How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

How to sell a next-gen console?
It's like this:

<< Unreal Engine 5 2021 Trailer >>

With this, all of a sudden Epic showed the world why people should buy a PS5.
What Microsoft couldn't achieve with last week's stream for the Series X in 40 minutes, Epic did it for Sony in 9 minutes.

Also, "running on a PS5" shows a completely different level of platform maturity than the "we're planning to make it look like this" messages we saw in SeriesX' stream.
what a tech demo ?

With MS's strategy I know what games I will be playing on the platform this fall or early next year. With Unreal I know what technology the engine is capable of running in 2021 when it releases. But when do games using it come out?

Then you find out its 1440p 30fps and my attention went strait to the new video cards that will hopefully play this at 4k

With sony's strategy you put out this video but what game is going to live up to it? When all the release window and first year games look like MS's 3rd party videos your going to just have disappointment then

With sony's strategy you put out this video but what game is going to live up to it? When all the release window and first year games look like MS's 3rd party videos your going to just have disappointment then
That doesn't matter with marketing though. It's about convincing people they want your product, and not about giving them realistic expectations. It's about generating excitement and selling a dream, and even belief as in the case with PS3's believed 'superiority'.

That doesn't matter with marketing though. It's about convincing people they want your product, and not about giving them realistic expectations. It's about generating excitement and selling a dream, and even belief as in the case with PS3's believed 'superiority'.
I think Dsoup's edit gets the point across

I will hold off excitement for either system until they start showing off their games that are hitting in 2021 . I am still going pc however. Dropping in a $500-$700 graphics card this fall will do much more for me than either of these consoles

I think Dsoup's edit gets the point across
Indeed, it's what I was implying.

I will hold off excitement for either system until they start showing off their games that are hitting in 2021 . I am still going pc however. Dropping in a $500-$700 graphics card this fall will do much more for me than either of these consoles
If you were the norm for the market's response to marketing, PR would operate very differently. But it's been proven time and again people will choose an exciting promise over a prosaic reality almost every time. Successful marketing of a product is making people want it.

Indeed, it's what I was implying.

If you were the norm for the market's response to marketing, PR would operate very differently. But it's been proven time and again people will choose an exciting promise over a prosaic reality almost every time. Successful marketing of a product is making people want it.

I mean the norm is people buying xbox ones and ps4s at $200-$300 not launch day systems. So maybe lock heart is the answer !

what a tech demo ?
A tech demo that looked a lot more like gameplay than Assassin's Creed Valhalla's "«'gameplay demo'»" from last week. So yes.

With MS's strategy I know what games I will be playing on the platform this fall or early next year.
I saw a bunch of games that gained very little with the transition from current gen to SeriesX (which is what this thread is all about, right?).
The Internet got excited with this demo. The Internet was not excited with last weeks' stream (on the contrary, the criticism was pretty general and obvious).

With Unreal I know what technology the engine is capable of running in 2021 when it releases.
Yes, and it's the most exciting videogame-related cilp I've seen in the last months, probably years. And I'm 100% positive it was the same for many other people.
Besides, 2021 is coming ~2 months after the new consoles release. It's not that long of a wait.

Then you find out its 1440p 30fps and my attention went strait to the new video cards that will hopefully play this at 4k
I'm afraid you'll be letdown by the fact that the latest $1500 nvidia top-end Ampere graphics card probably still won't let you play this.
Like Epic has been explaining, this is highly dependent on the PS5's I/O effective speeds (which has nothing remotely similar on the PC, not even on roadmaps) because they're fetching assets from the I/O every frame.

The PS5 or the SeriesX won't play your Metro Exodus with raytracing enabled at 4K60 like your $1500 Ampere 3080Ti, but it looks like a $3000 PC won't be able to emulate what you saw on this demo anytime soon regardless.
I think I/O will be a bottleneck on the PC for quite some time.

