Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by ultragpu, Jun 16, 2015.

1. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white(ish)!
    Veteran

They might have just been constructed for a digital Jurassic Park and the factories are still running. Bit like how the Triffids took over when the world went blind.

Billy Idol likes this.
  2. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

3. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I seriously love the look this game. Blew me away wholesale. Open world RPG with this setting means insta-buy for me. And being one of those people who, despite the aggro of many critics and gamers alike, was able to enjoy KZ games I already have a lot of faith in GG's ability to execute on thier vision for this.

One thing I can't get though, is the criticisms of folks that I've seen on the internet about the setting and the robot cyber-fauna. I mean, do these folks just not really have any imagination at all? Did they just never watch cartoons as a kid? I dunno how anyone can see a concept like this and not just see it as flippin cool. Sure it's not realistic, but its a friggin game. Not all games need to be. To be honest, I'm pretty much burned out with the whole FAD of games trying to have too much "gritty realism" or be "grounded in reality". I watched the trailer for the new COD, The Division and that new Ghost recon game and I was bored to tears by it all. I'm definitely all for games going back to the pure fantasy stuff. This is PURE fantasy Sci Fi, and I absolutely love it!!!

London Geezer likes this.
  4. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I imagine the story will be something like this:

The ancient super advanced humans created the cyber-saurs as autonomous military/industrial droids. After a great war which killed off 90% of the humans, the droids just kept on doing their thing, whilst human society kept away from the radio-active city ruins and regressed to nomadic hunter gatherer civilisations once again. In the absence of any means to rebuild human society, humans continued in their very simple, primitive new lifestyles for the next thousand years, simply forgetting their history and advanced knowledge; because in such a harsh new world, survival became more important than trying to preserve human knowledge.

5. chris1515

Legend Regular

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horiz...ont_be_tutorialised_rpg_systems_detailed.html

Somes soul's inspiration?

6. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Yeah!! Skill tree :cool:
    Sold!

7. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

That sounds just perfect.

And I totally agree, this kind of imagination is very much welcome! We have enough realism in reality.

8. szymku

Regular Newcomer

I was thinking that maybe there is some equivalent of "SkyNet" in this game. But insteat of robo-skeletons he is producing dino-robots

9. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

I totally got a Skynet vibe from this game too.

orangpelupa and szymku like this.
  10. TEEDA

Regular

Lol the red hair somwhat made me think of Nariko from Heavenly Sword. If only they could reboot it [​IMG]
    The post apocalyptic world especially the sequence qith the vegetation taking over the city made me think of Enslaved though I did not play the game, just the way it looked.
    I really hope they have planned for some Dragon's Dogma climbing over the huge beasts lol and ride them. Can't wait to see the live coverage today on Guerilla's twitch.
    That shadowfall refined engine for Open World looks amazing.
    I can't wait to see how the A.I works especially to just witness other tribes trying to take down the giant ennemies by themselves.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

For a moment I forgot that the game was from Guerilla and I was thinking it was a Ninja Theory game. It has their vibe in it

12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

hm... but why are the dinobots harvesting.

13. DSoup

DSoup X
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And why does she feel remorse for killing the little one?

14. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

well it seems these humans don´t have knowledge from before the apocalypse. They started from square one, and had always shared their habitat with robo-dinos from day one, so to them the robots are just very particular breed of animals. They percieve them as real living beings. So she acted much like many tribal people do, they hunt for survival, but try to avoid the killing animals for little reason.

orangpelupa likes this.
  15. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

I guess that's their energy source.

Food chain in robot version: herbivore dinosaurs eat vegetables, carnivores robot-dinosaurs eat herbivores...the rust eats the all!

#75 Cjail, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Pixel and TheAlSpark like this.
  16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

GG might have an interesting premise, but explaining it might be uh..................... Rico.

man creates dinobots to replace labour force. then A.I. happens. OOPS. Somehow america can't deal with it, and then........ dinobots continue alongside sparse population of humans.

wat

17. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Man creates robots, AI takes over the worlRICOOOO!!!!!!!!

TheAlSpark likes this.
  18. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

What I really liked in the demo is the non obtrusive UI.

So from what we know currently it's kind of a mix between Far Cry, Monster Hunter and The Witcher? Do want.

19. Delta9

Regular

looks great! but please stop reusing old assets. i just dont get why devs can't post 5-10 dollar jobs to get new effects and art. worth a shot to the community before reusing as could get some good stuff.

#79 Delta9, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  20. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

"Old assets", what do you mean!?