Jason West and Vince Zampella fired from Infinity Ward/Activision

Looks like Kootick took a big one right in the nutsack as the end result of all this. Activision put out a statement this settlement would not affect expected earnings (much) due to stronger than expected sales, so that means a sizeable payout, and that most, maybe all, of that stronger sales got eaten by this lawsuit.

What goes around comes around eh, Bobby? Karma's a bitch.

If Activision had to pay out loads, then it's a shame this didn't go to court. Companies settling out of court prevents rulings used as references for future cases. Had this gone through and Activision found to be at fault, publically, it'd extend a little extra protection to other workers.

The mou was exceptional (yes Activision WAS that stupid, they did not hand over ownership but handing someone a veto on new games is as good as). This situation is unlikely to ever happen again, even if it does the developers will want a stronger protection against getting fired next time.

It goes both ways.

Developers will want stronger protection.

Publishers are unlikely to ever gives as good a deal to developers.

Regards,
SB

If Activision had to pay out loads, then it's a shame this didn't go to court. Companies settling out of court prevents rulings used as references for future cases. Had this gone through and Activision found to be at fault, publically, it'd extend a little extra protection to other workers.
Usually if there's a settlement, it's because both parties regard it as being in their interests. The IW execs made enough contestable claims that for all we know, they realized they were looking at a long, expensive court battle without nearly as big a guaranteed payoff as they were expecting. Perhaps the EA settlement had something to do with it, too. Or maybe they found out Activision did have some legitimate dirt on them that was going to make their argument a lot more difficult. Because if you've got a slam-dunk case for a billion dollar payout, you go to court. Or maybe someone at Activision made a mistake, thought Vietnam ended in 1967, and decided Z,C,&W did indeed have an incontestable claim for $1b, paid it out, and got on with things. We won't know for a long time.
MfA said:
The mou was exceptional (yes Activision WAS that stupid, they did not hand over ownership but handing someone a veto on new games is as good as).
Executive power is neither exceptional nor equivalent to ownership.

Usually if there's a settlement, it's because both parties regard it as being in their interests. The IW execs made enough contestable claims that for all we know, they realized they were looking at a long, expensive court battle without nearly as big a guaranteed payoff as they were expecting.
Oh, absolutely. What we aren't getting out of this is the truth and a clear understanding and a secure position to work from in future for all people in similar industries. If the case had gone court, we'd have all the facts and an impartial interpretation and a better undertanding of where the law courts place the rights of creative people.

I wish a court would strike down non-compete clauses. I shouldn't be able to sign away my right to work in the future any more than I should be able to sign away my right to register for a political party or subscribe to a news site. It's probably not going to happen, though.

I wish a court would strike down non-compete clauses. I shouldn't be able to sign away my right to work in the future any more than I should be able to sign away my right to register for a political party or subscribe to a news site. It's probably not going to happen, though.

It would be beyond any measure of retardness if your proposition would happen. Are you seriously suggesting that for example a CEO of some publicly traded tech company should be able to just immediately be employed by their number one rival in the market?

Are you for real?

Executive power is neither exceptional nor equivalent to ownership.
From a business point of view there is little distinction between owning a profitable franchise but having an exclusive publishing deal or having absolute control over the development of the franchise while a publisher owns it ... either way the bargaining strength of the two parties stays the same.

Back