How well is psp doing?

PC-Engine said:
Well I would hope so considering PS2 is on it's last legs compared to a completly new PSP console.

Flawed. Doesn't explain why PS2 is selling so much better than the rest of the systems that week, including Gameboy Micro (also new). But if that's how you choose to see things, that's fine by me.

PC-Engine said:
Oh and the reason why I posted the Japan chart was because that survey Deepak posted was also for the Japanese market.;)

Also flawed. They are 2 different set of numbers. It is unclear what age group (segment of users) "Deepak's survey" target. May not make sense to counter it with a generic sales chart like what you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flawed. Doesn't explain why PS2 is selling so much better than the rest of the systems that week, including Gameboy Micro (also new). But if that's how you choose to see things, that's fine by me.

GBM is not new. It's a repackaged GBA. PSP is new unfortunately the games are repackaged PS2 ports hence the poor PSP games sales. People are buying PSP to play Nintendo games.;) :LOL:

Also flawed. They are 2 different set of numbers. It is unclear what age group (segment of users) "Deepak's survey" target. May not make sense to counter it with a generic sales chart like what you did.

Doesn't matter what the age groups were. What matters is that they're for Japan and PSP games aren't selling too well in Japan end of discussion.

mckmas8808 said:
1. It's a plain fact that movies on the PSP looks absolutely stunning. Most sane people at least see this as a fact.

2. You can get a 1 Gig Pro Duo stick for less than $80 now. Of course it's not as good as say an ipod, yet the MP3 ability is a bonus.

3. What game are you playing where it last for 2 hours? GTA last 4.5 hours for me. Burnout last 5+ hours. Of course a handheld with better graphics, sound, and optical disc will drain more battery power than one without these things.

4. I agree games are more expensive. But I'm starting to see $39.99 games at many places.

5. And please stop it with this no games Bull$hit about the PSP. The psp has plenty of games now just go to Target and see for yourself. Count the number of psp games and then count the number of DS games. You will see they are quite equal. In all honesty I counted more psp games in my local Target. Go figure.

yeah stunning alright with what 480 x 272 resolution and the movies cost more to boot. That's like a little over 1/3 of standard DVD resolution (480*720)

Where do you think I got the PSP and DS? although I din't mention it, it was at target.

if you would actually learn to READ what I SAID you would not be talking about # of games I was comparing what I spent to get 3 games and a DS for less than what I bought a PSP for. IF you want to compare further I can get a DS and 4 games for less than the price of a PSP and one game $270 versus $325. and I have seen PSP games for $28 but they are some of the less popular titles

$80 for a gig of ram? 30Gig Ipod for $199 you tell me what is cheaper 30*80 is $2400 for the same storage space.........(before tax)

We got 2.4 hours out of battlefront II for the PSP and it cost $50 (at target)

sure the screen looks nice on a PSP I never said it didnt but to me resolution is just as important as pretty screen when it comes to movie watching.....

PC-Engine said:
GBM is not new. It's a repackaged GBA. PSP is new unfortunately the games are repackaged PS2 ports hence the poor PSP games sales. People are buying PSP to play Nintendo games.;) :LOL: .

Let's take this step by step. We were talking about PSP itself. It's selling well. Please acknowledge this fact first. As for PSP games, the situation is improving. Sure people are buying PSP for playing Nintendo games, that also contribute to PSP's popularity. However how many % of PSP buyers are buying it for playing just Nintendo games ? Do you know ?

PC-Engine said:
Doesn't matter what the age groups were. What matters is that they're for Japan and PSP games aren't selling too well in Japan end of discussion.

It makes a whole world of difference to interpret the dynamics. For example, a possible interpretation could be:

Based on the chart you gave for all-Japan sales, the top games are very kiddish in nature. Then based on the Gameboy hardware sales numbers, it seems that Nintendo DS has cannibalized the bulk of the Gameboy sales (compared to DS vs PS, it's actually more of DS vs Gameboy in consumers' mind). So you're seeing the kids user base that has been built and dominated by Nintendo for last 10 years in Japan transferred to DS userbase (as they "upgrade"). Hence the numbers that show DS games are selling well as they pick up new games. If true, this is not too good for Nintendo even though there was something published that Nintendogs brought in a larger proportion of female gamers.

