How well is psp doing?

Lazy8s said:
The Axim's business model doesn't subsidize hardware cost with high software prices.

Or high monthly phone bills (which you, yourself have referred to as well - cell phone hardware subsidization).

In the end, it's still yet another barrier to entry.

PC-Engine said:
If so many PSP games are being bought instead of shipped, where are they on the sales charts???

Here are the sales through September for the USA.

Nintendo DS
Code:
Super Mario 64 DS         | 1,144,137
WarioWare: Touched!       |   332,334
Spider-Man: The Movie 2   |   329,134
Asphalt: Urban GT         |   219,919
Yoshi Touch & Go          |   201,112
Madden NFL 2005           |   183,819
The Urbz: Sims in City    |   182,978
Kirby: Canvas Curse       |   173,299
Nintendogs: Dachshund     |   155,690
Nintendogs: Labrador      |   149,095
Nintendogs: Chihuahua     |   145,580
Pokemon Dash              |   125,344
SW Episode III: Sith      |   111,939
Advance Wars: Dual Strike |   100,023
Ridge Racer DS            |    98,215
Robots                    |    81,564
Rayman DS                 |    78,646
Feel the Magic: XY/XX     |    70,434
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent    |    63,897
Tiger Woods PGA 2005      |    63,625
Meteos                    |    61,478
Need Speed: Underground 2 |    57,643
Ping Pals                 |    54,355
Madagascar                |    54,238
Mr. Driller: DS           |    51,768
Zoo Keeper                |    42,677
Bomberman                 |    37,990
Yu-Gi-Oh Nightmare        |    34,741*
Retro Atari               |    33,223
Sprung                    |    28,980
T. Clancys Chaos Theory   |    27,182
Pac Pix                   |    26,727
World Champ Poker DS      |    26,112
Polarium                  |    25,610
Nanostray                 |    16,006
Madden NFL 06             |    14,817
Puyo Pop Fever            |    14,476
Lunar Dragon Song         |     9,669*
Ultimate Spiderman        |     9,600*
Lost in Blue              |     7,955*
Pac n Roll                |     7,435
Trace Memory              |     4,708*
Tak 3                     |     3,383*
Frogger: Helmet Chaos     |       655*
Whack A Mole              |       609*
Space Invaders Revolution |       550*
                          |
LTD                       | 4,663,371

Sony PSP

Code:
Need Speed: UND Rivals        |   357,298
Twisted Metal: Head On        |   327,222
Untold Legends: BTHRHD        |   325,440
Wipeout Pure                  |   230,857
Ridge Racer                   |   225,442
Metal Gear Acid               |   219,645
T.Hawk Underground 2 Remix    |   200,019
Lumines                       |   194,392
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition  |   190,708
Ape Escape: On Loose          |   164,245
Tiger Woods PGA Tour          |   150,885
NBA                           |   150,723
NFL Street 2: Unleashed       |   138,384
Spider-Man: The Movie 2       |   132,068
Coded Arms                    |   131,292
MLB                           |   130,664
ATV Off Road: Blazin          |   128,826
Hot Shots Golf: Open          |   127,495
Dynasty Warriors              |   120,345
MVP Baseball                  |   116,002
NBA Street Showdown           |   107,037
Darkstalkers Chronicle: Chaos |    92,906
A. Maclean's Mercury          |    85,361
Madden 2006                   |    82,527*
FIFA Soccer                   |    78,374
Dead To Rights: Reckoning     |    69,632
Rengoku: Purgatory            |    61,017
World Tour Soccer             |    51,916
Gretzky NHL                   |    51,620
Death Jr                      |    50,559
Burnout Legends               |    48,902*
Namco Museum Battle Col       |    43,396
Smart Bomb                    |    19,319
World Series of Poker         |    19,243*
Medievil Resurrection         |    17,784*
Tiger Woods PGA 2006          |     5,236*
Gripshift                     |     4,800*
Frantix                       |     2,341*
Dynasty Warriors Premium      |     1,813
Frogger: Helmet Chaos         |       523*
                              |
PSP Total                     | 4,656,258

Last edited by a moderator:
A source would be nice. That's less than 5 million games though. Where's the rest of the 5 million? I find it really strange that the US numbers are almost exactly the same.

mckmas8808 said:
Here are the sales through September for the USA.
do you have a link to a source? the nintendo numbers seam to follow the nintendo trend, with first party titles leading sales charts. i can can believe that mario 64 was the big seller thus far for the console, especialy considering it was free with the system (not in the box, so it was probably counted as a sale) for a while. i would have expected to see a stronger showing from sports titles on psp, along with ridge racer being a little closer to the top. but the attatch rate for psp looks astounding.

PC-Engine said:
A source would be nice. That's less than 5 million games though. Where's the rest of the 5 million? I find it really strange that the US numbers are almost exactly the same.

What's strange about it? Why is it impossible for you to see that the PSP in the USA software wise to selling just as good as the DS? Why must the PSP suck to you?

mckmas8808 said:
What's strange about it? Why is it impossible for you to see that the PSP in the USA software wise to selling just as good as the DS? Why must the PSP suck to you?

