Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Looking good! I am excited about the campaign
Didn't care much for the narrative, but the actual footage looked more promising with the larger spaces than the previous material. They ought to have released this pre-E3 like they did a couple for H4, and just done some sort of music video montage for the conference. No need for another linear demonstration. It'd be easy to get a grasp of Team Osiris's scanner thing with a few seconds. The walking, running, and clambering is kind of a given. The healing interaction was pretty much all seen in this video as well as the Warden.

The footage also looks taken from all sorts of builds. Probably should have had more time stamps to be more transparent about WIP. A number of things look pretty bad and obvious (aside from the non-textured tests) - lighting seemed all over the place, bad textures etc., but at least it'd give a better idea of when they captured the material to stifle some of the complaints.

Anyways.

----

-Hidden areas could be great.
-Locke still sounds too robotic/forced. Fillion's a natural.
Looks promising for me too. Some textures are good. The wind farm reminded me of Halo Reach. I think Cortana was there at some point, too.

But what I like the most about the new Halo is the colour. :) The new art style nails it.

On the other hand, I am glad they are taking a new direction, trying to make the game more about co-op, and get rid of the lone hero stuff, just like in Reach --the best Halo, imho.

Dunno how much it will impact the gameplay now that there are two teams, it might be not so fun, and I am glad it's all Spartans now with a similar background, :) though I like the elites. And finally, I enjoyed this video more than the one shown at E3, which was mediocre. Go i343 and Bonnie Ross!! I hope @NRP and some of the critics can enjoy Halo 5, too. We shall see.

tVPjvzg.gif

F3Uozg3.gif

Halo: Fall of Reach - Animated Series is coming with the Limited Edition & Deluxe Editions of Halo 5. Unfortunately it's only the streaming version through the Halo Channel like they done with past movies. I assume they will release it on DVD/Bluray/Digital Copy a few months later.

Wished we knew what was going on with the Steven Spielbeg live action TV series. Last month they said it was still in development, but no more details. It was originally planned for airing on Showtime. Wonder if that has changed?

Tommy McClain

Halo: Fall of Reach - Animated Series is coming with the Limited Edition & Deluxe Editions of Halo 5. Unfortunately it's only the streaming version through the Halo Channel like they done with past movies. I assume they will release it on DVD/Bluray/Digital Copy a few months later.

Wished we knew what was going on with the Steven Spielbeg live action TV series. Last month they said it was still in development, but no more details. It was originally planned for airing on Showtime. Wonder if that has changed?

Tommy McClain
Hopefully Steven Spielberg will stick with Halo and stay committed to it. Thing is, will Microsoft do the same? Anything TV made many people cringe and now Xbox Video is gone. Actually, one of the most interesting TV series was Quantum Break to me, I really liked the little they aired, the girl with the mysterious tone, the setting... But we won't see it happening, trying to integrate console gaming and TV.

Say, if you completed Stage 2 of Quantum Break, the episode 2 of Quantum Break would be aired for you.

I agree, i too feel like the "magic" is lost. It looks good but it doesn't look spectacular, i think Bungie did great with Halo and it's hard to see 343i topping what they did honestly. A major loss for me is Martin O'Donnell, because of him i still remember this reveal like it was yesterday...

Martin O'Donnell is one of the greatest losses. Bungie...well....some key people didn't leave so...

As for the magic thing. Halo 3 was the pinnacle of marketing in Microsoft -which are pretty bad at marketing themselves (they don't sell populism at least, I am looking at you Sony) for the most part, although some of the original Xbox ads were cool-. But every Halo video shown at E3 was made of pretty uninspiring stuff. Halo 2 could do a lot better. Halo 1 was presented in an uncommon fashion for a game of that calibre.

Halo 3 on the other hand was surrounded by a great marketing campaign, the finish the fight logo, the viral campaign of the honeybees and so on and so forth. No previous or subsequent trailer topped that, imho.

Hopefully Steven Spielberg will stick with Halo and stay committed to it. Thing is, will Microsoft do the same? Anything TV made many people cringe and now Xbox Video is gone. Actually, one of the most interesting TV series was Quantum Break to me, I really liked the little they aired, the girl with the mysterious tone, the setting... But we won't see it happening, trying to integrate console gaming and TV.

Say, if you completed Stage 2 of Quantum Break, the episode 2 of Quantum Break would be aired for you.

Xbox Video isn't gone. It will be renamed, but that's it. Also they didn't kill the Quantum Break TV series either. It's still coming. I'm sure we'll get more details at Gamescom.

Tommy McClain

I agree, i too feel like the "magic" is lost.

No Halo superstructure and interstellar objects that could you could discern in the background -> no magic. More seriously there was a sense of enormous scale in the first Halos that I really liked, maybe it's nostalgia though.

I fell like they could totally separate the MP and SP game, release each games separately, and give the Single Player the full treatment it deserves with maybe a whole new team dedicated to it (it's not like Microsoft are short of money), a bit like what Turn 10 do for both Forza franchises, the sim at 60fps and the open world at 30fps.

