Joystiq RIP?

They're dropping like flies! First C&VG, the oldest gaming mag/site, now Joystiq - who admittedly I only read from time to time.

I don't know. I have had trouble finding sites that actually gave me valuable insights, information or reviews forever. I'm not a big fan even of Eurogamer, but it's still my preferred site. When I look at something like metacritic, I see so many sites posting reviews that I think are sloppy uninformative opinion pieces it's not even funny, and the 'news' they post is generally nothing that even comes close to actual journalism.

I miss magazines like ACE.

Edit: huh!

In late February, Edge is moving to GamesRadar+. We’ll be joining CVG, Official PlayStation Magazine, Official Xbox Magazine and GameMaster to create the most comprehensive gaming website in the world. Articles from the Edge archive will be available alongside new interviews, opinion and features and the best content from the website will be migrated over…

At first, before reading the initial post of your thread, I thought you were talking about the physical joystick, save the typo...

It's quite sad to see them go and a sad day to game journalism. I think there are just too many video gaming sites and sometimes one wonder how they all can fit and survive, but variety is good for the industry whether you agree or not with many of them -I don't particularly like some sites-.

I just hope they could merge with some other gaming site, but Internet and youtubers have hit gaming sites hard with their visits, something that gaming sites can't live up to.

Other than that I also felt saddened to see that Rev3games decided to close doors too quite recently.

Last edited:
It says a lot that I had not visited Joystiq much lately, lately being at least 2-3 years.

Nothing against them, they seemed fine, if prone to the usual smug writing that infects blogs. But it shows they weren't really fulfilling a need at least for me.

Their managing editor was a trainwreck, but it's always sad to see people losing their jobs.

We knew that in the beginning of the year we'd see the results of all the letters and e-mails being sent to advertisers. I guess this is it.
To be honest, I'd much rather see Polygon getting the axe than Joystiq.

Gaming Journalism doesn't have to be your source for videogame content. Gaming Journalism is dead.
2010 me would be horrified to see his 2015 self writing this, but it's the sad truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this another casualty of Gamergate fallout? It sure seems like the main problem is that somebody got their journalism (and all the schooling and everything that goes with it) chocolate in everybody's gaming peanut butter.

Either way, at least this thread led me to this link:
http://www.joystiq.com/2015/02/03/games-of-a-lifetime-alexanders-picks/#continued

Which reminded me of how much fun I had playing Hunt the Wumpus. Then again, I'm still unsure as to why the main character in that game couldn't have been female.

So is this another casualty of Gamergate fallout?

I very strongly doubt that. "Gamergate" will have generated eyeballs so I seriously doubt any beancounters had a problem with it, hell they probably want more controversy. Their demise is far more likely a result of the rise of Twitch / Youtube for gaming content plus Facebook's swallowing up of mobile views than any short term outrage.

Personally I found Joystiq one of the few major-ish outlets that was usually worth looking at. That said, I have much more faith in watching streamers I have grown to trust play games for real than payola influenced reviews from IGN, Gamespot and the like.

Cheers

Never thought much of Joystick. Seemed like "just another VG blogsite" posting clickbait articles and fanning the flames of the fanboy wars for hits.

I get most of my gaming industry news from sites like Gamasutra and Gamesindustry.biz, or web forums. Sites like IGN, Gamespot, GiantBomb, Eurogamer, Joystick, Poly[pocket]gon and the like are of no value to the average gamer who is looking for real trustworthy and honest reviews/news.

I very strongly doubt that. "Gamergate" will have generated eyeballs so I seriously doubt any beancounters had a problem with it, hell they probably want more controversy.

Oh, I just got that from Tranz's link to their managing editor acting like a child because ownership was being influenced by the whole thing.

Their demise is far more likely a result of the rise of Twitch / Youtube for gaming content plus Facebook's swallowing up of mobile views than any short term outrage.

Personally I found Joystiq one of the few major-ish outlets that was usually worth looking at. That said, I have much more faith in watching streamers I have grown to trust play games for real than payola influenced reviews from IGN, Gamespot and the like.

Cheers

I used them as pretty much a news feed, rarely paying any attention to the merits or 'meat' of their stories or reviews. That said, when I do occasionally read reviews, I typically then move on to Youtube reviews that show actual game play. So I can see why a majority of people would find the first step of reading a typed review completely without merit.

Back