Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

I understand the conjecture but that would be unbelivably lazy and I think any, even a peripheral, connotation with Killzone would be a bad thing.
Actually I did have that passing thought too. They don't even have to specify it. Just keep it open to interpretations without ever mentioning anything about the KZ universe, but keeping some design choices that make us think that this might be the case.

Actually I did have that passing thought too. They don't even have to specify it. Just keep it open to interpretations without ever mentioning anything about the KZ universe, but keeping some design choices that make us think that this might be the case.
I don't think Killzone was anywhere near a popular enough game to associate with (or prop) a fresh IP. I liked KZ2 and KZ:SF (the only two I played) but had I heard GG were producying an RPG set is a dystopian Killzone universe I doubt I'd even check that out. The thing springing to midn would be terrible dialogue and by-the-numbers story.

What was shown though was genuinely exciting - for me anyway. But openworld + RPG = instabuy! :LOL:

I don't think Killzone was anywhere near a popular enough game to associate with (or prop) a fresh IP. I liked KZ2 and KZ:SF (the only two I played) but had I heard an RPG set is a dystopian Killzone universe I doubt I'd even check that out. What was shown though, was genuinely exciting. For me anyway, but openworld + RPG = instabuy! :LOL:
I think the universe itself was very underdeveloped and with a lot more potential than GG was able to suck out of it.

And even if they don't use the same universe, GG did have some pretty good art and designs that they are seemingly basing HZD on and evolving.

That overgrown cityscape on the horizon might as well have been Vekta City, so the Killzone connection seems rather plausible. Rummaging through the remains of a game series's past sounds like a really cool concept. (if it isn't too on the nose that is. I wouldn't wanna find a picture frame with Rico and the other dumb fucks from KZ2 in it)

Nah. This is 100% Earth. The confusion about planet is probably here because they hinted Earth very little, cities were very futuristic and not a single famous landmark of our current civilization was shown. Looks like all those landmarks and our history are probably irrelevant for this game. All is forgotten and gone.

h6dxdrh.jpg

This game has pretty fascinating concept really. Instead of humanity managing to bounce back after an apocalypse, the surviving humans that have lost the old knowledge are confronted with technology that for them looks like pure insane magic. How to find out how technology works when they are not directly interacting with things like simple electricity, magnetism or gas engines, they are dealing on the daily basis with things that are 10000x more complicated and intricate. No chance to devise and replicate the basic running components of such "magical" creatures. According to descriptions, 1000 years after apocalypse, they are not even questioning the presence and existence of robots. For them, robots are part of nature.

But who knows what is really the core story of the game. Maybe there they will dive deeper in the pre-apocalypse history. Narration in the trailer says that "time of balance" is coming to the end [end for humanity?].

Last edited:
Nice preview of the game here
http://nzgamer.com/previews/1244/horizon-zero-dawn-eyes-on.html

about the vast world of Horizon.

To start with, the world is, like so many other games, an open world that’s yours to explore. But it’s the beauty of the world that sets it apart. From the way the flowers move as Aloy (the main character) sneaks through them to the vast, distant, cloud-covered mountains on the horizons, everything has a very natural splendour that just made me want to rip the controller out of senior producer Lambert Wolterbeek Muller’s hands and go exploring.

This is just a very tiny part of the world,” the art director Jan-Bart van Beek explained, as Muller panned the camera across the machine-populated grassland shown in the press conference. “All of this is freely explorable. You can go anywhere, you can go up the mountains, you can follow the rivers, you can explore all the fields. And it’s not just the natural world. There are tribes as well, even cities.”

more details on the gameplay, combat mechanic on the link.

Watching Sony's E3 press conference now.

This has got to be the weirdest game premise I've seen in a while but also one of the most interesting. I would never have thought Guerrilla Games could produce something so un-Killzone-like having been chained to that IP for far too long IMO.

It sort of reminded me of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Post-apocalyptic Age of Foliage with robots left-over, but the animal stuff looked neat.

Will keep an eye on this for the RPG aspect - Enslaved was too linear for me to bother completing, so this might actually be right up my alley for both story & gameplay.

I think GG will give us more weapons instead than more abilities.
I am not sure how melee weapons could work though :-?

mm... yeah. Need something more than just a bow and arrow with different ammunition types. Wonder what they'll come up with though with civilization has gone to poop.

Plus clothing armour variety.

I wouldn't wanna find a picture frame with Rico and the other dumb fucks from KZ2 in it)

As I mentioned to someone the other night - We will find Rico in cryostasis. :yep2:

Looks very impressive, on a personal level I'm really disappointed is not my kind of rpg though. Not really into the skyrim type action rpg game play.

Well probably give it a miss.

Would be amazing if as a mean of transportation you can " hack " or use dinosaurs and ride them. I also would have expected some God Of War QTE moments to finish off the bigger ennemies.
I can't wait to see how explorable is the game world and see the limit of the invisible walls. The heroine makes me think of Enslaved and Nariko from Heavenly Sword. I just hope there will be tons of diverse encounters.
I loved the part when Aloy just rushed and jump on the rocks. The destructible trees, and windy simulation looks nice.

hope the game will also have very good melee combat. Dragon's dogma level of good, let you climb dinos or ride them.

So this seems to have elements of monster hunter and los planet, with big mechs. This might end up atracting the japanese audience as well. The tribal character on a hunt reminded me a lot of AC3 though. This thing has a lot of good games to draw inspiration from, lets hope they get it right!

There must be an elite high tech tribe that did/or still is constructing these.

Or it might be a Terminator story where AI caused the downfall of mankind...but in this case: where are the smart machines??!

Back