I would love to see a very detailed open world, with incredibly big scale (even at 30fps but please no dynamic res then, it would break the immersion), set into one whole Halo (that you could completely explore, the aim of the game would be to totally explore the whole Halo, simple), well this is a bold idea but Halo is only the name of the franchise...

Maybe with a few travels to the next interstellar station or planet but they have to be visible from the main Halo, with day / night and dynamic weather stuff. Why not adding XP / skills / crafting elements into the mix that could maybe reinvigorate the Halo gameplay?

Where you could see and reach the Horizon... :yes:

Call me cynical or whatever, but that vidoc does not look like Halo to me at all. The armour and environment design , the colours, the art direction is so so damn different now that it could be some other game all together. Even the Master Chief silhouette is so changed that its hardly recognisable. IMO, they went too far already.

I can only repeat myself... we've had 3 +2 Halo games and four of them are available on X1, everyone can get as much of that as they want. And people always complain when a long running franchise gets stuck in repeating itself forever...

Also, I still like the new approach to the armor design. The old Chief looked very much like a robot and the suit was restrictive and cumbersome. Now you can clearly see that there's a human being inside, adding some vulnerability; and there's a lot of space around the joints for the Spartan to move. Oh and even Bungie has made very similar changes to the armor in Reach, apparently they were thinking about the same things.
Sure, there's a definite Japanese touch in most of the variations, but why shouldn't it reflect a united humanity's cultural and practical heritage? And the Chief himself is still pretty bulky, there really is a lot of tank in the design. And the new helmet is just so cool, seeing the old one always throws me off a little now.

No Halo superstructure and interstellar objects that could you could discern in the background -> no magic. More seriously there was a sense of enormous scale in the first Halos that I really liked, maybe it's nostalgia though.

Halos have been kinda done to death as well by now... It's like, hey, there's another one, now what's next?

Also, the first trailer suggested some cool stuff already, that IMHO should not be spoiled any more in advance; and the Guardians are some truly enormous things and I expect 343 to make some good use of them in the gameplay and levels as well...

Just watched it....Cortana? Hmmmm.
It could be in his head, but yea I think we did see her.
That's great news. Cortana is back.

This gives me hope -also, read @Laa-Yosh incredible posts- that we will see Master Chief's face once and for all in Halo 5. The Blue Team and Locke team show their face.

And The Blue Team has a similar background compared to the Master Chief. Halo 5 potentially has the best story in the entire Halo series, along with Halo 2.

Now please show us the face of the Master Chief the moment he reunites with his love, Cortana, which is transformed into a human and she loves the Master Chief too. Best love story in a videogame if they can make it work. :)

When the Master Chief sees Cortana again he removes the helmet, we see his face and Master Chief eyes get lachrymose. A teardrop falls on the sand...

Looks ok. The lighting could use some updating (to PBR) and for whatever reason I really hate those purple explosions. I mean I get its plasma but it just makes everything look so cheap in what would otherwise be a fairly decent presentation.

Now please show us the face of the Master Chief the moment he reunites with his love, Cortana, which is transformed into a human and she loves the Master Chief too. Best love story in a videogame if they can make it work. :)

When the Master Chief sees Cortana again he removes the helmet, we see his face and Master Chief eyes get lachrymose. A teardrop falls on the sand...

This is some hardcore fanfiction :D

If they are using a forward renderer, ideally it should be forward+.

I'm not too sure about that given the CPU overhead of a second geometry pass. Clustered (Deferred or Forward+) might be better for them.

Purely conjecture, but I wonder if the 720p in the MP beta was partially due to a G-buffer, and now that they have a dynamic solution, they're spilling over into VRAM with wild results. MSAA clearly isn't going to happen for them, unlike Forza Horizon 2, so CF+ may not be as beneficial to them, while CD would allow for easier handling of shadows (IIRC).

And they can still use Forward+ for certain other materials ala Ryse (Buck's dreamy hair and eyes?).

I'm not too sure about that given the CPU overhead of a second geometry pass. Clustered (Deferred or Forward+) might be better for them.

Purely conjecture, but I wonder if the 720p in the MP beta was partially due to a G-buffer, and now that they have a dynamic solution, they're spilling over into VRAM with wild results. MSAA clearly isn't going to happen for them, unlike Forza Horizon 2, so CF+ may not be as beneficial to them, while CD would allow for easier handling of shadows (IIRC).

And they can still use Forward+ for certain other materials ala Ryse (Buck's dreamy hair and eyes?).
I've been under the assumption that Forward+ is naturally tiled, each tile (or cluster?) you run a compute shader to see which lights will affect that tile or something (cluster?) and run your forward rendering as usual per tile. The second geometry pass is for the depth culling that way light isn't bleeding everywhere, but IIRC there are ways around this (FH2 did something different to avoid this depth pass, however IIRC it came with compromises).