PSP targets a different segment. Depending on which segment the survey probed (most likely "matured gamers"), the response may not match the all-Japan sales number as a whole. Hence your earlier conclusion: "Kinda ironic that what they plan on buying [according to the survey] and what's actually being bought don't jive [based on numbers on the all-Japan sales chart]...").

PSP has its shortfalls, but I don't think it can be assessed fairly with broad generalization. It's a new market that Sony is addressing (PS2 is not sacrificed), give it time for things to pan out.

Reactions: Ty
Yes ! the PSP is definitely more pricey. No doubt about it. Am curious what attracted you to buy it ? This is not a challenge, but a genuine probe for "why ?". Because of the novelty of watching movie ? or for the games ? Do you have a iPod video ?

YeuEmMaiMai said:
sure the screen looks nice on a PSP I never said it didnt but to me resolution is just as important as pretty screen when it comes to movie watching.....

The only thing I'd like to add (for other people who may be interested in movie-on-the-go) is:
Screen size is important in movie viewing too. I found this out the hard way when trying to watch a foreign film on GBA movie player (life action or anime). The subtitle is too small.

patsu said:
Let's take this step by step. We were talking about PSP itself. It's selling well. Please acknowledge this fact first. As for PSP games, the situation is improving. Sure people are buying PSP for playing Nintendo games, that also contribute to PSP's popularity. However how many % of PSP buyers are buying it for playing just Nintendo games ? Do you know ?

It makes a whole world of difference to interpret the dynamics. For example, a possible interpretation could be:

Based on the chart you gave for all-Japan sales, the top games are very kiddish in nature. Then based on the Gameboy hardware sales numbers, it seems that Nintendo DS has cannibalized the bulk of the Gameboy sales (compared to DS vs PS, it's actually more of DS vs Gameboy in consumers' mind). So you're seeing the kids user base that has been built and dominated by Nintendo for last 10 years in Japan transferred to DS userbase (as they "upgrade"). Hence the numbers that show DS games are selling well as they pick up new games. If true, this is not too good for Nintendo even though there was something published that Nintendogs brought in a larger proportion of female gamers.

PSP targets a different segment. Depending on which segment the survey probed (most likely "matured gamers"), the response may not match the all-Japan sales number as a whole. Hence your earlier conclusion: "Kinda ironic that what they plan on buying [according to the survey] and what's actually being bought don't jive [based on numbers on the all-Japan sales chart]...").

PSP has its shortfalls, but I don't think it can be assessed fairly with broad generalization. It's a new market that Sony is addressing (PS2 is not sacrificed), give it time for things to pan out.

Of course the DS will take from the GBA SP sales as it's less than $30 between the two and the DS can play all of the GBA/SP games

I think the PSP is nice but from a gaming point of view, it's expensive......

YeuEmMaiMai said:
yeah stunning alright with what 480 x 272 resolution and the movies cost more to boot. That's like a little over 1/3 of standard DVD resolution (480*720)

How far away are you sitting when watching it? For the screen size, I thought the pixel resolution is one of the highest out there.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
Of course the DS will take from the GBA SP sales as it's less than $30 between the two and the DS can play all of the GBA/SP games.

Wha? I thought the GBASP is about $79.00, and the DS is $129. Which is $50. The micro is 99.

PC-Engine said:
Shovelware doesn't cut it...sorry. ;)

Thanks for that list, I can name at least 8-10 games on it that I want right now. I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove, but it made me happy I have a PSP.

$80 for a gig of ram? 30Gig Ipod for $199 you tell me what is cheaper 30*80 is $2400 for the same storage space.........(before tax)

Dude, it's $100 for a 512mb shuffle. Keep extending your analogy with that :rolleyes: You're mad if you can't understand that there is a price difference between flash RAM and hard disk based solutions.

