Heavy Rain [PS3]

I recently bought and finished Heavy Rain the GOTY edition ($30 on amazon shipped). Must say it was one of the best 30 bucks I have ever spent. I tried finding out about whether there would be a sequel or not but all I read was they are doing another game that is going to be quite similar to the movie Seven?

making games as awesome as this :D

You gotta be joking, right?

HR is The Room of video games and DC is Tommy Wiseau. It's a degeneration of the highest order, more than any "cinematic" game with dumbed down mechanics.

This is a perfect description.
David Cage reminds me of Dennis Dyack. The success which they achieve is primarily a function of the ignorance of the people they exploit. Dyack has convinced the Canadian business community that Silicon Knights should keep getting propped up by grants because the games industry is now worth billions, but if the people he was approaching had any context about the industry they would realise that while that may be true, his studio is hardly a part of that success.

In much the same way, Cage has convinced gamers with no context of what literature and storytelling are about that he's a master of it, and convinced non-gamers with no context of what games are about that he's a master of game design too. It's pretty sad but it says more about the desperate desire for validation of their hobby as "adult" that so many gamers line up to defend the stream of literary-faeces which he pours into their waiting mouths.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26571826&postcount=367

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta be joking, right?

HR is The Room of video games and DC is Tommy Wiseau. It's a degeneration of the highest order, more than any "cinematic" game with dumbed down mechanics.

This is a perfect description.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26571826&postcount=367

So if somebody likes it, there is something wrong with them? Most people I know enjoyed Heavy Rain, so it wasn't perfect, but there is nobody stopping you from making a perfect game or maybe CoD is your idea of a perfect game?

So if somebody likes it, there is something wrong with them? Most people I know enjoyed Heavy Rain, so it wasn't perfect, but there is nobody stopping you from making a perfect game or maybe CoD is your idea of a perfect game?

Don't bring COD in , dude, COD is the most dumbified FPS out there :LOL: ! So casual, that even toddlers can play it ! No wonder it sells millions !

So, if HR is a case of immature people trying to show how mature they r by purchasing it, then, shall we say, the most popular game COD is a case of kids trying to show "Adult" they r by buying it :D(is that why GTA sells so much?!?) ! They get to be super marines in a game that auto aims everything for them. Don't think, just press L1+R1 and you are the meanest soldier out there !

and if HR is so dumb in its execution, how come people play it till the end? I don't think a game, which relies on no other mechanic(no puzzles, no action), can keep u playing till the end without executing a hooking story !

I haven't completed it , yet, but I am sure interested as hell about what happens next ! Wel,, u can say the story is dumb, as thats possible by the end, but the execution........ if that was dumb, the game would have bombed and sank without a trace !

Heavy Rains problem is overly long beginning that doesn't move plot and makes gamer frustrated. I would guess many people bashing heavy rain never finished or got to the part where things get interesting... I liked heavy rain a Lot, but still first couple of hours were awfully boring.

Heavy Rains problem is overly long beginning that doesn't move plot and makes gamer frustrated. I would guess many people bashing heavy rain never finished or got to the part where things get interesting... I liked heavy rain a Lot, but still first couple of hours were awfully boring.

But there is quite a step from having issues with a game, to say this

In much the same way, Cage has convinced gamers with no context of what literature and storytelling are about that he's a master of it, and convinced non-gamers with no context of what games are about that he's a master of game design too. It's pretty sad but it says more about the desperate desire for validation of their hobby as "adult" that so many gamers line up to defend the stream of literary-faeces which he pours into their waiting mouths.

Basically Heavy Rain is a game that shouldn't be made and that Cage should not make games and people that like his games are wrong.

For all it's flaws Heavy Rain is still one of the most innovative games out there. And it's quite good when it actually achieves what it's trying to do. It also tells much of it's story within gameplay, unlike most games that claim to be cinematic.

I'm always looking forward to what Quantic Dreams does next. Hopefully they can write a better story next time, without plotholes.

Basically Heavy Rain is a game that shouldn't be made and that Cage should not make games and people that like his games are wrong.

After reading the quote I had to take a dump myself. I think it's because my eyes took in so much crap I had to put it somewhere...

Seriously though if some people are so scared of a change in gaming, and the ideology behind the reasons why people engage with it, that they have to resort to base criticism to belittle it, then their opinions are worth nothing. Until that is, they go out and produce the game that is the antithesis of what they are saying is wrong.

