IMG confirm that Intel is using SGX

Ok. I don't get why the GMA500 drivers by Intel are so crappy, performance wise... Can't they use the Power VR/IMG drivers or something ?

While the IEGD10 drivers are a big improvement, the Villagemark and Fortune scores make me suspect more room for notable improvement is there.

Yes, I am on XP. IEGD does not support WDDM. I have the strong feeling that the 1005 driver is quite similar to the 1009 XP (e.g. there is no OpenGL, Shader Model 3.0 is supported).

Hi There,

Interested to here about improved performance with the IEGD drivers. I'm registered and downloaded the drivers from Intel. From the docs it seems to refer to having to build a Video biso to use with these drivers. Is this true ?, or do you just install them as a normal driver installation. I have a Dell mini 12" with Intel Z atom, so I'm looking to improve the graphics and video performance.

One more interesting result using Humus's GL_EXT_Reme OpenGL benchmark. For IEGD10 the included OpenGL driver was used (written by Tungsten), for the official Intel driver Scitech's OpenGL->D3D wrapper was used. Results (IEGD --- Scitech):
Overdraw/HSR:
-------------
Overdraw factor 3, back to front: 62.18 fps --- 110.60 fps
Overdraw factor 3, front to back: 62.51 fps --- 110.55 fps
Overdraw factor 3, random order: 62.55 fps --- 110.58 fps

Overdraw factor 8, back to front: 58.53 fps --- 97.39 fps
Overdraw factor 8, front to back: 58.83 fps --- 97.51 fps
Overdraw factor 8, random order: 58.67 fps --- 97.28 fps

Fillrate:
---------
Pixel fillrate: 54.97 MegaPixels / s --- 88.21 MegaPixels / s
Texel fillrate: 232.72 MegaTexels / s --- 131.83 MegaTexels / s

T&L/High polygon count static display list:
-------------------------------------------
Pure transform: 2195968 vertices / s --- 1621888 vertices / s
2 point lights: 690836 vertices / s --- 682604 vertices / s
8 point lights: 225655 vertices / s --- 263798 vertices / s
2 directional lights: 2172489 vertices / s --- 1415564 vertices / s
8 directional lights: 1560491 vertices / s --- 1064740 vertices / s

High memory bandwidth load/texture cache efficiency:
----------------------------------------------------
One 1024x1024x32 texture: 62.05 fps --- 94.30 fps
Four 1024x1024x32 textures: 61.85 fps --- 94.18 fps

So it seems that a wrapper over the not too mature D3D driver provides better results than the "real" OpenGL driver.... (Texel fillrate is lower probably because Scitech only supports 2 textures). The HSR numbers are also interesting, because they look like a TBDR result - what is in contrast with the PowerVR Fortune results posted earlier. I wouldn't say I really understand the reasons...

thanks for the bechmarking, Tessier.

The HSR numbers are also interesting, because they look like a TBDR result - what is in contrast with the PowerVR Fortune results posted earlier. I wouldn't say I really understand the reasons...
are we sure the fortune test does not alpha-blend?

edit:

tests figures really make little sense. from what i recall, poulsbo's GMA is clocked at at least 100MHz, at 2 pixels/clock top fillrate (SGX535), the quoted 55-88MPix/s seem way too low (no effective HSR assumed). also, intel themselves quote the vertex pipeline as capable of doing a vertex/15 clocks. if we asume that as a maximal rate (ie. no pipelininig, etc), those 2.2MV/s of pure transform would translate to 33MHz shader engine clock - no way in hell that'd be the GMA's clock. smells like SW T&L to me. either that or a broken/inefficient VBO mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
tests figures really make little sense. from what i recall, poulsbo's GMA is clocked at at least 100MHz......

Only the smallest mid format devices use the 100Mhz variant of Poulsbo, the mainstream Poulsbo chipset clocks SGX at 200MHz

Only the smallest mid format devices use the 100Mhz variant of Poulsbo, the mainstream Poulsbo chipset clocks SGX at 200MHz
well, i went for the worst case scenario. otherwise i seem to remember working on a crown beach board clocked at 200MHz.

from the same article:

imaginationimage2-big.jpg

you'd think the article would go with piece of hw that was intel-based, no?

i mean, 'intel have been doing a great job with the miniaturisation of their tech. here's this TI board running our design' does not exactly drive a point home : )

Sony most likely wouldn't, yet imagining the 400 MHz as a clock speed for a four-core SGX543 PSP2 GPU is exciting. The stencil rate would be monumental!

Sony might as well fold PlayStation4 into PSP2 as a single platform at that point.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Pine-Trail-scheduled-for-fourth-quarter/?kc=rss

According to the link above we may well see both
Moorestown and Pinetrail join intel's CE4100 with a PowerVR SGX535 embedded as part of the SOC. Whilst plausible I am rather suprised given the availability of SGX540 which would have been my choice for Moorestown. Meanwhile there's alot of conjecture over the Pineview soc and whether it will be a shrunck 945GSE or a GMA500.

Back in post #56 of this thread, I conjectured that IMG tec might appear in either pineview or in the on-graphics versions of clarkdale/arrandale, given that IMG had stated that they saw their technology appear in the desktop space.

Well it is now apparent that IMG does not feature either in Pineview, nor in Clarksdale/Arrandale :(

Intel says it will out-perform all ARM chips

Pankaj Kedia on Moorestown:

"We will surprise everyone," he said. "We will out-perform ARM chips hands-down, and we will have better graphics on Moorestown than anything else."

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=22489

Looks like SGX in moorestown might be running faster than the 200Mhz in Poulsbo, (but probably not at the 400MHz as implemented in the CE4100 chip).

In which case given that it launches in Q2, with likely end product likely by end of year, his assesment of it having the best graphics might be on the money. I assume it also has IMG video encode and decode (VXD and VXE)

Intel says it will out-perform all ARM chips

Pankaj Kedia on Moorestown:

"We will surprise everyone," he said. "We will out-perform ARM chips hands-down, and we will have better graphics on Moorestown than anything else."

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=22489

Looks like SGX in moorestown might be running faster than the 200Mhz in Poulsbo, (but probably not at the 400MHz as implemented in the CE4100 chip).

In which case given that it launches in Q2, with likely end product likely by end of year, his assesment of it having the best graphics might be on the money. I assume it also has IMG video encode and decode (VXD and VXE)

Vendor side PR. doesn't count for anything.

tangey,

Do we know what version of VXD Moorestown will have integrated? Download the newest whitepaper and you'll know why I'm asking.

Vendor side PR. doesn't count for anything.

Always worth considering, but given that they currently *do* have the fastest SOC graphics in production with the 400Mhz implementation of SGX535 in the 45nm CE4150, its not just PR speak.

Back