Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

Horizon's engine unloads terrain that user cannot see.
ucoln8kedwfglsrlxvm5.gif

Witcher 3 for example culls only objects [trees, foliage, houses, NPCs, etc], but terrain is unaffected.

This is excellent. Really helps to maximise draw distance and draw distance in that game is incredible.
GG really did an excellent job, both artistically and technically.

New Horizon's engine unloads terrain that user cannot see.
Does it actually do that? AFAIK, completely unloading assets is unwise, it freezes the AI/Physics in the areas unloaded, it also slows down the drawing process, exposing the game to a bigger risk of pop-ins and pop-outs whenever the player makes a sudden move. The terrain is most probably hidden, but not completely unloaded.
Witcher 3 for example culls only objects [trees, foliage, houses, NPCs, etc], but terrain is unaffected.
I think W3 used Umbra which is capable of unloading terrain, but they chose not to implement it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h4QgDBwQhc

Reactions: JPT
As the PS4 is based on a unified memory architecture unloading something would mean to load it in request from disk, which I am pretty sure will not happen. This is very likely just frustum culling to reduce load during rendering.

gfx can be discarded (if it was procedurally generated or some such) and regenerated on demand
Precisely, Horizon uses a GPU procedural placement technique to generate the wildlands in the game. So this is most likely the culling hiding the procedural algorithm outside the player's view.

Took some vacation time off work from Wednesday last week. With the weekend and the additional bank holiday on Monday (blessed UK April Bank Holiday), I was able to polish off Horizon.

A spectacular game with a great story and superb protagonist. Loved every minute and GG has me hungering for more.

Also...

... dat Titan at the end!!

Edit:

I'm glad I finished the game. I'm glad I'm able to now work through my addiction to in-game Turkey murder... gonna move onto other games and go cold-turkey :devilish:
I know, it was dry.

Finally had time to get the Platinum. Which gave me the chance to replay a good chunk of it on my new spectacular HDR 4K set. And what can I say. Spectacular.

Total bitch to get the platinum though.

Finally had time to get the Platinum. Which gave me the chance to replay a good chunk of it on my new spectacular HDR 4K set. And what can I say. Spectacular.

Total bitch to get the platinum though.
Good to see you're enjoying it :), Z9D to me makes most game look like they're on Ultra settings and beyond. Can't wait to see God of War, CoD WWII, BFII, RDR2, Days Gone, Detroit and a slew of other high end games running on it.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a ZD9 as well but I now have to research the A1.

I'm dying to get a new 4k TV with PS4Pro to enjoy this game again in all it's 4k glory...

But alas, my wife says we need to buy a new house first.

I know which one I'd prefer :devilish:

PAtch 1.30 new game +, ultra hard difficulty mode ,two new trophie and some new unlocakeble collectible and buf fix

LATEST PATCH: 1.30
We’re pleased to announce that Patch 1.30 for Horizon Zero Dawn will be released today.
In addition to fixing a number of progression issues, technical issues and crashes, as outlined below.
This patch will also introduce New Game+ and a new difficulty level: Ultra Hard Mode

If you encounter an issue while playing Horizon Zero Dawn, please try reloading a recent manual save, quicksave or autosave from the “Load” menu option. If the issue persists, please take screenshots of the area where it occurred and your location on the map, and forward them to us for further investigation.

Patch Summary
New game+ added for players who want to play through the game with their existing gear.
Ultra Hard mode is added for the players that are up for another challenge!
Added two new trophies to the game: One for completing New game+ and one for completing New game+ in ultra-hard mode.

Added support for all EU and US text Languages on EU and US games.

General Fixes
Fixed an issue for some players in “The Looming Shadow” where two guards would disappear after Blameless Marad speaks to them.
Fixed an issue for certain players with the Lodge Ropecaster where the ropecaster’s anchors that are automatically shot in the ground would not stick to the terrain while shooting from a crouched position.
Fixed an issue for some players where bandit camps would incorrectly display as ‘Undiscovered’ within the world map if the player had cleared all bandit camps.
Fixed an issue with “Cauldron Zeta” where for some players the quest log would disappear after completing the quest.
Fixed an issue that some players encountered with the animations of Aloy. When the player would perform a melee attack and use the Focus almost simultaneously, it would cause Aloy’s upper body to twist unnatural for a moment.
Fixed an issue with the humanoid scream and attack indicators.
Fixed an issue in “Deep Secrets of the Earth” where for some players the data points in Sobeck’s office were not obtainable if the player wanted to pick them after the explosion caused by Helis, as they had disappeared.
Fixed an issue with the Tearblaster statistics being incorrectly displayed in the weapon wheel.

Progression Issues Fixes
Fixed an issue in “Field of the Fallen” where for some players Erend would not appear and thus blocked progression of this quest.
Fixed an issue in “The City of the Sun” where some players might teleport through the protester scene, blocking progression as Erend would not open the door to Olin’s apartment.

Crash Fixes

Fixed miscellaneous crashes.
Miscellaneous Fixes
Minor text fixes.

Great timing on Game+ mode. This is a game I want to replay for the story and core gameplay but want to grind as little for gear as possible. Game+ mode is the best gaming feature introduced in decades.

Strange I've already finished the game prior to the patch but why is my new game+ mode greyed out? Do I have to finish my last mission first before it becomes available?

Strange I've already finished the game prior to the patch but why is my new game+ mode greyed out? Do I have to finish my last mission first before it becomes available?
I figured it out. Continue your game, press options , choose to create ur new game + profile or something. The game takes ur inventory and saves it for new game + . Then go to the main menu and now ur New game+ option will be available.

Got the perfect way to replay in HDR. :D

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Back