Interview with Kojima and Nomura > here

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716039p1.html

Quote:
We've seen the PlayStation 3 likened to a number of things in comparison to its competition, from expensive cars to fancy restaurants or dinners. Speaking to Japan's Ge-Maga, Metal Gear Solid 4 producer/director Hideo Kojima added a new comparison to the mix as he likened the PS3 to the movie theater experience as opposed to the DVD-like experience of the Xbox 360 and the television-like experience of the Wii.

"I had an interview at E3, and I responded like this," said Kojima. "The PS3 is a movie theater. You pay 1,800 yen and view a movie with great sound and a huge image. These aren't movies that are remade directly from television, but video that's been made for the movies, and everyone comes wanting that. Xbox 360 is watching a DVD at home. It's for people who want to watch a movie, but anything is okay. The Wii is a television program. You turn on the television, and you can watch soccer or watch a variety show -- enjoy a program lightly."

Kojima's comments were made as part of a group interview that also featured MGS4 art director Yoji Shinkawa and Square Enix superstar Tetsuya Nomura. The three were asked to share their opinion on the PS3 following E3.

Based on his comments with Ge-Maga, Kojima seems to be highly favorable of Sony's strategy. "If you think about the future of the industry and game creators, I get the feeling that the winner had better be the movie theater -- or, the PS3. No one will say that the price is cheap. However, the PS3 is 'the future.' The Wii is interesting, but in terms of functions, it's a machine with past concepts."

Kojima has also been one of the strongest supporters of the Wii's new control system. In this latest interview, he added, "The best thing would be a PS3 with controls like the Wii."

Kojima expressed some disappointment with the PS3's controller, stating, "It's unfortunate that the controller's rumble functionality has been lost." Responding to this, Nomura suggested that perhaps the rumble will be added in the future, with Kojima suggesting that if the rumble was, as Sony claims, removed due to interference from the built-in motion sensor, it would be best to include a button to switch between rumble and motion sensing.

Nomura had something to say about the PS3's price as well. "Right now, as a game machine, it's too expensive. If the hard disk and Blu-Ray spread, in line with that, the situation for the PS3 will change in 1 to 2 years. At the present, it's definitely too expensive, but I believe that when the games are there, it will change naturally." He also expressed belief that at the time of Final Fantasy's release, the price will be cheaper.

"Thinking two to three years from now, the PS3 will be the most appropriate," said Nomura. "We feel that when the games that we're making are released, the PS3 will be strong in the market."

Kojima seems to feel that the PS3 is needed for the industry to progress. "If the evolutionary roads like the PS3 are closed off, the industry will no longer grow," he said. He used the film Poseidon's Adventure as an example of the film industry's growth from low budget to high budget films. "Making games for the PS3 will of course cost money, but if you put a stop to that, what will happen to the game industry? Is it okay if everyone just makes variety-style games? It will become like television is now. Comedians make an appearance in a quiz-style show -- that's not culture."

The conversation got a bit more light hearted when the subject of ZOE came up. Asked if we'd see a sequel to the anime-themed mech game, Kojima said, "We'd like to make a sequel, but there aren't any people [to make it]. Ah, I've decided now. Nomura will do the characters and Shinkawa will do the mechs."

This lead to talk about collaborations, which of course lead to talk of Solid Snake's appearance in the Wii version of Smash Brothers. "That was very surprising," said Nomura. "Cloud won't make an appearance?" asked Kojima. "We didn't get an offer," responded Nomura with a laugh.

Interesting. So Nomura thinks ps3 is too expensive and it will be a much better value a few years down the road while Kojima believes ps3 will have higher standards for games than 360.

I wonder if Sony is actually selling this concept to developers that want to hear it. In other words, Kojima values production highly. He would like to be associated with a platform that would have a "movie quality" standard and his latest work would be a kin to a blockbuster summer film being released. Sort of stroking his ego a bit. The rediculous part though is you can't hide the licensed 3rd party multiplat garbage forever from this guy.

I wonder how close Nomura(Square) will be watching ps3 sales. With a FF game already released on 360, they have already opened themselves up to pushing this franchise on a new platform and I wouldn't be surprised if they were keeping themselves up to date with 360 development "just in case".:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
TheChefO said:
Interesting. So Nomura thinks ps3 is too expensive and it will be a much better value a few years down the road while Kojima believes ps3 will have higher standards for games than 360.