It's the same with all critics though. They only downplay the things they aren't capable, brave, or smart enough to make themselves.

For all it's flaws Heavy Rain is still one of the most innovative games out there
What is the innovative concept in Heavy Rain? What kind of innovative feature/mechanic was introduced that wasn't introduced in previous games such as Cage's own Indigo Prophecy? Not to mention countless of other games in the inveractive movie / visual novel subgenres: From the acient Zork series, through the QTEs of Dragon's Lairs and the likes, to more open world games like Shenmue?

What is the innovative concept in Heavy Rain? What kind of innovative feature/mechanic was introduced that wasn't introduced in previous games such as Cage's own Indigo Prophecy? Not to mention countless of other games in the inveractive movie / visual novel subgenres: From the acient Zork series, through the QTEs of Dragon's Lairs and the likes, to more open world games like Shenmue?

You can use the toilets!

With CoD, there is at least a semi-descent game in there, no matter how much the mechanics are dumbed-down.and skill ceiling lowered. Maybe you are thinking tha HR is more "artful" game than CoD? ;) Same goes for some of the pretentious indie games which are mechanically/design-wise inferior (see: Flower, flow, Limbo etc.) A lot of people seem to be trying to elevate those types of games as some kind of artistic ones and shit, while in reality they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. And are trying to divorce the terms "art" and "fun" which comes from the enjoymment, i.e. pleasure of the challenge and design/mechanical complexity of the game, which is hilarious.

http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?p=715368&sid=26c939d81520f4041f2724ed8b1d0e19#715368
The medium seems to have been hijacked by a bunch of failed bards who couldn't cut it in other mediums and so thought a bunch of myopic geeks would be easy to muscle in on.
This is like a bizarre meta game version of the Emperor's New Clothes, where everyone claims how it's a revolutionary new thin that's totally amazing, and people are like no, the dude's just naked, and then they burned for being heretics.

There is nothing "mature" about a a game with a horrendously poorly written story (in a game which is almost nothing but the story), bad characterization and voice acting, facial animation which leads to characters looking like dolls, and the most important thing of all - extremely dumbed-downed interactivity. If you want a really really good plot-heavy game, go play Planescape:Torment. You pretty much won't find better interactive storytelling (which Cage desperately wants to claims its own) in the industry. Or maybe Deus Ex, from a more accessible first person viewpoint, but highly immersive experience you won't find anywhere else.

Look at this intervirew for example, in which Mr. Cage confuses the term MacGuffin with red herring. :LOL: :LOL:

When you're playing as Ethan, you get the choice of killing the drug dealer or sparing his life. I was curious as to why, when you kill the drug dealer, there didn't seem to be a consequence at the end. You get the code, but shouldn't Ethan go to jail?

Well, there is no reason for him to go to jail if the drug dealer is found dead. Nothing leads directly to him.

Doesn't he throw up next to the body?

Yes.

That's not enough to get him in trouble?

... Why?

DC even dares comparing himself to the likes of Hitchcock, Fincher and Kubrick. And finally, Shakespeare .

Seriously though if some people are so scared of a change in gaming, and the ideology behind the reasons why people engage with it, that they have to resort to base criticism to belittle it, then their opinions are worth nothing. Until that is, they go out and produce the game that is the antithesis of what they are saying is wrong.

What change? For something much worse and inferior in almost every way?

HR is "adult" and "mature" while first person shooters are stupid "dudebro" shit. :LOL: no

It's funny seeing Molyneux praising the use of QTEs, which speaks volumes btw. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely did not think HR was a perfect game. I definitely thought that it was a bit boring at first, but I thought it was the game makers' way of getting the player to have time to form a personal connection with the game characters. Whether it spawned hate for th characters or the game or a positive sort of emotional attachment it depends on the user I guess. Once I got past that part though it was great. I definitely enjoyed the QTE by the way. I think the game took itself too much seriously but still I would not go far to call it a crap game. It was very very enjoyable actually.

I do, but only the quaility one. This is big budget trash, getting praised by people with bad taste in games (and movies).

The plot is pretty crappy, but the emotional connection that the gameplay creates makes the game quite enjoyable.

And taste is not like pixel counting, everybody is actually right.

Back