Forza Motorsport [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

When one of the highlight criticisms is 'Microsoft 1st party game doesn't support Sony controller', I think we're definitely reaching pretty hard for outrage. Especially when you end with the suggestion that this game shouldn't have been released because of it. I feel like this is really just proving the point that there are definitely a lot of people who are really just out to seek flaws and things to complain about. You can see when things start to snowball and discourse starts to devolve into sheepish piling on.

But why the double standard?

People expect Sony first party titles to also work with Xbox controller.

Btw forza motorsport does work with dualshock 4. What it doesn't work is with dualsense.

Edit: to be clear, I didn't expect microsoft 1st party controller to suppoet dualsense haptics

But why the double standard?

People expect Sony first party titles to also work with Xbox controller.

Btw forza motorsport does work with dualshock 4. What it doesn't work is with dualsense.

Edit: to be clear, I didn't expect microsoft 1st party controller to suppoet dualsense haptics
Xbox controller has been the default 'PC controller' standard for like fifteen years. That's the reason for this so-called 'double standard'. Playstation controllers were barely even properly supported until quite recently.

Either way, my main point is this is such a minor gripe yet you're painting it as a straight up showstopper issue that should have meant the game shouldn't even be released. I dont know how to keep emphasizing how insanely reactionary and hyperbolic the online gaming community has become. It is almost painful trying to find good, reasonable discussion about games anymore. What the hell happened?

In the case of FM8 the reaction seems completely understandable, imo. Even something as cut-and-dried as how the cars look seems to defy a prevailing consensus. That kind of mixed reaction is expected for something like Starfield where you've got indoors, outdoors, artificial light, natural light, hard/synthetic and organic surfaces. In the case of FM8 we're talking about cars in a car game. Beyond that it's a pretty feature-stripped release, a multi-platform release (the expected PC port pitfalls), a Game Pass release (a lot of general audience hot takes), and there's been two very popular Forza Horizon titles since the last Motorsport that's probably moved the goalposts for a lot of people.

Again, they said accolades, not review score. Funnily enough, I just listened to the latest Friends per Second podcast and the four reviewers said the same thing about Spidey 2 at about 63mins: “In my mind it’s the best PS5 exclusive game. I know it’s not the deepest bench.” Sounds about the same to me, but maybe I’m being too generous.

I didn’t see that (“the devs would pay”) in your pic.

I’m not saying it’s out of the realm of possibility. I just don’t see the evidence of anti-MS conspiracy in your two pics.

And I cannot stress how disingenuous* it seems to try to color otherwise reasonable statements with a pic of the guy in costume. Was he dressed as Kratos while he wrote the review? Is it not possible for him to like both God of War and Halo?

*I’m not saying you’re being disingenuous, just the person who made that collage. I’m sure you used it out of convenience.
What is a positive review score if not an accolade ?

Your quote at no time says anything about limiting the game. INfact they are saying the opposite in your quote.

Dan states there will be anger and backlash. Would giving the game a low review score not be backlash ? Would his angry tweets at MS purchasing companies not be backlash ?

Is there are a slew of Tweets from him complaining about Sony purchasing companies. They have purchased what 12 or so in the last 5 years and I can't find an single tweet of him saying anything remotely similar.

Like I said some people will just continue to ignore the bias even when the one with the bias lays it out in front of everyone

Always interesting how people's experiences differ. I also love the Bungie Halo games while absolutely hating Halo 4 and 5. I was prepared to trash Halo: Infinite on launch ... but I loved Halo: Infinite and would have given that an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10 for the gameplay even though the end was obviously rushed.

Regards,
SB
I had a similar experiance to you. I also never cared for the multiplayer in any halo. So I had a great time with infinte.

In the case of FM8 the reaction seems completely understandable, imo. Even something as cut-and-dried as how the cars look seems to defy a prevailing consensus. That kind of mixed reaction is expected for something like Starfield where you've got indoors, outdoors, artificial light, natural light, hard/synthetic and organic surfaces. In the case of FM8 we're talking about cars in a car game. Beyond that it's a pretty feature-stripped release, a multi-platform release (the expected PC port pitfalls), a Game Pass release (a lot of general audience hot takes), and there's been two very popular Forza Horizon titles since the last Motorsport that's probably moved the goalposts for a lot of people.
I dont think anybody would deny FM is not in the top shape that it really should be. Nobody is saying it deserves 10/10 accolades.

But people are undoubtedly focusing on any negatives they can and even trying to search out more negatives just to pile on. While almost no attention gets put on the many things it does really well. Some cars not looking quite as good as they could is not a sign the whole game is terrible. And as for 'feature-stripped', it's a mixed bag. Its actual multiplayer component is a vast improvement on what it had before, and for a lot of sim racer types, this is an insanely big deal. Forza Motorsport had also always been a mixed bag in terms of modes and whatnot, but again, people are simply more hyperbolic and reactionary these days.