Where does it say that? I read the whole thing and didn't see one single remark about the 360.

If you would like to see where he does talk about the 360 I can point you to where he says the 360 could do MGS4 every bit as good as the PS3.

I wonder if Sony is actually selling this concept to developers that want to hear it. In other words, Kojima values production highly. He would like to be associated with a platform that would have a "movie quality" standard and his latest work would be a kin to a blockbuster summer film being released. Sort of stroking his ego a bit. The rediculous part though is you cant hide the licensed 3rd party multiplat garbage forever from this guy.

I don't know how much Sony is pushing it, but it's pretty clear that Kojima's comments are very biased towards his own specific games and not applicable to the rest of the industry.

I wonder how close Nomura(Square) will be watching ps3 sales. With a FF game already released on 360, they have already opened themselves up to pushing this franchise on a new platform and I wouldn't be surprised if they were keeping themselves up to date with 360 development "just in case".:cool:

I think almost every developer will be watching system sales very closely this gen. Obviously the 360 isn't going to be much of a factor in Japan, but if the developer is marketing their game outside of Japan then they have to take the 360's userbase into consideration, and the possibility certainly exists that the 360 could be the #1 system outside of Japan this gen.

Powderkeg -
The PS3 is a movie theater. You pay 1,800 yen and view a movie with great sound and a huge image. These aren't movies that are remade directly from television, but video that's been made for the movies, and everyone comes wanting that.

Contrasted with:

Xbox 360 is watching a DVD at home. It's for people who want to watch a movie, but anything is okay.

Perhaps this is MS's desire to have ANY Japanese developer support for 360 so they might be more open to games that traditionally were not acceptable by Nintendo/Sony in Japan.

or

Perhaps Sony is selling a higher standard to developers that want to hear it. (like Kojima)

Well instead of paying [true]attention to what is written some of you miss the point once again. Oh well the future will reveal all.

Powderkeg said:
Where does it say that? I read the whole thing and didn't see one single remark about the 360.

If you would like to see where he does talk about the 360 I can point you to where he says the 360 could do MGS4 every bit as good as the PS3.

That's wasn't exactly what he said and he was talking about the real time demo shown during tgs and not the final product

Robert.L said:
That's wasn't exactly what he said and he was talking about the real time demo shown during tgs and not the final product

Regardless I think most would agree there isn't a technical hurdle that would prevent a suitable port of mgs4 to 360. Only monitary/politcal hurdles. :)

Kojima said:
Kojima seems to be highly favorable of Sony's strategy

This coming generation, I appreciate Sony's contribution most. It's extremely rare that a market leader would give up its comfortable position to push the envelope harder than anyone else in the industry. I wish the guys all the best.

TheChefO said:
Regardless I think most would agree there isn't a technical hurdle that would prevent a suitable port of mgs4 to 360. Only monitary/politcal hurdles. :)

yes i agree the tgs demo could have been done on 360 with maybe slight differences here and there like he said.

and I’m sure the new demo is also something that 360 is capable off with maybe slight differences

TheChefO said:
Powderkeg -

OK, I admit to missing that.

Contrasted with:

Perhaps this is MS's desire to have ANY Japanese developer support for 360 so they might be more open to games that traditionally were not acceptable by Nintendo/Sony in Japan.

or

Perhaps Sony is selling a higher standard to developers that want to hear it. (like Kojima)

Or perhaps he means that the 360 will be widely adopted by the mainstream and the PS3 will be a declining market, just like DVD vs. Box Office ticket sales. After all, the whole reason the "Home Theater" market has taken off so well is people generally prefer to watch their movies in the privacy of their own home, rather than pay the inflated prices to see the same movie in a theater.

;)

Robert.L said:

No, it wasn't exactly, but it's close enough. And are you suggesting the game will be doing something so amazing that it can't be done on the 360, but they didn't bother to show that off in their trailer?

Robert.L said:
yes i agree the tgs demo could have been done on 360 with maybe slight differences here and there like he said.

and I’m sure the new demo is also something that 360 is capable off with maybe slight differences

Agreed - Not only the Demo but the full fledged game as well. Or are you saying 360 would not be capable? If so, how?