What's strange about the game totals being almost exactly the same? Even though one launched a lot ealier than the other? You tell me. Doesn't it seem fishy to you? That's like Toyota selling the exact same number of Camrys as Honda Accords even though it was introduced later.

Do you have a source?

Clashman said:
According to the info in this thread, Nintendo had already sold 4.75 million DS titles in North America by March 2005:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20392&highlight=nintendo+software+sales

Thank you Clashman.
icon14.gif

mckmas8808 said:
Thank you Clashman.
icon14.gif

Somebody just got....OWNED!!! ;)

Care to explain how DS game totals went backwards from 4.75 million to 4.66 million from March to Sept?:LOL:

I smelled something fishy about your numbers...

It's possible they the other figures were "year to date" figures and not cumulative totals. Still, I'd like to see where those numbers came from.

Clashman said:
It's possible they the other figures were "year to date" figures and not cumulative totals. Still, I'd like to see where those numbers came from.

I successfully googled the numbers back to two posts from the ga-forum.
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=67146&page=5&pp=50

The numbers are posted by fuzzy. I have ho idea of where he/she got the numbers from.

Somebody just got....OWNED!!!

Care to explain how DS game totals went backwards from 4.75 million to 4.66 million from March to Sept?

I smelled something fishy about your numbers...

Someone posted a few pages back that you should take great care not confusing the number shipped and sold games for the PSP since most of them are collecting dust at the shelves in the stores. I guess the same is true for the Nintendo DS.

Someone posted a few pages back that you should take great care not confusing the number shipped and sold games for the PSP since most of them are collecting dust at the shelves in the stores. I guess the same is true for the Nintendo DS.

The numbers for DS seem to be sold vs shipped...

Short version: If the source does not explicitly say so, then it should be "shipped" numbers.
========================================================

Longer explanations: In most industries, such sales figures are almost always "Sales-In" numbers (i.e., the "shipped" figures). This is because such data is readily available from their own ERPs without relying too much on their resellers to submit potentially sensitive market data.

Surprisingly, it is considerably more difficult to obtain actual "Sales-Out" (sometimes also known fuzzily as POS data or "Sales-Thru") numbers, especially in a timely fashion. Getting the distributors/resellers to fish some of these data out from their IT systems can take 6 months or more (because they are under-staffed !). Sometimes these are obtained from a portion of the channels (via different means, including buying the data from 3rd parties) and then projected.

If products are sitting on their resellers' shelves for too long, they are typically handled via "stock balancing" (i.e., return the unsaleable products in exchange for other goods). This is true even if the resellers take title of the goods. At times the manufacturer may force the distributors to take up "bundles", but over time "stock balancing" will kick in to flush the stagnant goods to keep the business relationships going.

While the concerns about channel stuffing (i.e., shifting goods to the distributors to report fake/higher sales figures, while the goods are gathering dust in the warehouse/on the shelves) are valid, many companies have reduced it over the past 5 years.
Such practice is detrimental to the supply chain in the long run.

With the introduction of Sarbane-Oxley, auditors in general will review through past records more carefully and refuse to recognize sales revenue based on just Sales In numbers. This further dis-incent channel stuffing (although it's still used tactically and in small numbers sometimes).

The long and short of it is:
If the source does not explicitly say so, it should be "shipped" numbers. It has been like this for the past few decades. We should be able to use the "Sales In" (shipped) numbers in good faith. The "products collecting dust" are in general used as buffer to make sure the supply chain flow smoothly.

Welcome to the world of channel data collection :D

There are 2 different sets of numbers quoted.
(A) Nintendo's DS numbers in March (I didn't bother to read the document, it's 4:00am here)
(B) GA forum numbers comparing DS and PSP within the same context

It may not make sense to compare (A) and (B) without knowing how they collect their numbers. At this point, you can either:

(1) Take the numbers in (B) "wholesale" since they seem to have broken them out based on the same assumptions; but find out from the GamingAge guys what the context really is (could be Month/Quarter/Year-to-Date instead of Launch-to-Date to facilitate the comparison ? could be "Sales-Out" numbers, or may be from certain outlet only. I don't know !).

(2) Pin against Nintendo's Launch-to-March numbers (4.75 million), or Sony's 2Q (July-Sept) numbers (They just shipped some 9 million software units in 2Q) and try to find matching figures from the other camp.

(3) Identify (worldwide) weekly/monthly sales. You had a partial picture in one of your original posts.

If we were to believe (1), PSP looks good. We don't have complete/comparable data for (2) and (3) to conclude anything. Do keep your eyes open so we can continue the discussion later. I'm curious to find out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's so surprising about the PSP selling well? It's got a lot going for it.

Not so much the "games", right now.. but that may change if Sony gets its head out of its ass.

Ty said:
Thanks for this. As a side note, why do sales for the micro suck so much? Is it like jvd said, too expensive? It certainly is not selling like hotcakes.

You cannot expect a facelifted GBA to sell the same numbers as DS units. It's selling better than SP which is exacly what it was positioned to do especially considering it's more expensive than SP.

Back