What are the best games you've played on PC from all time?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by digitalwanderer, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

This is tricky for me because I played so many different platforms, but one of the first games that kept me up all night was Civilisation. That game was addictive. Super Tetris and Classic Tetris (like, 30+ years old) also were also better than any Tetris after except maybe Tricky Towers.

Test Drive 1+2, Need for Speed 3+4, Geoff Crammond’s F1 GP 2 (played the first on Atari ST), also had me spend quite some time on PC, and Wolfenstein and Doom, Warcraft 1+2, and C&C also took a lot of my time.

And of course a whole bunch of Sierra Adventures. Which I liked better than the Lucasarts ones, probably partly because of the freedom of typing text and how much fun that could be.

Lightman likes this.
  2. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

Lightman likes this.
  3. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Command & conquer generals/zero hour, not mentioned often but a nice RTS for the time.

pjbliverpool likes this.
  4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yeah thats one of my all time RTSs

PSman1700 likes this.
  5. manux

Veteran Regular

I guess I'm weird. I never liked command and conquer that much. I have super fond feelings of dune2 though

6. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

I thought it was just me!

Lightman, manux and Rodéric like this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Half-Life was the game that got me to buy a PC. Of all the games I have played, including the ludicrous thousands of hours I spent with Elite (C64) and Roller Coaster-Tycoon, Half-Life and the original Far Cry really stood out as games something both new, different and impactful.

If you are old enough, can can still feel the influence fo both Half-Life introducing genuinely story-driven narratives to first-person games and Far Cry brought physics and exploiting the environment tactically in an open world.

Lightman and pjbliverpool like this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Just to put some emphasis on that. HL basically created non-interruptive story-driven narrative in not just FPS games, but pretty much all electronic gaming. At no point was the player control taken away in order to present the story. Even in arcade games, you would lose control whenever the game designers wanted to do any sort of story exposition.

Half-Life was revolutionary in that the player remained in control at all times. Of course, this meant that the player could also skip or completely miss story elements, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Prior to that, the only time a game never removed control from the player was either if the story has virtually no story narrative or was a genre that naturally featured interruptive gameplay (like turn based RPGs, for example) that constantly interrupted player control whether story narrative was happening or not.

Regards,
    SB

Lightman, PSman1700 and DSoup like this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

My Most Notable titles that I have the fondest memories of:

Mechwarrior 2 / Mercenaries
    Battletech Crescent Hawks Inception/ modern one is pretty good too
    Starcraft / Warcraft 3
    Diablo 1 - 3
    Dune 2, C&C, C&C Red Alert
    Star Control 2
    Descent Freespace / 2
    Tie Fighter
    Baldur's Gate 2
    System Shock 2
    Mass Effect *
    Quake 3
    Dark Reign
    Quest for Glory
    Space Quest 1-3
    Police Quest 2
    Monkey Island
    Counter Strike
    Doom
    Half Life
    Syndicate
    Battlezone (Activision)

#69 iroboto, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. manux

Veteran Regular

Battletech on amiga500 was absolute classic. I completely forgot about this game. I'm now tempted to play it again and see if it holds up or not

11. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Ha snap (again!) Absolutely loved that game. Spent so much time on it (on PC in my case).

PSman1700, manux and iroboto like this.
  12. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Here you go.

The go to power move when the Kurita arrive. Run back to the training grounds and steal that Chameleon and run like hell! Or something like that... I don't recall quite honestly. Just don't be in a commando lol

PSman1700, pjbliverpool and manux like this.
  13. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

It's so hard to make a best ever list when the library is so deep, but I think the PC games I've put the most time into have to be Starsiege Tribes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., NOLF, and Left 4 Dead 2. Oh, and Defense Grid. And Diablo 2. And Titan Quest. And Warcraft 3.

See, told you it was hard.

If we are going by the "You can only have one game from now until forever" standard it has to be Doom. Modern source ports and wads/pk3s give you a completely customized experience from graphics to gameplay, and it's sometimes fun to just blow stuff up in a pure power fantasy and other times load up Brutal Doom, put it on black metal and try to beat as many levels of Sigil that you can without dying. It's 3 by the way. Can't make it past the 3rd level, and that's assuming I make it past the first room of the first level.

Florin likes this.
  14. dskneo

Regular

I'm not gonna post my life history. If only a few had to make the list:

UT99, COD1 & 4
    Live for Speed & Assetto

Story wise, Titanfall2 and Cyberpunk2077

Lightman likes this.
  15. hoom

Veteran

I'm still awed at the game design where you play Harkonnen & get used to use of raw power: big tanks & nukes.
    When you start playing Atreidies they feel so weak with limited armor & your Palace unit the Fremen just get killed by the first tank they find.
    But then you get critical mass of sonic tanks and they dominate wherever you put them, meanwhile you have 3 Palaces pumping out Fremen and you realise the strength of Desert Power: they swarm the map wiping out the enemies' entire mobile force letting your sonic tanks just walk in & win at leisure.

cheapchips and manux like this.
  16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ouch that's rough. If we were allowed to have internet, then it'd be tempting to pick Unreal Tournament or FFXIV.

But if internet was an unknown variable, then there is only one game I can think of. The original Deus Ex hands down. A distant second would be System Shock 2 followed closely by Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Fallout 1 & 2, and the original X-Com 1 & 2.

All those games have quite a bit of replayability although it might get old after the 100th or 1000th play through...maybe. :)

Regards,
    SB

17. manux

Veteran Regular

I would pick metal gear solid 3. Play it once a year and otherwise forget about gaming. But that's a console game. For pc I would probably pick vampire masquerade bloodlines and play it every few years.

#77 manux, Feb 27, 2021 at 12:31 AM
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    Florin likes this.
  18. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

One game for me would be Nexus -The Jupiter incident.
    Just got it again...this one could seriously need a sequel.

But I fear people are far to whiney today...because the gameplay is HARD.

manux, Lightman and hoom like this.
  19. hoom

Veteran

I think I own Nexus on 3 different platforms now.
    Still only once managed to get up to the wormhole, for some reason I can't manage to get going on it :-(
    I do still fire up the old IGIII demo every now and then to gawk at the still very pretty space battle.

Edit: I made a video

#79 hoom, Feb 27, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    Silent_Buddha and Lightman like this.
  20. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

The game really kicks off after you go through the wormhole...

This might help you:
    https://www.ign.com/faqs/2005/nexus-the-jupiter-incident-walkthrough-587655

Lightman and hoom like this.