Man, the anti-PSP brigade have to come up with some really weak and bizarre arguments. Like what's PC-Engine going on about with PSP not doing that well if it's only being outsold by the PS2, despite the fact that that means it was outselling everything else. Buh?

I don't see anyone trying to bag out the DS nearly as much as Nintendo patrol tend to try and bring down the PSP. Why is that? Classic Nintendo f@nboy insecurity?

I don't have a DS, I didn't want one, I'm only vaguely considering one now that they're cheaper - yet I don't feel the need to constantly bag it out just because it's not my system of choice. I admire Nintendo for what they've done with it, for not sticking to the normal mold, and for creating new markets. You guys would do well to accept that the PSP IS doing well, IS a good console, IS good value for money, and stop harping on and on and on about it, especially you PC-Engine. I much preferred this forum when he was banned.

PSP has to be working out real nice for Sony right now.

They are holding their own, maybe better, at an extremely high price point for a handheld.

Face it, they're all headed to $99 eventually. And then PSP is going to be sitting pretty. And remember 10+ year life cycles on handhelds, if not indefinite. Hell PSP pushes the mobile tech so much, I'm not sure anybody is CAPABLE of outdoing it technically for quite some time, especially as they reap the benefits of mass production..

Bill said:
PSP has to be working out real nice for Sony right now.

They are holding their own, maybe better, at an extremely high price point for a handheld.

Face it, they're all headed to $99 eventually. And then PSP is going to be sitting pretty. And remember 10+ year life cycles on handhelds, if not indefinite. Hell PSP pushes the mobile tech so much, I'm not sure anybody is CAPABLE of outdoing it technically for quite some time, especially as they reap the benefits of mass production..

I'm not sure SONY has been making any money on PSP hardware. Add to that poor PSP software sales and it doesn't look good when it comes to bringing in money. PSP is looking more and more like Xbox which MS lost billions on.

Poor software sales? Movies and games alike have been selling shitloads, not sure what you're on about.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp/psp-sales-sustain-sonys-earnings-002025.php

Sony has announced its earnings report for its Second fiscal quarter ended Sept. 30. While most of Sony’s divisions saw drops in sales and profits, the game division saw increases thanks in large part to the PSP. Overall game division sales increased 79.1% thanks to a “significant contribution to sales
from PSP.” 3.75 million PSP hardware units shipped, while 9 million software units were shipped.

Apparently 20 million game units have been shipped overall, and 15 million movies, and that was in October before GTA:LCS shipped.

Whoah shipped numbers cool man like for sure! Yeah most of those shipped is gathering dust on the shelves. If you only got 2 games on the top 30, you ain't selling much no matter how much you shipped.

been selling shitloads

Yeah....riiiight...more like shipping...

mech said:
Dude, it's $100 for a 512mb shuffle. Keep extending your analogy with that :rolleyes: You're mad if you can't understand that there is a price difference between flash RAM and hard disk based solutions.

Man, the anti-PSP brigade have to come up with some really weak and bizarre arguments. Like what's PC-Engine going on about with PSP not doing that well if it's only being outsold by the PS2, despite the fact that that means it was outselling everything else. Buh?

I don't see anyone trying to bag out the DS nearly as much as Nintendo patrol tend to try and bring down the PSP. Why is that? Classic Nintendo f@nboy insecurity?

I don't have a DS, I didn't want one, I'm only vaguely considering one now that they're cheaper - yet I don't feel the need to constantly bag it out just because it's not my system of choice. I admire Nintendo for what they've done with it, for not sticking to the normal mold, and for creating new markets. You guys would do well to accept that the PSP IS doing well, IS a good console, IS good value for money, and stop harping on and on and on about it, especially you PC-Engine. I much preferred this forum when he was banned.

First off I have both of them and I am free to draw comparisons

Rabid fans like to say that the PSP can be an MP 3 player, connect to the Internet, and a movie player(notice I didn't say DVD cause it cannot play DVDs). While this is certantly true it is not very practicle to use it as such due to variosu factors being cost, screen resolution and functionality. Surfing the Internet with the PSP is like surfing with a phone. you would not use it on a regular basis..