Powderkeg said:
And are you suggesting the game will be doing something so amazing that it can't be done on the 360, but they didn't bother to show that off in their trailer?

TheChefO said:
Agreed - Not only the Demo but the full fledged game as well. Or are you saying 360 would not be capable? If so, how?

The game is far from completion, I don't think anyone can answer either of your questions, obviously. Not even Kojima. Even when it is finished, I don't think such questions could ever be definitely answered unless a port was actually attempted (or another game existed that was very obviously technically more complex on 360, or more precisely, was technically doing all the same things). Of course, that won't stop people speculating.

TheChefO said:

I don't know about that from the stuff that kojima has been saying in implementing into mgs4 it looks like his dev will need all the processing power they can get .

Titanio said:
The game is far from completion, I don't think anyone can answer either of your questions, obviously. Not even Kojima. Even when it is finished, I don't think such questions could ever be definitely answered unless a port was actually attempted (or another game existed that was very obviously technically more complex on 360, or more precisely, was technically doing all the same things).

Agreed, although that does open up another question. What technical things are MGS4 doing in game that are really that complex?

Powderkeg said:
Agreed, although that does open up another question. What technical things are MGS4 doing in game that are really that complex?

Well I didn't make any specific claim about the level of complexity. But since you'd ask, I'd take a wager on the destruction as the most technically intensive aspect shown sofar, if it's wholly dynamic (and I think someone from Kojima Productions confirmed it was). That'd be probably top of the list anyway.

:LOL: You guys are too much! With all of the ports that have gone from this system to that system in past generations you honestly believe there are technical hurdles for porting this game to 360? Give me a break!

I'm not saying the game will be identical. I'm not saying people won't be "akkk where's the AF on the 360!" or "ps3 is the r0x0rs for phYsX!!" I'm saying to most people playing the game (mgs4) on ps3 and 360 no matter what they put into the game, it will be largely the same exact game and experience. Regardless of whatever trickery went on behind the scenes to get to that point.

Re4 was slightly modified from GC to ps2 but you don't hear everyone complaining on that one. I would expect a much closer rendition than this title but a port of similar accuracy would not disappoint me. If they did not utilize the power of either machine for a title this deserving that would disappoint me.

TheChefO said:

or

I like how you've read Kojima's comments as either "well done MS for being more diverse", or "Kojima's letting his ego get the best of him" ;). Why didn't you just leave it at "Sony are selling a higher standard to developers", and leave any comments of whether or not they're overselling for others to determine? You could almost argue that your interpretation is accurate "to those that want to hear it".

It's slightly ironic that Hideo chose this analogy though, since the PS3 is actually looking to capitalise on the emergence of HTPC's as something more desirable than going to the movies. Anyhow, I think we all know the analogy doesn't stand up massively well to analysis. That's the oldest part of the article, and there's plenty of other stuff to discuss, such as Nomura's thoughts on pricing, or Kojima's opinions about the need for high budget games as well as low budget ones.

Naboomagnoli said:
I like how you've read Kojima's comments as either "well done MS for being more diverse", or "Kojima's letting his ego get the best of him" ;). Why didn't you just leave it at "Sony are selling a higher standard to developers", and leave any comments of whether or not they're overselling for others to determine? You could almost argue that your interpretation is accurate "to those that want to hear it".

It's slightly ironic that Hideo chose this analogy though, since the PS3 is actually looking to capitalise on the emergence of HTPC's as something more desirable than going to the movies. Anyhow, I think we all know the analogy doesn't stand up massively well to analysis. That's the oldest part of the article, and there's plenty of other stuff to discuss, such as Nomura's thoughts on pricing, or Kojima's opinions about the need for high budget games as well as low budget ones.

The reason I questioned Kojimas statement (even though it is old) is this info that it was actually a three party interview is new to me. This enables one to contrast his statements and viewpoints to others in the interview. Their comments do not fall in line with one another though. This lead me to consider the possibility Sony may be telling their developers specifically what they want to hear. Hence my illustration for what Kojima may want to hear.

Agreed though - there is much more to discuss like Nomura's thoughts on ps3 being quite expensive and how he feels in a few years when he plans to release the next FF it should be much more acceptable.

Back