Jason West and Vince Zampella fired from Infinity Ward/Activision

At this poiont it's worth mentioning I heard it on the rumour mill that the next COD:MW involves Hitler riding a dinosaur across the sun, although it's running behind schedule becomes of the complexities of their raytraced chrome shader.
The only thing that could top this news is if ShootMyMonkey was the lead programmer.

Well, dumbest plot or not - as a huge KillZone fan, I'm a bit ashamed to say that I absolutely love MW2. It's never been about the plot, but some of the missions are simply epic, especially the ones on the oil rig and the sense of atmosphere you get when you're going in with your team into a very hostile environment and all odds are stacked against you.

Despite the morality issue of the airport mission, I have to say it also ranks in as one of the most dramatic missions I've ever played. The adrenalin to play as the bad guys and know that you're about to go head on against multiple squad units of the police force was quite an adrenalin ride. A bit different to when you play "armed force vs armed force".

The grand-scale missions were less to my liking though. I didn't like the, virginia missions (the ones where you follow a tank) or the ones towards the end where the russian invasion takes place.

I never owned MW1, but know the story and played it at my friends place. I now ordered it on Amazon and am really looking forward to having it part of my collection. MW1 also holds the most memorable mission IMO of them all - the sniper mission which is simply epic.

I really do hope Modern Warfare continues in one form or the other. Perhaps under a new name, but I hope the blazing 60fps gameplay finds its way out soon. I'm not sure if I'm interested in the new Tryarch game.

That's the stuff IW did better than just about everyone else. Intense action and set pieces. They've been doing that pretty much since the beginning.

IW provides the summer blockbuster equivalent of a gaming campaign and they're good at it. It's basically a Micheal Bay like production. Lot's of intense, last min moments, some overly dramatic bravado stuff along with explosions. When it works, it works well and clearly sells.

The MW games do seem to get some flack on forums, but I dunno to me they are the best shooters ever made. I absolutely loved MW1 and MW2. It's most apparent when trying other shooters for a while then coming back to MW and seeing just how right it all feels.

As well MW2 really ramped up the settings and scenery to setup the action that was to follow. All the detail they spent in stuff that was basically non-essential to the gameplay but without which the gameplay wouldn't have been as intense.

From the first scene at the base that felt real and put you into the shows of the character. To the first convoy into the city through the crowded streets. Everything from the smoke and partical effects to building details and people wander around, to the sounds used, etc. They just integrated and used everything so well.

The settings were part of what raised the game so far above MW1. The only let down was the short lenght of the campaign. The campaign probably could have been twice the length if they'd spent less time bringing the world alive and put less effort into making your surroundings as realistic as possible.

But in the end I wouldn't trade those realistic settings and the detailed touches that didn't affect gameplay for more gameplay.

It's too bad they didn't have another year to further expand the singleplayer, it might have ended up as possible shooter of the decade then.

Regards,
SB

Time for a slight update from August 13th...

Latest Update from http://www.cynicalsmirk.com/who_remains_at_infinity_ward.html

When Infinity Ward released Modern Warfare 2, there were 105 unique employees I have received word that the writer, Jesse Stern and his assistant Aaron Tracy were not formal employees of Infinity Ward, as well as confirmation that the two ATVI people were not as well. So that would make the actual IW employee count at the end of Modern Warfare 2 to be 101 people.

As of August 13th 2010, 48 have been terminated or resigned and are denoted with a [strike]strike[/strike]. I will note that it appears 2 of these 46 people left before this rift between Activision and Infinity Ward went down.

(8 of 22) 36% of artists/concept artists are gone
(4 of 10) 40% of animators/technical animators/mocap people are gone
(17 of 23) 74% of designers and scripters are gone
(12 of 15) 80% of engineers are gone
(5 of 5) 100% of writers are gone
(13 of 16) 82% of leads/directors from these departments combined are gone

Thanks to a tip letting me know that Mocap Integrator Mario Perez announced via a tweet last month that he has left IW. He is number 48. Thanks, tipster!

Following that up, he also updated his LinkedIn profile to say he is working at Respawn, making him number 38 there.

Also, during a random check of various online sources, engineer Jon Davis updated his LinkedIn profile to indicate he is now at Respawn. He is number 37 to join them.

Recieved a tip that designer Alex Roycewicz updated his LinkedIn profile indicating he is now at Respawn. That makes him number 36 to join. Thanks, tipster!

38 people, but I take it the 38 people comprise of the core vision of what made Modern Warfare 2 great?

There are 48 people who left. Of those, 38 are working at Resapwn, the other 10 people that left are working elsewhere.

If you look at the breakdown all the writers are gone (100% loss), the development leads who do the heavy lifting are nearly all gone (82%) as well as nearly all the other engineers who did the coding (80%) and nearly all the designers and scripters are gone (74%).

So yes, the core that made MW2 great is gone from Infinity Ward and Activision.

Wonder what engine they're going to use in the new company.

I heard a rumour they were going to use Cry Engine 3, any validity in this? Theres probably not enough time for them to make their own and Crytek has a strong EA connection at this point.

Frostbite 1/2 maybe? Then again, perhaps they'll just roll their own. Seems like devs generally don't like 3rd party engines, I guess only pubs do.

Frostbite 1/2 maybe? Then again, perhaps they'll just roll their own. Seems like devs generally don't like 3rd party engines, I guess only pubs do.
Quake engine would be something they wuold be familar with and is dirt cheap. ;)

Gamatura: A lot happened on May 16th here and here, and then settled on the 17th. I guess having your IT department snooping through emails and personal documents looking for cause to fire re-inforced the general impression that this was sleezy top to bottom on Activision-Blizzards behalf.

Giant Bomb

Joystiq

Neoseeker

The Verge

Digital Trends

Sadly, I am sure the lawyers are getting a big chunk of the $42M. Big picture, it sounds like Activision got off the hook. If all this is true it would seem Z&W&Co were not only owed bonuses but damages for lost monies from MW3.

Yeah, there are multiple ongoing suits. Activision and EA have settled, though the terms have not been disclosed. The $42 million check was to a group of 40 odd former employees who were suing over unpaid bonuses, but that hasn't been settled, they are seeking like 3 times that amount. The West and Zampella suit is seeking over a billion at this point because they claim ownership of the Modern Warfare brand and any CoD set after the Cold War, which would include MW3 and Black Ops 2.

Thanks for the updates BanBot! This had dropped off my radar. It's good to see the other suits are going forward. Hopefully things get resolved properly and the evil entities are forced into submission. It's a shame to see business turn so hostile. There's certainly plenty of money to go around so I don't get why the need to be so evil, I mean other than pure and absolute greed.

Back