What you think that a PSP is a great MP3 player? From a COST point of view it SUCKS because the storage capacity is not there.....until you spend insane amount of cash......it is also extremely large and bulky compared to other flash type players.

If sony would have made the PSP a gaming system instead of a convergence device they would be doing a lot better than they are now and this is evidenced by weekly sales. (don't think it is valid to compare 2005 totals sales since PSP was not out until sept)

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2005 Sales

1.) Nintendo DS - 48,520 | 46,826 | 2,032,796 [ Sales to date: 3,528,392 ]
2.) PSP - 29,395 | 27,837 | 1,538,352 [ Sales to date: 1,995,504 ]
3.) Game Boy micro - 9,349 | 11,656 | 328,039
4.) Game Boy Advance SP - 7,089 | 6,515 | 589,476 [ Sales to date: 5,584,528 ]
5.) Game Boy Advance - 284 | 321 | 22,139

for the last week in portable gaming sales Nintendo outsold Sony 2.29 to 1

PC-Engine said:
Whoah shipped numbers cool man like for sure! Yeah most of those shipped is gathering dust on the shelves. If you only got 2 games on the top 30, you ain't selling much no matter how much you shipped.

Yeah....riiiight...more like shipping...

Hey, good comeback! Because all those millions of copies were shipped to other warehouses, and never sold to the public right?

:rolleyes:

Seriously, it's pathetic. All you do is troll, and I'm sick of you ruining threads like this.

First off I have both of them and I am free to draw comparisons

Do you still not understand why it's flawed to compare flash based memory to a hard disk based solution?

Rabid fans like to say that the PSP can be an MP 3 player, connect to the Internet, and a movie player(notice I didn't say DVD cause it cannot play DVDs). While this is certantly true it is not very practicle to use it as such due to variosu factors being cost, screen resolution and functionality. Surfing the Internet with the PSP is like surfing with a phone. you would not use it on a regular basis..

Not very practical? Mate, 4 of my friends and I travelled around Europe together with a PSP each, and it was awesome. Browsed the internet through wi-fi hotspots, watched heaps of movies on it (via memory stick and UMD), how you can you seriously say that it's not practical? Functionality is great, cost is the same as any other flash based product, and screen resolution is awesome. No it's not fantastic to browse the net with compared to a laptop, but it's a heap better than using a mobile phone.

What you think that a PSP is a great MP3 player? From a COST point of view it SUCKS because the storage capacity is not there.....until you spend insane amount of cash......it is also extremely large and bulky compared to other flash type players.

Why are you starting to harp on about the PSP's functionality as an MP3 player...? I never even mentioned it.

And again, are you thick? Its pricing is in the same ballpark as other flash based players. Flash RAM has come down dramtically in price - it's around AU$100 for a gig here now, which is more than reasonable IMO - my 512mb flash mp3 player is 6 months old and it cost me $85. 512mb iPod shuffle is $150.

And yes, it's larger than a flash MP3 player - OF COURSE IT IS. It's a multimedia powerhouse.

If sony would have made the PSP a gaming system instead of a convergence device they would be doing a lot better than they are now and this is evidenced by weekly sales. (don't think it is valid to compare 2005 totals sales since PSP was not out until sept)

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2005 Sales

1.) Nintendo DS - 48,520 | 46,826 | 2,032,796 [ Sales to date: 3,528,392 ]
2.) PSP - 29,395 | 27,837 | 1,538,352 [ Sales to date: 1,995,504 ]
3.) Game Boy micro - 9,349 | 11,656 | 328,039
4.) Game Boy Advance SP - 7,089 | 6,515 | 589,476 [ Sales to date: 5,584,528 ]
5.) Game Boy Advance - 284 | 321 | 22,139

Are those Japan only sales?

It's a well known fact that PSP trails DS by about 2:1 in Japan. It does not hold true elsewhere.

As I said in my original post: why do you guys harp on about this? Do you feel threatened by it? Both the DS and PSP are doing great, why all the fuss?