I'm getting to the point where I think if anybody just wants to innocently enjoy games(or even shows or movies), the best bet is to just stop going online to talk about them. Cuz social media algorithms are simply encouraging people to become more and more reactionary. But it's a double edged sword, cuz if more people do this, any lack of pushback on the 'hot take' world of social media will just make it even worse.

Its actual multiplayer component is a vast improvement on what it had before

I mainly played FM7's multiplayer for the open lobby/track days, something that's absent from FM8. There's a contingent of folks that liked to drift, drag race, compare tunes outside of a structured pre-scheduled race environment. Your favorite cars, tracks, and modes may or may not be present. If the subset of things that FM8 happens to deliver fits well with how you expected to engage with it then you'll be satisfied. The more pieces that are missing makes it less and less attractive.

My take: the rumble strips feel nicer to drive over, but it's missing several of my favorite cars, lacks my go-to MP mode, and the performance vs visuals tradeoff is, at best, "meh". I'm not going to brandish a pitchfork over it, but it's firmly in the camp of, "maybe in a year it'll fully supersede FM7."

Xbox controller has been the default 'PC controller' standard for like fifteen years. That's the reason for this so-called 'double standard'. Playstation controllers were barely even properly supported until quite recently.

Either way, my main point is this is such a minor gripe yet you're painting it as a straight up showstopper issue that should have meant the game shouldn't even be released. I dont know how to keep emphasizing how insanely reactionary and hyperbolic the online gaming community has become. It is almost painful trying to find good, reasonable discussion about games anymore. What the hell happened?
My original post was trying to say that it's the combination of aggravating factors that made me baffled this game got greenlit for launch.

People will have different aggravating factors.

For example, I think cyberpunk 2077 at launch was already good on PC. Because I didn't get the issues other people mentioned and/or the issues other people thinks as issues are not an issue for me.

Oh and about controller support, it's skewed in FM probably due to gamepass players are playing it thru xbox on windows.

Steam players, controller compatibility is automatically a non issue due to steam buildin controller compatibility layer

When one of the highlight criticisms is 'Microsoft 1st party game doesn't support Sony controller', I think we're definitely reaching pretty hard for outrage. Especially when you end with the suggestion that this game shouldn't have been released because of it. I feel like this is really just proving the point that there are definitely a lot of people who are really just out to seek flaws and things to complain about. You can see when things start to snowball and discourse starts to devolve into sheepish piling on.
Curious, do PS first party games on PC support XBOX controllers?
Or is he just referring to Dual Sense's unique features?

Curious, do PS first party games on PC support XBOX controllers?
Or is he just referring to Dual Sense's unique features?
i would say depends where do you get them, on Steam there is absolutely no issues at all. I have been using ps4, xsx and old logitech controller without any issues at all.
Best thing is that Steam can "translate" your custom controller to either xbox or ps official one. Before (or when using windows store) i had to use controller emulator so the game "see" my controller as official xbox one for example.

GT7 is much better for your taste. Simply because gt7 give much more freedom from the get go.

Yes lots of stuff are locked behind the Cafe Quests. But many are already available outside Cafe.

While FM basically locked you in gt7 Cafe mode for prolonged period

Thanks.
Cafe mode seems like a nice way of guiding a very casual racing fan.
How are the controls? I could image that some features of the PS5 controller could benefit the experience?

Thanks.
Cafe mode seems like a nice way of guiding a very casual racing fan.
How are the controls? I could image that some features of the PS5 controller could benefit the experience?
i mainly play with steering wheel on PS4. but with controller, you can steer by holding the PS controller in the air and physically rotating it.

i find it extremely tiring lol.

i mainly play with steering wheel on PS4. but with controller, you can steer by holding the PS controller in the air and physically rotating it.

i find it extremely tiring lol.

That sound extremly tiring and boring =) I was thinking about things like the adaptive triggers, but those are only on the ps5 controller.

Given the state of the game, this seem plausible. No way this product is 6 years of development "From the ground up" given the heavy reuse of older models throughout. Game seems more inline with a 2 year rush to market job.

Last edited:
Yeah. This game went off the rails a bit, but I wonder how much online competitive sim racing is even much of a thing on console anymore. They should fix it though.

For myself, I'll admit that I played it for a few hours and had fun, but the graphics didn't blow me away enough to keep me playing this over Forza Horizon 5. I do plan to go back to it, but one of the things with GP games from MS is that you know they aren't going anywhere, so you can wait if you're getting your fix somewhere else. I didn't really have time to play this and Starfield, Lies of P, Persona games etc.... this holiday.

I'll believe people when they say the online is borked, as I'm not expert on that, but I also think concurrent Steam numbers in the age of GP are almost meaningless when they are negative.

I'll finish by saying that Turn 10 should have done better after so many years, but if Cyberpunk can make a comeback almost anything can. MS would be wise to sink the resources into revitalizing the Forza Motorsport brand.

Last edited:
Back