Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

For those having a bit of a run-around trying to get Halo Infinite Campaign loaded on console, here's the dance that worked for me.

Goto My Games and Apps > Manage > Updates > At this point and update for Halo Infinite MP showed up around 3.9 GB

After the MP update is downloaded, highlight Halo Infinite > Menu Button (hamburger) > Manage Game and add-ons > Manage Installations > Select "Campaign" > Select "Save changes".

OK, update. Apparently the "pre-load" in Game Pass only loaded the multiplayer. Bleh. Now I have to download the campaign and I'm getting a whopping 0 MB/s. A whole 258.2 MB downloaded so far. Sooooo, maybe I won't get to play it today afterall. I imagine the servers are getting hammered.

Even though I have Game Pass, I'm feeling like I should have gotten the game on Steam. MS still have a LONG way to go before they have a good or even decent launcher on PC.

Regards,
SB

The campaign is treated as DLC for multiplayer and shares a lot of the same assets, so there's going to be a lot of overlap anyways.

Isn't that the point of a smart delivery mechanism though? Only downloading what you need. That was how it was pitched.

If there is only a a gigabyte or two different between campaign only and campaign and MP, fair enough.

If there is only a a gigabyte or two different between campaign only and campaign and MP, fair enough.

The full install with both is only 48.4 GB. But yeah, the way they structured this is Campaign being DLC for the main title which is the F2P Multiplayer. They could have gone the Crackdown 3 route with separate installations, but then some folks complained about that. I think perhaps Gears 5 handles this slightly better, in being able to opt to install or uninstall a lot of different subsets, however that is using their own control menu of sorts.

I think perhaps Gears 5 handles this slightly better, in being able to opt to install or uninstall a lot of different subsets, however that is using their own control menu of sorts.

This is what appealed about this gen, the indication that on both consoles you could down download the bits your wanted. I don't do MP so definitely don't want to have maps I will never play. I imagine with Infinite it's perhaps a but different as you'd imagine the MP will take place in the same open world as the campaign where the vast majority are shared.

First impressions so far. Combat feels good. Smooth, tight, responsive. Getting headshots with KBM is thus pretty easy.

There's some kind of problem with the engine on PC. Maybe related to streaming. There are times when the framerate will become unstable. Standing still and just waiting for a little generally seems to fix it.

The new AI.

Maybe doesn't need a spoiler tag. But the AI feels like a kid. This kind of makes sense as she's newly created, OTOH, it's obviously a game thing as a created AI can have any maturity of personality you want it to have on creation. However, this does in a way make me feel like this AI is meant to "grow" over time. As she was created to mimic Cortana in order to infiltrate Zeta Halo, I wonder if she's meant to "grow" into becoming Cortana? I like her so far. She's kind of like how I'd imagine a young teenage Cortana would be like, if such a thing existed (which it didn't). Again, if this turns out to be the case, it's an obvious game mechanism to get the player to bond with the new AI after what they previously did to Cortana.

The Forerunner graphics look is much better than Halo 4 and 5. It's not so garishly "neon" (for lack of a better word). It feels more grounded and more in line with some super advanced alien technology. Basically it feels more grown up and less juvenile than how the Forerunner structures looked in Halo 4 and 5.

Thus far, I quite like the graphics and think the game looks superb. Not perfect, but it holds up quite well, IMO. This is mirrored by what I'm hearing from the streamers that I watch. From a tech and "zoomed in looking for flaws" perspective, it might not be all that impressive, however from a playing the game as a gamer perspective, it looks quite good. I heard itmeJP constantly talking about how great the game looks while he was playing it (while I was playing it). That's pretty good considering he thought the footage that was shown before the current generation of consoles was released looked like "dogshit".

Still too early to say that 343 nailed it, but it's giving me a good first impression so far.

Regards,
SB

I'm playing it as if I'm Donkey Kong. Always having something to throw. So much fun.

That combined with the grappling hook makes combat quite a bit more tactical than previous Halo games.

It's too bad the grappling hook has such a long cooldown, it renders advanced maneuvers impossible. I see that there's an upgrade you can get later to reduce the cooldown by 40%, but I think that'll still not be enough to allow for advanced aerial maneuvers, which makes me feel kind of sad.

I can understand why this limitation exists though. If it didn't there would be no way to impose any level of control over where the player could go other than invisible walls. So far, I haven't run into any invisible walls, so that's a good thing.

That said, the grapping hook feels good. And unlike so many games that have attempted to implement a grappling hook, Halo: Infinite doesn't limit what you can grapple unlike all of those previous failed grappling hook implementations in all those games that limited what you could grapple to.

Regards,
SB

That combined with the grappling hook makes combat quite a bit more tactical than previous Halo games.

It's too bad the grappling hook has such a long cooldown, it renders advanced maneuvers impossible. I see that there's an upgrade you can get later to reduce the cooldown by 40%, but I think that'll still not be enough to allow for advanced aerial maneuvers, which makes me feel kind of sad.

I can understand why this limitation exists though. If it didn't there would be no way to impose any level of control over where the player could go other than invisible walls. So far, I haven't run into any invisible walls, so that's a good thing.

That said, the grapping hook feels good. And unlike so many games that have attempted to implement a grappling hook, Halo: Infinite doesn't limit what you can grapple unlike all of those previous failed grappling hook implementations in all those games that limited what you could grapple to.

Regards,
SB
First thing I did was find a couple extra cores and unlock the reduced cooldown upgrade. And it's MUCH better.

I'm LOOOOOVING this game right now... but yea, performance needs work, and those technical issues Alex pointed out will hopefully be addressed in a timely manner.

There's a REALLY solid foundation here with this game.

Had a go of the first level over lunch. Really good fun. The feel of everything, and especially the grapple, is so solid. Looking forward to exploring Zeta Halo.

Any idea why the Cabal boss talks so much? It seems it was simply because he want to fight master chief. But he keeps talking on and on and on and... Nothing.

Btw on series s, this looks worse than halo 5, and the hdr is also borked for pre rendered cutscenes. Anyone got any idea what the hdr slider means? On my lg CX it have no visible change on 0% to 100%

I didn't experience any of the 1-2 secs pauses that digital foundry experienced tho. The whole thing has been smooth sailing in gameplay.

The issues I experienced all limited to cutscenes. Like the weird frame pacing and low frame rate animation, etc.

Really love how smart and interactive the AI are. Although in normal difficulty, it's pretty obvious when 343i deliberately needed the AI if you do battle while keeping track of the enemies on the radar (basically the game tries to not overwhelm you with enemy counts)

Had a really poor 5 minutes on the 2nd level. I missed a jump and my check point ended up being half way along that jump.

The game made up for that when I grappled onto a ledge. I hadn't seen the sniper hiding there but he screamed out "surprise attack" so I turn around and shot him. It gave me the giggles. :D

Anyone can help me make sense halo infinite story?

So... Early on, first time meeting the harbinger... Master chief go into a forerunner architecture via a new hole that was made by the banished machine (that that chief overloaded, thus able to blow the hole).

The new cortana explained that the banished really want to go inside, so there's must be something interesting inside.
But once we got inside... All of the usual aliens are already inside! Including the banished!

How can they already inside?

If they use the other door where we take our exit, then why did they trying to drill a hole using lasers in the first place?
I'm so confused.

What I'm confused is how they can already be inside. As they were trying to make a hole by using the big red lasers and the new cortana told us to disable the laser (but in the end we overloaded it and it make a hole thru the forerunner wall)

Back