I'm going to exercise on the Bowflex!

Nah, mainly just rock-n-roll. Very upbeat, very vibrant and active....keeps me bouncing and gets me sweaty.

Today I moved half a pallet of edging stones from the front yard to the back and washed my wife's Z, not a work-out persay but I sure as hell worked up a great sweat! :D

DW,

I am going to have to bust your balls here. I will assume that the reason you started this thread was to provide for some sort of encouragement. Since dusting off your bowflex how many times have you used it? I hope at least 4 times. One thing I like about the bowflex is that you can really get a decent workout in a short period of time. So if you have been slacking, get back to it.

Sorry Nelg, bowflexing turned out to be not an option for the rest of the day for me yesterday. My wife is sick and her head is all full of phlegm so she is sleeping in the big comfy chair in the living room with the ottoman right next to the bowflex so I couldn't disturb her.

I ended up doing push-ups, sit-ups, and some cardio in my computer room with a lot of "fun" help from the puppies. :oops:

Hopefully I'll get a chance to flex today, if she's feeling better and doesn't mind...but I'm overprotective/conscientious of my wife and when she's sick I won't do anything that would disturb her. :(

If not, more sit-ups & push-ups with lots of puppy kissess.... :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer said:
If not, more sit-ups & push-ups with lots of puppy kissess.... :rolleyes:

Oli the dragon cat has appointed himself "gargoyle of the stairs" to my office in the lower level. It's a short, not particularly wide stairway, just seven steps, with one side solid wall as you go down, and the other open about 1/2 way up, with a wooden railing separating the stairs from the dining room.

No one may go down or up those stairs without the gargoyle attacking from between the wooden railing.

My wife squeaks fetchingly when it happens. :LOL:

Basic said:
Btw, what does non-Swedes think of when someone says they're doing Aerobics?
Is it a generic word for stuff that makes your pulse go up, or is it something specific.
(In Swedish it's a special kind of exercise.)
In the US, When somebody says "aerobics", they mean a class of group exercises:
step%20aerobics.jpg

It comes in a bazillion flavors like jazzercise(dance related); step (featured in the above picture). There's also new flavors recently like body combat (kick boxing-ish).

Usually, when we refer to generic exercise to make your pulse go up, its called 'cardio'.

RussSchultz said:
In the US, When somebody says "aerobics", they mean a class of group exercises:
step%20aerobics.jpg

It comes in a bazillion flavors like jazzercise(dance related); step (featured in the above picture). There's also new flavors recently like body combat (kick boxing-ish).

Usually, when we refer to generic exercise to make your pulse go up, its called 'cardio'.
Yeah, pretty much. I think of it as "aerobics" is something that people put on their designer gymwear and go down to the trendy healthclub to do, "cardio" is when you get yourself good and sweaty around your house doing housework dancing with your mp3 player in your SpongeBob jammies. ;)

rashly said:
I tore my shoulder (rotator cuff) while snowboarding in January (I hurt it again at the gym in June doing inclined bench and flies) and I'm still trying to strengthen it up. You should take a couple of weeks off from all activities before you do anything. After that, be sure to stretch it a few times every day. Spend at least 15 minutes stretching each time. Eventually you'll be confident enough to start lifting a little. Start out with really light weights. 5-10lbs. It should hurt a little bit when working them, but not too much. Don't over do it and go really slow. I've been doing this for the last 9 months and I'm still only doing 10lbs dumbell lat raises on shoulder days.

Benching works out the rear delts, so be careful not to over do the benching. Incline bench is even harder on your delts than flat. I completely took inclined bench out of my workout until I make much more progress on my shoulders.
Thanks for the advice, but I think you misread my symptoms.

My shoulder joint seems to be fine. I can do shoulder press, lateral raises, chinups, even handstand pushups, and none of these aggravate my injury one iota. Working out my rear delts is also fine. It's only when I do something with my chest, particularly with my upper arm perpendicular to my body (like in bench press or flyes). That's why I think it's the tendon, and it looks like a much different injury than yours.

Still, it may well be that your remedy is just what I need. I want to try and get some professional advice, though. I think if I injure it again (it's already happened twice since the injury) then it could become almost permanent.

sytaylor said:
Also found that using the machine to pushdown, rather than doing bog standard dips seems to work for me. A bit like the difference between a lat pulldown and a chip-up. Once compliments the other, but people usually have a preference.
I don't think I've ever seen that machine. Is there some sort of harness over your shoulders to hold you down?

Anyway, I don't think there's any feeling like conquering your body's gravity with your arms. Even when it's a free weight instead of your body, doing your weight has a great feeling.

digitalwanderer said:
Nah, mainly just rock-n-roll. Very upbeat, very vibrant and active....keeps me bouncing and gets me sweaty.
I guess that kind is better if you're doing it by yourself. :)

Today I moved half a pallet of edging stones from the front yard to the back and washed my wife's Z, not a work-out persay but I sure as hell worked up a great sweat! :D
Hard body work should not be underestimated as workout. It does have the advantage that it builds the muscles that you need for ... hard body work (Ie: real life).

Basic said:
Hard body work should not be underestimated as workout. It does have the advantage that it builds the muscles that you need for ... hard body work (Ie: real life).
Yeah, long ago back when I worked construction I noticed that. I didn't need to exercise back then, I got paid to exercise was how I looked at it. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, long ago back when I worked construction I noticed that. I didn't need to exercise back then, I got paid to exercise was how I looked at it. :)

I hear ya. In my early 20s I lost 50lbs with that kind of job, throwing around 100lb bags of concrete, 75lb bags of sand, etc. Was hard as a rock too. Used to pick up four 50lb bags of water softener salt at once to put them in someones trunk on sale days (for whatever reason, water softener salt sales caused all day swarms of folks buying in large quantities).

Of course the pay was sh*t. :LOL:

I've done the labourer thing before like that and at $10/hr it just blows, but at $18/hr I can do it for 12 hours a day with a smile on. ;)

When I worked I generally worked as either an electricians helper at $15/hr all legal and in accordance with union rules or as a scab electrician for $20/hr....cash under the table.

I loved working as a scab electrician, great pay and fun rewarding work to me. I'm actually looking into going back into it next year when my daughter goes to school full-time, it's the easiest/fastest/bestest way for me to make quick cash and have flexible hours and it's gotten a whole f-load less union around here so that being a scab ain't really no big thing anymore unless I work the big projects. (Which I'd rather avoid, those just are never as fun as a 2-3 man job like some school life/safety work...my personal fave and there is always a need for it.)

Either that or fixing bum computers or being a secretary again, but I figure I'll be able to find something and I really feel the need to be generating some independant revenue. :???:

John Reynolds said:
I had a summer job back in '87 delivering bags of ice to local gas and grocery stores. They were heavy, 8 lbs each. :p
The paving stones I moved from my frontyard to my backyard were around 20 lbs each and I was carrying 'em 3 at at time and it sucked, I am a bit older. (Although it didn't start sucking 'til the 20th or 30th trip, I'll give myself that.)

Mintmaster said:
I don't think I've ever seen that machine. Is there some sort of harness over your shoulders to hold you down?

Anyway, I don't think there's any feeling like conquering your body's gravity with your arms. Even when it's a free weight instead of your body, doing your weight has a great feeling.

You're not pushing your shoulders upwards, you're using your arms (triceps) to lower moveable handles downwards against resistance.

Well I did a 435 leg press again, but now it doesnt nearly kill me to do so:)
Surprising given I have been sick:)

Back