was like "Well if you'd stop putting your shitty dev teams on our system, you'd do better. We always do our best."

If I read this yesterday I would have wholeheartedly believed it to be true in the "highly probable" sense...

However after reading on gi.biz today of Miyamoto speaking out regarding the poor sales of what has to be considered a flagship nintendo franchise (Zelda) in what must be considered their most dominant market (Japan) it throws this idea into question considerably...

I find it hard to believe that a game like Zelda which has historically been considered a system-seller title could fair so badly sales-wise especially when the hardware sales are currently moving in the exact opposite direction..
Could it be that this new Wii fanbase are far from the translated (and extended) GC userbase as first assumed, but a new base made predominantly up of DS converts and non-gamers whose affinities reside directly in the novelty of the controller and not in any prior nintendo franchise-related-experience?

Could it be that the new nintendo platform (in Japan at least) is fast becoming a base for gamers who really don't want the traditionally deep and engaging titles with rich, immersive gameplay but the Brain-age, Wii Play, quick and dirty fun of these casual gaming experiences..?

I think this news is as much of a shock revelation to nintendo as it is to the rest of us and the real question is how will it affect the development of Wii titles going forward from both first and third party developers..? Does this mean party-games all-the-way for the Wii or are we ever going to see a much desired mixture of both those and the more traditional "hardcore" title (with the evolved input mechanics)..?

Interesting (and possibly rather disturbing) stuff..

unfortunately Myiamoto's way of seeing things this time is reversed against his games, but great for their business which is ironic

Wii seems to get bigger shovelware than previously that sell, and their console continue to sell despite the crap these devs are getting to the console. His games dont seem to get the approptiate attention and Wii doesnt seem to sell because of Nintendo's offerings but due to the idea of the controller

archangelmorph,

1) Zelda has never been a launch title. Ever.

2) The Wii has been supply constrained since Day 1. Kind of puts a damper on your argument no?

3) Zelda has sold over 1 million copies already. There are only ~6-7 million Wii owners out there.

unfortunately Myiamoto's way of seeing things this time is reversed against his games, but great for their business which is ironic

Wii seems to get bigger shovelware than previously that sell, and their console continue to sell despite the crap these devs are getting to the console. His games dont seem to get the approptiate attention and Wii doesnt seem to sell because of Nintendo's offerings but due to the idea of the controller

And you're basing this on...... what exactly?

However after reading on gi.biz today of Miyamoto speaking out regarding the poor sales of what has to be considered a flagship nintendo franchise (Zelda) in what must be considered their most dominant market (Japan) it throws this idea into question considerably...

AFAIK the recent Zelda games have all been more popular in the US and in Europe than in Japan (though the difference is not as blatant as, for example, with the Metroid-franchise). Furthermore, TP's more "realistic" style did probably fare better with a western audience, so that's probably another reason for the sales difference. However, combined worldwide sales of the Wii and the GC version have already surpassed those of Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. In its FY07 report, Nintendo mentions 4.6 mio. units sold worldwide, which is about as much as the original A Link to the Past on the SNES sold in its entire lifetime. It probably won't sell as much as Ocarina of Time or the orginal Zelda (7.5 mio and 6.5 mio respectively, IIRC), but it is still already the 3rd best selling Zelda game ever, so things definitely don't look as bad as Miyamoto makes them out to be - at least on a worldwide scale.

And you're basing this on...... what exactly?

On the fact that Wii both sells very much and shovelware/ugly ports, mediocre attempts by third party developers continue on it at the same time, possibly because their games sell on it without hindering Wii's sales.

On the fact that Wii both sells very much and shovelware/ugly ports, mediocre attempts by third party developers continue on it at the same time, possibly because their games sell on it without hindering Wii's sales.

Do you know what the breakdown of sales are on the Wii wrt the shovelware/ugly ports? Or do you assume that the Wii is selling really well, therefore all of the crap games that have been shoved to the system must be selling really well too?

