Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

Man, I haven't cared about all the gimmicky features TV manufacturers throw around but I do want HDR on my monitors and TVs. It used to be my dream long back. Hope this stuff becomes standard soon and gets cheaper.

I guess if people prefers 4k supersampling on 1080p display, they could simply select the native display res as 1080p on their 4k set?

Who's going to buy a new 1080p TV for HDR when the market is already flooded with new 4K TVs?

A suggestion for those looking into buying a new 4K HDR set; Don't buy one yet unless you absolutely can't wait a few months, HDR is still relatively new and most sets have significant -additional- input lag with HDR on (even expensive OLED ones). Moreover, next Spring we'll get to see new TVs that have advanced technology and will probably be significantly better than what's on the market today, especially for 4K and HDR content. In either case, you could end up buying a TV for the same amount of money that you'll pay today, that is significantly better for the content you want to use it for or you could end up buying the same set you're looking for right now at a significantly reduced price.

Bit late but I've taken another look at the 4K Pro reveal and noticed some things
Oh and the poly count seems high for the long neck, these machines look really impressive.

Any confirmation of a PS4 Neo mode for 1080P 30FPS that is not just downsampled from fake checkerboarded 4K?

If some people (not myself) think it looks good at 4K, it would look even better if all those resources were put into a 1080P mode.

Looks really gorgeous with a lot of scenery movement and excellent animations. 2 things that annoyed me though:
  1. Slides down the rope at the start with her hands..... really? They couldn't just have her grab some leather strap off her belt to slide down a rope or something else more believable?
  2. The whole climbing the mecha-brontosaurus seems to be a UBI-climb-tower-discover-surroundings activity with a mobile tower?

The game doesn't look georgeous to me. In fact, even if I were into stylized games, I would find it boring. Seriously, I'd just wander around the world wondering who thought of the idea of hybrid robot human animals. I also wondered how she could slide down the wire with her bare hands. I've had rope burn before -- it hurts. She either has mutant durability or a fast healing factor. Every time she zips down a line like that, she should lose life points.

This game does bring back memories of Heavenly Sword. That brings up another point: have we been told who is the big bad guy in this story?

My wife made the same comment about the zip line. The big bad is whoever causes the peaceful robots to switch to red light angry mode, and that is what you have to find out in the game so I wouldn't expect this to be spoilt.

Looks really gorgeous with a lot of scenery movement and excellent animations. 2 things that annoyed me though:
  1. Slides down the rope at the start with her hands..... really? They couldn't just have her grab some leather strap off her belt to slide down a rope or something else more believable?
  2. The whole climbing the mecha-brontosaurus seems to be a UBI-climb-tower-discover-surroundings activity with a mobile tower?

The point 1 is now corrected. They did not have the time to include the new animation into the demo.

Hope this game does well and I'd like to see a franchise made off it, the choices of settings for a Horizon game could be endless. On another hand I wanna see a new Killzone game on the Pro, going back to the KZ2 roots with a ton of grittiness and dark atmosphere.

Back