Josh Robinson's blog on PS3/XBOX360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edge said:
Too funny, considering the countless posts on this forum debating that very point. If you want to believe the 360 is more powerful, than good for you.
And if you want to believe that a conclusion can be reached in a forum debate when PS3 hasn't even been released, or even final specs on RSX are known, then good for you.

This guy(or rather his programmers) knows much more about the PS3 architecture than you do.

Your assertion that this guy must be wrong, because Beyond3d has had a few theoretical debates based on uncomplete specs is laughable. (btw: the results of those debates has essentially been "we'll have to wait and see")

Last edited by a moderator:
seismologist said:
" What most developers are doing are just making a PC game. Then when they get the final system they'll put it on the ps3. "

So they haven't even started programming for the PS3 yet but the Xbox 360 is better? The guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.
actually he said, that happens in every launch.. including the 360 launch.

Titanio said:
Because much of what he is saying is inconsistent with what we've seen for ourselves, to date, and what we've heard from other devs. When you see an inconsistency, or something which you believe not to be true, do you not call that out?

Not if it wasn't addressed to me, or not within the context of a conversation I have *joined.* Which in this thread I have, so a little irony there...

I mean what are you suggesting, a task-force be set-up to go looking for blog entries all over the net that contradict what we know to be 'good and true' in this world? ;)

xbdestroya said:
Yes I have. But... why does he *need* to be called out?

To be fair when a person in his position makes statements like he did, he should be called out. Not in a "He's a liar" kind of way, but more of a "How does he know what other PS3 devs are doing" kind of way.

scooby_dooby said:
...This guy(or rather his programmers) knows much more about the PS3 architecture than you do.

Probably not so much because otherwise they wouldn't: "What most developers are doing are just making a PC game. Then when they get the final system they'll put it on the ps3."

scooby_dooby said:
Why? Is it so unreasonable to think the 360 coupld possibly be more powerful? I'm not saying it's so, but what would be most 'reasonable' is to take his comments at face value 'it can just do more' instead of trying to find excuses as to why his opinion is not valid.

As for being a PC dev, his team has presumably been working on a PS3 title before E3 2005 right? So that's quit some time...

as for the NDA:
"I'm very aware of the NDA and I have not broken it or mentioned anything that is not public knowledge already. I have not leaked any technology, i have not shown the box, i have not shown any art or even mentioned the title. I did give some opinions however. that does not break NDA."
http://www.downinfront.tv/option,co...nc,view/id,20/catid,9/limit,10/limitstart,20/

I bet all i have that if that guy say tomorow that the PS3 is more powerful,you will disscredict him for been a Sony enploy.

Many developer have already say who has the most powerful hardware and who has the more user friendly.

But when they point at the PS3 the disscredict star.

xbdestroya said:
Not if it wasn't addressed to me, or not within the context of a conversation I have *joined.* Which in this thread I have, so a little irony there...

I mean what are you suggesting, a task-force be set-up to go looking for blog entries all over the net that contradict what we know to be 'good and true' in this world? ;)

It wasn't a blog post, it was written and published as an article for DowninFront.tv, and titled "PS3 Console Review".

xbdestroya said:

No, because we as the B3D unit already know that what he said is false. EA had a real demo showing. How did they have the only real one? Sorry xbd, but the guy is just flat wrong about the other demos and he's more than likely wrong about the other PS3 games.

I doubt Ninja Theory is still programming as if they were on a PC. I mean shouldn't they be programming hard to use the SPE's now?

valioso said:
actually he said, that happens in every launch.. including the 360 launch.

I know that he said that. The part Im questioning is what he said about 360 being better based on the fact that they're programming the PS3 like it's a PC...

I would be equally as skeptical if an MS employee said 360 was superior, take it with less tha a grain of salt.

However, when you see an MS dev/employee saying PS3 is superior, or a Sony employee saying 360 is more powerful, well that certainly deserves more credit, that's only logical.

mckmas8808 said:
No, because we as the B3D unit already know that what he said is false. EA had a real demo showing. How did they have the only real one? Sorry xbd, but the guy is just flat wrong about the other demos and he's more than likely wrong about the other PS3 games.