AFAIK the recent Zelda games have all been more popular in the US and in Europe than in Japan (though the difference is not as blatant as, for example, with the Metroid-franchise). Furthermore, TP's more "realistic" style did probably fare better with a western audience, so that's probably another reason for the sales difference. However, combined worldwide sales of the Wii and the GC version have already surpassed those of Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. In its FY07 report, Nintendo mentions 4.6 mio. units sold worldwide, which is about as much as the original A Link to the Past on the SNES sold in its entire lifetime. It probably won't sell as much as Ocarina of Time or the orginal Zelda (7.5 mio and 6.5 mio respectively, IIRC), but it is still already the 3rd best selling Zelda game ever, so things definitely don't look as bad as Miyamoto makes them out to be - at least on a worldwide scale.

Ah thanks for the information!

I had know idea of actual sales figures for the title, I was just going off what Miyamoto stated in the GI.biz article..

Now that you've put the figures into perspective I can see that the franchise doesn't have a problem in terms of overall sales but one with respect to the Japanese market alone, which I assumed to be the case however without global sales information at hand I assumed the difference wouldn't have been so significant..

Maybe it's just an issue of shifting tastes of the Japanese market.. *shrug*..

Who knows..

archangelmorph,

1) Zelda has never been a launch title. Ever.
I never said it had.. ?? :???:

2) The Wii has been supply constrained since Day 1. Kind of puts a damper on your argument no?
only if total sales thus far have been small enough to affect sales of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises..

3) Zelda has sold over 1 million copies already. There are only ~6-7 million Wii owners out there.
This I didn't know.. I guess it validates your second point too then.. :D

#1 set up #2 in the same way that #2 set up #3 ;)

Basically, you mentioned that Zelda has been a system seller, which is true. However, if you're dealing with Zelda in the confines of a launch title and a supply constrained system, it can't really move systems. :)

#1 set up #2 in the same way that #2 set up #3 ;)

Basically, you mentioned that Zelda has been a system seller, which is true. However, if you're dealing with Zelda in the confines of a launch title and a supply constrained system, it can't really move systems. :)

Possibly Natoma.. But then I'm sure Zelda sales (in the context of Miyamoto's statement) include sales across all platforms and therefore one *could* always ask why "real" Zelda fans didn't go out and pick it up on the GC (a hardware platform that would probably cost less than the game to get hold of) if the Wii's supply constraints were really strong enough factors to keep them from purchasing the title?

*Shrug*

Do you know what the breakdown of sales are on the Wii wrt the shovelware/ugly ports? Or do you assume that the Wii is selling really well, therefore all of the crap games that have been shoved to the system must be selling really well too?
No. I did not refer to software sales. I am pointing out the differnece between GC and Wii irrespectively of software sales.

The first didnt do well due to supposed crap games that opposed Nintendo's quality work.

This time Wii is selling hugely well when it comes to hardware sales, but still gets the shovelware, and probably even more than previously.

No. I did not refer to software sales. I am pointing out the differnece between GC and Wii irrespectively of software sales.

The first didnt do well due to supposed crap games that opposed Nintendo's quality work.

This time Wii is selling hugely well when it comes to hardware sales, but still gets the shovelware, and probably even more than previously.

Uhm, Wii's been out for 6 months. How are you going to compare a 6 month old console's library (quality games vs shovelware, etc) to a console that's 6-7 years old? :???:

The logic in this thread baffles me sometimes.......

Uhm, Wii's been out for 6 months. How are you going to compare a 6 month old console's library (quality games vs shovelware, etc) to a console that's 6-7 years old? :???:

The logic in this thread baffles me sometimes.......
Its been 6 months and has sold 6 million and still sells like a console that launched yesterday. Nothing stopped it from exceeding sales records

Thats what makes the difference compared to other examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its because of the price? at some point there wont be any people left willing to pay 400+ for a console with little good games while 250 and a bunch of good/decent games might be a better deal.

Its been 6 months and has sold 6 million and still sells like a console that launched yesterday. Nothing stopped it from exceeding sales records

Thats what makes the difference compared to other examples.

The games currently on Wii are ones that were started well before Wii was even released, so the fact that its sold well since release has no baring on those games what so ever. We'll have to wait until 2008 to see what effect Wii's great sales will have on the quality of its games library and a hell of a lot longer before we can compare it to GC's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back