Forza Motorsport [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Opeth

Newcomer
Surprised there wasn't a thread for this already.

I think its looking great so far, the mirror like race traced reflections leave a lot to be desired IMO but the texture work is looking really good. Not a fan of the piss filter on Laguna though!

Screenshots:

Forza_Motorsport-XboxDeveloperDirectShowcase2023-PressKit-02-16x9_WM-1c566572d385ad3d832b.jpg

Forza_Motorsport-XboxDeveloperDirectShowcase2023-PressKit-06-16x9_WM-b44044a2415b13902b4b.jpg

Forza_Motorsport-XboxDeveloperDirectShowcase2023-PressKit-03-16x9_WM-1b1a8e12b5c2ba4db987.jpg

Additional shots:

forza-motorsport-image-2.jpgforza-motorsport-image.jpgforza-motorsport-image-5.jpgforza-motorsport-image-7.jpgforza-motorsport-image-4.jpgforza-motorsport-image-9.jpgfm-reveal-002-20220612.jpgforza-motorsport-image-10.jpg

Attachments

• forza-motorsport-image-6.jpg
    forza-motorsport-image-6.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 18
  • forza-motorsport-image-5 (1).jpg
    forza-motorsport-image-5 (1).jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 17
The detail is nuts. Even insignificant objects received impressive attention. There is believable subsurface scattering on cones as well as dirt and erosion

The wear and tear (for example chipped and missing paint from rocks thrown up by cars in front) is impressive on the cars. The damage from collisions is also impressive.

Can't wait to see what Playground end up doing with this engine update.

Regards,
SB

The detail is nuts. Even insignificant objects received impressive attention. There is believable subsurface scattering on cones as well as dirt and erosion
Everything looks amazing except for one nitpick I have, and one that matters given the game's genre - bare metal material shaders are still dull and dated looking to a degree. It's a problem Forza has had for a while now and I was really expecting this game to overhaul this drastically, but I'm still seeing the same problem. It's better, but it's still not quite up to par with basically everything else, so stands out. Where I notice it most tends to be the wheel rims, though it can be seen on the engines on the rarer occasions where those are actually prominent.

But yea, otherwise, it's definitely shaping up to be a proper next gen experience. The upgrade to environmental detail in particular is beyond anything we've seen in a sim-style racing game so far. And this matters a lot in terms of improving the immersiveness of the experience. :p

Everything looks amazing except for one nitpick I have, and one that matters given the game's genre - bare metal material shaders are still dull and dated looking to a degree. It's a problem Forza has had for a while now and I was really expecting this game to overhaul this drastically, but I'm still seeing the same problem. It's better, but it's still not quite up to par with basically everything else, so stands out. Where I notice it most tends to be the wheel rims, though it can be seen on the engines on the rarer occasions where those are actually prominent.

But yea, otherwise, it's definitely shaping up to be a proper next gen experience. The upgrade to environmental detail in particular is beyond anything we've seen in a sim-style racing game so far. And this matters a lot in terms of improving the immersiveness of the experience. :p

The headlight lenses are still well below Gran Turismo too.

I don't expect them to.
But I think FM could actually work well as a shadow drop.
Doubt it's going to get huge marketing, long standing smaller appeal game with long tails. There pretty close to GAAS.
Could be wrong I'm also seeing it as a min 4+ year title.

Start marketing day off release, or even week later and call it early access. Let the players hype it up.

80% of people who are intrested in it will know it got released the very same day.

I don't expect them to.
But I think FM could actually work well as a shadow drop.
Doubt it's going to get huge marketing, long standing smaller appeal game with long tails. There pretty close to GAAS.
Could be wrong I'm also seeing it as a min 4+ year title.

Start marketing day off release, or even week later and call it early access. Let the players hype it up.

80% of people who are intrested in it will know it got released the very same day.
I agree, FM doesn't pull weight like it used to, thanks to the popularity of Horizon and the stagnation or even regression of the motorsport titles (FM4 was sublime). FM has become more niche, and niche products thrive on word of mouth. Assetto Corsa when released was a niche and brilliant but very restricted sim, but through word of mouth the title gained huge popularity thanks to the positive word of mouth around it. FM needs to hit this level of glowing player feedback to thrive like the series once did. Maybe gamepass makes all this slightly less important but man I just want another brilliant Forza Motorsport game that fires on all cylinders ala FM4.

Confirmed the PC version will have option for RTGI!!!!!

Confirmed the PC version will have option for RTGI!!!!!

This is a big deal

So the career mode is just.......weird. They are basically just, as usual, rejigging what they've always done, which is just weird mishmashes of events instead of building a proper CAREER mode.

I've been such a longtime Forza Motorsport fan, but I'm really losing faith. They've had so much time to completely reboot the franchise, and it really just looks like any new standard entry, just changing up a few things here and there as always. There's absolutely nothing here that looks like they've used those seven years of development time to really rethink and rebuild any of the fundamentals except maybe the economy.

Unless they're just really terrible at showing it or something - god I want to be able to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm just not seeing it.

EDIT: Oh man, you cant just buy upgrades for your car anymore, you first have to 'level' the car up by using it, and then spending Car Credits(which is just a hilariously weird way of saying money/currency). I dont mind the idea of spending more time with individual cars, but many cars just drive terribly out the gate, or simply might need certain upgrades to be competitive in a specific race/series. I can see it being frustrating having to go 'grind levels' for your car first to be able to unlock these upgrades(that you still seemingly have to pay for?).

EDIT2: More details - there's the standard monetization. Instead of offering free cars updates like GT Sport/GT7, they're still gonna charge for car packs and whatnot. Also, all progression systems require an online connection. Woof.

My only big hope at this point is that the AI is as good as they're making it sound, where they say it's as fast as the fastest drivers *without cheating*, and that's a big old Press X for Doubt to me. That said, if the AI can be genuinely competitive at higher difficulties, that will probably still be enough for me to have a good time with the game. I mean, I'll be getting it at some point no matter what(just need a new PC first...), but I really was hoping for a more drastic overhaul than just the graphics.

They're still offering free tracks and cars over time.

They're still offering free tracks and cars over time.
We'll get some token cars for free as we have with the last few entries, but they said they're still doing car packs, which means the vast majority of new cars are gonna be behind a paywall, as always.

Back