Well this isn't Sony's strategy. So far it looks like Epic's strategy as I haven't seen Sony commenting on this at all.
Regardless, many of Sony's 1st-party games owe nothing to The Samaritan demo IMO, and that's how much I'm expecting for this gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 months away from what? From now? Is that a relevant metric, considering neither next-gen console is releasing in another 5 to 6 months?
This is the "how to sell a next-gen console" thread, so that's the starting point that matters.

From the video with Tim Sweeney and the Epic team:

"Preview in early 2021" -> Game demos could come in early 2021, so 3-4 months after the consoles release.
"Full release in later 2021" -> "Later" doesn't mean mid to late.
"Fortnite will transition to UE5 in mid 2021" -> Not "mid to late", it's mid and not later. That's 8 months after the consoles release, not 15.

15 months away from what? From now?

Yes, at least 15 months from now until UE 5 can be used in Next-Gen games.

Naturally, I see your point that marketing doesn't have to be realistic to sell consoles. But anyone who expects launch titles or even games that release before late 2021 to look like UE5 Tech Demo will be disappointed (Hello @ultragpu ;) ).

retweeted by guy from Bloomberg

unknown.png

Agreed, a $400 nextgen console should entice the same number of early adopters as last launch.

I mean the norm is people buying xbox ones and ps4s at $200-$300 not launch day systems. So maybe lock heart is the answer !
Pre-launch marketing is irrelevant for them. Nothing MS shows now up until probably Christmas 2021 will have any baring on those people buying consoles. Except that by that point, you want the console to be selling itself, which means getting lots of early adopters and exciting coverage.

I think more, 400$ is not as much as it was in 2013 and both xsx and ps5 are surprisingly powerful

I think maybe less, as $400 is a lot more in the US now since the Pandemic caused 15% unemployment rate with projections for hitting 25%. So while yes, it's not as much a it was in 2013 people's priorities have shifted. So overall, it depends on how quickly return to the new normal happens and what the new normal is.

I think maybe less, as $400 is a lot more in the US now since the Pandemic caused 15% unemployment rate with projections for hitting 25%. So while yes, it's not as much a it was in 2013 people's priorities have shifted. So overall, it depends on how quickly return to the new normal happens and what the new normal is.

I bet both Microsoft and Sony are looking at their store revenue over the past couple of months and seeing if they can infer any drop off in spending. Of course, that's not necessarily indicative of what come in the next six months. The simplest thing to do would be a short non-mandatory survey at login. Give people $5-10 Live/PSN credit for answering questions like do plan to buy a PS5/XSX, Y/N. If Y, at launch or later. Companies don't have to guess, they can ask - they have a direct conduit to the vast majority of their customers.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed Inside Xbox and the slew of games that were shown but there is simply no denying the tepid response when compared to yesterday's Epic showing.
ue5-sa-resized.png

And the one that I find especially funny but also a little overly dramatic.

ue5-sb-resized.png

Sony has essentially galvanized the association of next gen unreal engine graphics and PS5. Every article and video mentions in some way PS5 and Tim Sweeney's comments on PS5 SSD. This has been a very effective marketing strategy either by Epic but mostly both Epic and Sony were involved. Sony also debuted a demo of UE4 on consoles with PS4 and UE3 on PS3.

The unreal engine video has almost 6 million views on epic’s channel and 4 million views on IGN (Series X gameplay reveal is at 800k). This is a massive messaging win for sure, but a lot can happen between now and launch. We still need to know the price tag for both consoles and how PS5 looks.

Just tried to post the same

The unreal engine video has almost 6 million views on epic’s channel and 4 million views on IGN (Series X gameplay reveal is at 800k). This is a massive messaging win for sure, but a lot can happen between now and launch. We still need to know the price tag for both consoles and how PS5 looks.

I guess the answer to how to sell a console is to show a demo in youtube. Link to check the views. also the unreal video is top trending youtube video in my area.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=unreal+5+ps5&sp=CAM%3D

Back