I doubt Ninja Theory is still programming as if they were on a PC. I mean shouldn't they be programming hard to use the SPE's now?

Heavenly sword is not a launch game...so what's your point?

We don't even know what the launch line-up is, so how can anyone possibly "know" this guy is wrong? We don't "know" anything...we've seen videos...

xbdestroya said:

No, but this has been presented here. Hence people here might now pick up on some things he says, if they disagree?

A most weird thread, by all accounts, I have to say! :D

I would really be interested in what the other developers working on PS3 think of this guys statements. Anyone..........

Well lets see here. I'm not sure if your ACTUALLY curious about my answer. But I'll certainly answer any questions you have to the best of my abilities.

Why should anyone believe a word that I say? Well i guess no one has to believe me. I guess anyone can flat out LIE about anything. For what its worth however, I am qualified to have an opinion. ( Unlike MOST the rumor mongering journalists your talking about). I have been in the gaming business as a professional 3D artist for the better part of 10 years. I am a published author on a major 3D package due out in the next 8 weeks. I have developed on the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PC. I currently work for SONY and have spent almost my entire career developing on their platforms. I was one of the very very few artists in the United States lucky enough to work on a demo to be shown at a closed door viewing for e32005.
i think some time people read what they want to read...in regard to lazy pC dev...
Hence his last talk seems less negative, i don't speak again of the xbox360 better than PS3.
Anyway I don't give a shit about what System is the more powerfull, i haven't buy a console that gen(i've buy console since the NES) for some reason.
But i'll buy a next gen one, but i still don't know witch, i think i'll buy the system that fits me the better even if it's from BigN , MS or Sony.
there is too much respected ******s on that board... i'm sad...

scooby_dooby said:
Heavenly sword is not a launch game...so what's your point?

We don't even know what the launch line-up is, so how can anyone possibly "know" this guy is wrong? We don't "know" anything...we've seen videos...

Hasn't it been in development for close to 3 years now? And we don't know either way if it is a launch game or not. This guy is saying the PS3 games are looking like PC games without using blah, blah, blah.

Vennt said:
It wasn't a blog post, it was written and published as an article for DowninFront.tv, and titled "PS3 Console Review".

Well, good to know. ;)

Anyway whatever, I'll stop trying to prevent people from railroading this guy if that's what everyone wants to do. :p

But seriously, nothing he's said has rattled me in the least... and if it seems no one else here even believes him, why all the fuss? Let the man live his life. He's working on a game for *you* afterall! ;)

xbdestroya said:
I don't think he's actively trying to spread FUD or anything - I mean what, this came from his blog originally? Everyone's allowed the right to an opinion. I don't see this guy travelling the net to impose his beliefs upon others, so I feel sorry for him that suddenly he's become a lightning rod for all this.

Hey, that came fully equipped with a wink, damnit! :oops:

I personally believe that he believes what he is saying and that he is who he claims to be. It is more of a case of 'indirect FUD' because of the plausible deniability aspect "to the best of my knowledge", poor editing in the article, and appeals to authority ('the programmers said so but I have no idea' is not admissible evidence). We already know some of the facts presented are incorrect, and that's a real judgement clouder in this world.

Titanio said:
No, but this has been presented here. Hence people here might now pick up on some things he says, if they disagree?

A most weird thread, by all accounts, I have to say! :D

Sure sure, no disagreement.

Well, for my part I've picked up on SOE vs SCE and some sort of online thrust. Make of it all what you will B3D. :cool:

mckmas8808 said:
This guy is saying the PS3 games are looking like PC games without using blah, blah, blah.

In fairness, he said PS3 launch games.

But depending on whether certain titles hit at launch, that would be incorrect anyway IMO.

As far as he's seen, maybe that's the case, but I'd question how closely he's paid attention if this is so. As far as I've seen, if certain particular titles make it at launch (Lair, Warhawk, Gundam, HS obviously), what he says won't be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back