IGN makes predictions on consoles for 2007*

# ps3 devs > # xb360 devs

# Sony FB > # MS FB

:yep2:

Or
While PlayStation 3 surpasses both Wii and Xbox 360 in performance and graphics, the critics say it suffers from the same problem as many other Sony products: it is overengineered, scaring away average shoppers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/31/technology/31sony.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Maybe the truth lies somewhere inbetween. ;)

I think quite a few of the regulars at this forum find an overengineered console rather appealing.

BTW, great info here!

However, if we accept the ‘factâ€￾ that the PS3 (or Sony’s gaming division) was sacrificed so that blu-ray can be pushed out, why can’t Sony drop PS3 price anytime soon? Even taking the same loss or losing even more money.

It's all about royalties... not games.

"You do not see a connection?"

No I don't, the PS3 has not been shown to actually be a superior piece of hardware. It's like a Frankenstein console that has yet to show it can actually do anything better than the year old 360.

Everything we've seen so far shows that MULTI-PLAT titles look and run better on the 360 and the PS3 does not have anything that looks as good as 360 exclusives like GEARS of WAR. Even a launch title for the 360 like Kameo has not been surpassed by the PS3, the textures in that game still blow away what's on the PS3.

"You do not see a connection?"

No I don't, the PS3 has not been shown to actually be a superior piece of hardware. It's like a Frankenstein console that has yet to show it can actually do anything better than the year old 360.

Everything we've seen so far shows that MULTI-PLAT titles look and run better on the 360 and the PS3 does not have anything that looks as good as 360 exclusives like GEARS of WAR. Even a launch title for the 360 like Kameo has not been surpassed by the PS3, the textures in that game still blow away what's on the PS3.

Maybe a few people pay more attention to the "over-engineered" piece of hardware than the current set of available games.

Maybe the over-engineered hardware will pay off later, maybe it won´t.

my personal prediction is that more games will become multiplatform (either big franchise or not)... anyone agree??? 2006 alone had about 5 multiplatform announcements despite being in such early stage of console wars

- GTA IV (no more period exclusives but new exclusives for XB360)
- Virtua Fighter 5
- Koei Games (x 2)
- Assassin's Creed

oh yeah, Unreal Tournament 3 expanded platforms didn't it :LOL:

my personal prediction is that more games will become multiplatform (either big franchise or not)... anyone agree??? 2006 alone had about 5 multiplatform announcements despite being in such early stage of console wars

- GTA IV (no more period exclusives but new exclusives for XB360)
- Virtua Fighter 5
- Koei Games (x 2)
- Assassin's Creed

oh yeah, Unreal Tournament 3 expanded platforms didn't it :LOL:

yes:cool:

Exclusives will be few and far between this gen aside from localized content which would likely go to the dominant console of the region. I see Wii being this console for Japan this gen, 360 for US and possibly ps3 for EU.

yes:cool:

Exclusives will be few and far between this gen aside from localized content which would likely go to the dominant console of the region. I see Wii being this console for Japan this gen, 360 for US and possibly ps3 for EU.

I don't see why EU would be any more receptive to PS3 than US. I expect that the PS3 will do equally well in both regions. I expect that x360 will outsell the PS3 1.5:1 in EU+US by 2010. Japan will go to PS3, but not by nearly the same margin it did in PS2 vs X360. I'm guessing PS3 outsells x360 by 1.7:1 there. Hey if the analysts can pull numbers out of their ass, so can I :D Let's see whose right.

I don't see why EU would be any more receptive to PS3 than US. I expect that the PS3 will do equally well in both regions. I expect that x360 will outsell the PS3 1.5:1 in EU+US by 2010. Japan will go to PS3, but not by nearly the same margin it did in PS2 vs X360. I'm guessing PS3 outsells x360 by 1.7:1 there. Hey if the analysts can pull numbers out of their ass, so can I :D Let's see whose right.

In the EU my impression was that 360 was not selling very well as EU gamers are more inclined to Sony platforms, similar to but not to the same extent as Japan. :???:

(would require the nunchuk to have its own bluetooth ID, thus making 4 players Wiimote + nunchuk impossible, and would send the price skyrocketing)

How about a wireless dongle that plugs into the Wiimote? That way the nunchuck still communicates with the wiimote and not the console. Besides, since when can bluetooth only support 4 connections?

Lest we forget Nintendo who have enough money to play with the other two if push comes to shove.

Doubt it, Nintendo over the past several generations has shown they prefer to build up small, unknown studios, and then divest them once they become too big and expensive. Nintendo's corporate policy seems to be focused around bang for buck, not shock and awe.

IIRC, Steve Ballmer had said that 2007 is the year when the Xbox division must turn a profit. So it's unlikely we'll see a cut until the holiday season--if at all.

Why is the Xbox division just turning a profit in 2007, yet Sony plans to break even by the 2nd of 2007? Perhaps the production costs of PS3 and Xbox 360 are closer than the retail prices. I can't see Microsoft not making money faster than Sony with their impressive tie in ratio, well designed hardware, and Xbox Live.

I don't think that the concept of "selling outside the traditional gamer demographic" is being felt this early in the competition. Its hard to believe that non traditional gamers becoming so hardcore as to stand in line to buy the first shipment, constantly call to determine where and when a new shipment has arrived for pickup or preorder months in advance. I think Nintendo may be able to depend on those types of gamers once a steady supply is the norm.

Anecdotal - My future Father-in-law who is 59 years old has never owned a games console and wouldn't touch a 360, picked up a Wii through a friend at work. (his friend at work picked it up for him)

I wouldn't be surprised to see similar situations elsewhere from other story's I've heard. While it doesn't make sense that this demographic would be the type to camp out for the latest wii shipment, I keep hearing and seeing story's of people outside of the typical gamer mold buying the Wii even currently amoung the shortages.

On that note - wii sports is fun but wow - I did not expect graphics that bad. The question is - Do developers have to balance level of accuracy (with the wiimote) with graphics? From what I've heard other titles are horrible in the accuracy dept (like redsteel) while wii sports seems very accurate but the graphics are circa 1995.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, since when can bluetooth only support 4 connections?

Bluetooth only supports the connection of 1 master device and 7 slave devices (a piconet), so you wouldn't be able to have 4 players with both bluetooth nunchucks and bluetooth wiimotes.

How about a wireless dongle that plugs into the Wiimote? That way the nunchuck still communicates with the wiimote and not the console.

That's a scatternet where the Wiimote act as Bluetooth master to the nunchucks and Wiimotes as Bluetooth slaves to the Wii. That would likely to increase cost and complexity, as there are very few actual implementations of scatternets around.

Bluetooth only supports the connection of 1 master device and 7 slave devices (a piconet), so you wouldn't be able to have 4 players with both bluetooth nunchucks and bluetooth wiimotes.

That's a scatternet where the Wiimote act as Bluetooth master to the nunchucks and Wiimotes as Bluetooth slaves to the Wii. That would likely to increase cost and complexity, as there are very few actual implementations of scatternets around.

I thought the nunchucks talked through the wiimote??

Back