Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

I had a chance to see Metro 2033 running on Xbox360 today & compare it to what I saw on my PC, the obvious low detailing aside I noticed an awful lot of blur in the game, as if its a Sub HD game. I am pretty sure that the amount of blur incurred was more than what I would get if I run Metro 2033 [PC] on 720p with the blurry MSAA. What's causing this ?

The analytical AA I'm assuming.

I had a chance to see Metro 2033 running on Xbox360 today & compare it to what I saw on my PC, the obvious low detailing aside I noticed an awful lot of blur in the game, as if its a Sub HD game. I am pretty sure that the amount of blur incurred was more than what I would get if I run Metro 2033 [PC] on 720p with the blurry MSAA. What's causing this ?

I would guess low/very-low resolution fullscreen post-processing is the culprit.

I tried out the 1080p mode in GOWIII, and it just truck me as odd that the overall image quality took a bit of a hit compared. The text in particular looks a tad rough. Any difference in resolution or is it a bug?

I tried out the 1080p mode in GOWIII, and it just truck me as odd that the overall image quality took a bit of a hit compared. The text in particular looks a tad rough. Any difference in resolution or is it a bug?

it may be toned down so the framerate wont take a hit.

What I would like to know, is Uncharted 2 using any sort of Anti Aliasing??? The 3d beyond resolution list sys yes, but my eyes still see many jaggies, more then in U1!

I recall reading on this board that it's using 2xMSAA, but the resolve is kind of messed up because of the HDR.

What I would like to know, is Uncharted 2 using any sort of Anti Aliasing??? The 3d beyond resolution list sys yes, but my eyes still see many jaggies, more then in U1!

What TV are you using?

My old SDTV shows tons of jaggies, and I have noticed many Sony Bravia models as well (I dont know if its the TV settings to blame). The 32" Bravias I have seen at stores with PS3's hooked on them for show were horrendous for some reason. There was lots of flickering, jaggies and sometimes some kind of artifacts similar to those we see in non-HD videos. The result was the same whether they had GT5P, GoW3, Tekken6 or Uncharted 2

My HDTV though shows a very clean image. Beautiful

+1. I thought the game looked fairly clean. Maybe some levels appeared to have more aliasing because the level design is much different than it was in UC1. Instead of levels mainly consisting of jungles with lots of trees and foliage , UC2 has many levels with buildings and what not.

Yup, that's right. tons of effects. Makes sense. I'm using a Full HD Philips LCD 42'100hz enabled, running the game at 720p. No extra ps3 or tv settings except 100hz. I'm siitting more then 2,5m away from the set.
GoW3 has no obvious jaggies, for my eyes, it is anti aliased.
Even Killzone2 and Heavy Rain appear cleaner.
The size, ammount and overall appearence of jaggies is, in my personal opinion, close to UT3.

your TVs have overscan problem? I find tv that have overscan problems tents to show more jaggies, and also some tv has those horrible image enhancer or graphic enhancer on by default, like the samsung DNIe thing which does nothing but ruining the image quality. Try setting the TV to movie mode, or film mode if you can turn off those graphic enhancer.

The one area where Drake gets off the falling wagon to reach the mountain top....that place looked so good & clean eventhough the camera panned far away from Drake, that I was almost convinced its CG like quality.

Question related to the graphics engine of U2:
Is this game using any sort of anti aliasing?
For example 2xmsaa?
I see a lot of jaggies, more then in U1 and the same amount as in games without AA and running at 720p, like UT3.
Especially horizontal lines have big jaggies.

Ok, the 3dbeyond resolution list says, that this game has 2xAA but difficult to believe this when comparing this game to others.

Have you maybe set the PS3 to output only 1080p? I think the general advice is to have checkbox ticked at 720p regardless if your tv supports more...

Have you maybe set the PS3 to output only 1080p? I think the general advice is to have checkbox ticked at 720p regardless if your tv supports more...

Nope, as mentioned before everything set as it supposed to be, all resolutions enabled and the TV can perform all resolutions as well. Also disabling/enabling 100hz doesn't change or affect the image quality except when moving. Games like K2, HR or GoWIII and especially FFXIII look the way they should, because AA is applied. Even Motorstorm.
So, is it official that it's using MSAA or any AA? Maybe rather temporal AA.
Yes, indeed the first (rather dark and low brightness) chapter is really super clean and I would never come up with such an idea, but the town levels are really screwed up. Especially fence, windows, thin metal pipes, everything horizontal, all jagged.
And if there is AA, it seems that some post processing effects disable it's effectivness when watching far in front, especially in that 'ice palace puzzle-jump-level'.

How can I recognize myself if it's AA or not?

Nope, as mentioned before everything set as it supposed to be, all resolutions enabled and the TV can perform all resolutions as well. Also disabling/enabling 100hz doesn't change or affect the image quality except when moving. Games like K2, HR or GoWIII and especially FFXIII look the way they should, because AA is applied. Even Motorstorm.
So, is it official that it's using MSAA or any AA? Maybe rather temporal AA.
Yes, indeed the first (rather dark and low brightness) chapter is really super clean and I would never come up with such an idea, but the town levels are really screwed up. Especially fence, windows, thin metal pipes, everything horizontal, all jagged.
And if there is AA, it seems that some post processing effects disable it's effectivness when watching far in front, especially in that 'ice palace puzzle-jump-level'.

How can I recognize myself if it's AA or not?

It is official, it does not look as bad as you are saying, there are times when it is not as effective. There is a whole section in the sticky about AA.

Back