Hey, good comeback! Because all those millions of copies were shipped to other warehouses, and never sold to the public right?

If so many PSP games are being bought instead of shipped, where are they on the sales charts???

YeuEmMaiMai said:
Rabid fans like to say that the PSP can be an MP 3 player, connect to the Internet, and a movie player
One does not have to be a rabid fan to say it can do these things, because obviously, it CAN do all of these things... You're heading nowhere in a great big hurry with this kind of pointless reasoning.

(notice I didn't say DVD cause it cannot play DVDs)
Nor can it cook TV dinners or do your laundry either, but then again, the same is the case for any other portable console for that matter. Why do you even bother to bring this up?

While this is certantly true it is not very practicle to use it as such due to variosu factors being cost, screen resolution and functionality.
I suppose next you're going to say it's no good for playing games on either because screen is too small (despite having highest rez of any portable gaming device), blah blah.

Surfing the Internet with the PSP is like surfing with a phone. you would not use it on a regular basis..
It's not like surfing on a phone. The PSP screen is much bigger than any phone's. And in case you haven't understood, the PSP is a PORTABLE device. Nobody would use the PSP to surf with when at home (unless some people are compulsive surfers and will bring it with them to the loo or such), just as nobody would drag their home desktop and screen with them downtown and plug them in at Starbucks. Again: your arguing is going exceedingly poorly trying to fault this product for having a wide set of actually useable features.

I don't have to spend "an insane" amount of cash. I can buy an 1GB duo for only slightly more than the equivalent size SD-card. You're doing a great case showing what a backwards individual you are. You're picking the PSP apart looking at every feature only from the negative angles. It's like if we were discussing cars, you'd be like, "it's huge! And noisy! And HEAVY! And the engine won't run if you run out of fuel! WAAAHHHH!!!"

What you're doing here is commonly known as "whining".

Of course hardly anybody would buy a PSP to use only as a MP3 player (I'm sure there's someone somewhere doing just that, but then again there are people lifting big rocks with their schlongs too), but that's not the device's primary purpose. It's a gaming device, which thanks to its powerful hardware and comprehensive feature-set can do other stuff as well. It can surf the web because it's got wifi and a CPU fast enough to run a browser effectively on a mildly useable resolution screen, it can play MP3s because it's got a flashcard slot and a good sound processor, and so on. It's sort of interesting in a bizarre twilight zone manner to see you turn the table around and portray these features as disadvantages. Especially considering none of the PSP's (succesful) competitors have any of these features.

If sony would have made the PSP a gaming system instead of a convergence device they would be doing a lot better than they are now and this is evidenced by weekly sales.
I don't see how you can use events that did NOT happen as evidence of what WOULD have happened, had said things happened. You're just making shit up, that's all.

Nintendo sells more because Nintendo's been doing the portable thing for over fifteen years now. They've got the mindset, reputation, and have during this time built up a library of popular franchises and good original titles, and not to be underestimated, their hardware is less expensive (though technically and functionally inferior).

It doesn't mean that Sony would have done much better sales-wise if they'd put together a el-cheapo simple console out of ancient tech like Nintendo did. Most likely, they'd rather failed miserably at the attempt, because you can't compete head-on with the 800-pound gorilla that is Nintendo in their own niche. Nobody who has tried has survied the attempt.

On the other hand, with a more advanced and expensive console Sony can carve out a space for themselves above Nintendo and flourish quite well, like they do now, and even more so in the future when PS3 is released and the two will benefit from interconnectivity.

The Dell Axim X50v and X51v play portable games with higher resolution screens, 640x480. With the VGA screen, movie playback can be DVD quality, too.

Lazy8s said:
The Dell Axim X50v and X51v play portable games with higher resolution screens, 640x480. With the VGA screen, movie playback can be DVD quality, too.

Those Axims are nice (I've fooled around with them). Too bad they don't play games with nearly the same ergonomics as the PSP/DS/GBA (which is one huge barrier to entry I mentioned previously). And of course they aren't cheap either!

Back