I don't think the G-buffer on a F+ will be that large even at 1080p. If F6 is F+, then it should be hit with similar penalties, though the number of lights and the geometry of the environment is significantly less.

Rationally, and this is imo, if we look at H4 for instance, 343i came together and produced a very graphically demanding xbox 360 game as their first title. One that likely will go down as best looking 360 game, in a new studio, with new people working together etc.
I assume that talent hasn't left 343i, so certain things from a process perspective must have been laid out. They've been working on H5 since H4, and in their internal group meetings they did specifically indicate that their goals were to bring graphics to '11' - one can only assume they will put an equivalent effort in H5 as they did with H4 - perhaps even more effort. As a team coming together this should be a stronger product than H4; equally this is a more ambitious product, H4 was corridor like, while H5 is large open space.

They should have more resources and support than any other first party team on MS (I assume), and possibly involved in some of the hardware choices made by the xbox team. Overall, removing the technical talk out of it, I think they should be benchmarking a much better product than their first attempt.

While it's possible that H6 might be the true looker for 343i this gen, I also don't believe they'll release H5 without being competitive graphically.

edit: here's an interesting thought - perhaps H5 MP was running 720p because they had not yet decided how they wanted to optimize their F+ renderer, so perhaps it is running the depth pass and doing geometry twice that way everything looks right for the MP demo and the E3 demo.

I'm unsure of how much that impact is, but geometry is handled by the vertex shaders? (i think lol, this isn't my forte) I don't know where the VS group sits, I assume the ROPs. edit: lol wrong. Not the ROPS.

Last edited:
I've been under the assumption that Forward+ is naturally tiled, each tile (or cluster?) you run a compute shader to see which lights will affect that tile or something (cluster?) and run your forward rendering as usual per tile. The second geometry pass is for the depth culling that way light isn't bleeding everywhere, but IIRC there are ways around this (FH2 did something different to avoid this depth pass, however IIRC it came with compromises).

Forward+ is a screenspace tiling, yes. Clustered computes depth slices so you don't have to do a depth pre-pass (which is what FH2 does). http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021764/Advanced-Visual-Effects-With-DirectX

Just Cause 3 is also clustered, but they're using it in conjunction with deferred shading rather than Forward+ (assuming nothing has changed since). http://www.humus.name/Articles/PracticalClusteredShading.pdf

edit: here's an interesting thought - perhaps H5 MP was running 720p because they had not yet decided how they wanted to optimize their F+ renderer, so perhaps it is running the depth pass and doing geometry twice that way everything looks right for the MP demo and the E3 demo.

I'm unsure of how much that impact is, but geometry is handled by the vertex shaders? (i think lol, this isn't my forte) I don't know where the VS group sits, I assume the ROPs. edit: lol wrong. Not the ROPS.

hm...Yeah, I did find it neat they do have more lights (& shadow-casting here and there) around the beta map (Truth). There are also a few scenes in the SP footage with shadow casting from static environment lights. Halo 4 had some once in a while, like... between doors.

So, the depth pre-pass just gives the (Forward+) renderer the info it needs to do the light indexing/culling in 2D space. The overhead is in the draw submission (CPU) for the depth pass, and that happens again for the scene rendering, hence 2x.

Deferred by nature just does it all in one go with the G-buffer. :)

From what I gather, clustered does incur huge RAM requirements, which they try to address in the GDC presentation, falling back on cheaper trickers for far distance.

Last edited:
Forward+ is a screenspace tiling, yes. Clustered computes depth slices so you don't have to do a depth pre-pass (which is what FH2 does). http://www.slideshare.net/mistercteam/advancements-intiledrendering

Just Cause 3 is also clustered, but they're using it in conjunction with deferred shading rather than Forward+ (assuming nothing has changed since). http://www.humus.name/Articles/PracticalClusteredShading.pdf

hm...Yeah, I did find it neat they do have more lights (& shadow-casting here and there) around the beta map (Truth). There are also a few scenes in the SP footage with shadow casting from static environment lights. Halo 4 had some once in a while, like... between doors.

So, the depth pre-pass just gives the (Forward+) renderer the info it needs to do the light indexing/culling in 2D space. The overhead is in the draw submission (CPU) for the depth pass, and that happens again for the scene rendering, hence 2x.
Hmmm, so by nature you're taking a hit on cpu time (twice), which would impact the frame rate for complex scenes, but it shouldn't be hitting the resolution, unless resolution and culling was tied together somehow on the CPU side of things. There must be a ding on the GPU side of things too though right? Consoles should have no issue with the number of draw calls due to the way the APIs are, but double is double.
Deferred by nature just does it all in one go with the G-buffer. :)

From what I gather, clustered does incur huge RAM requirements, which they try to address in the GDC presentation, falling back on cheaper trickers for far distance.
lol I just realized you linked a slide deck from MrX lol. ah well, at least it's legit. You mentioned that the depth pre-pass gives the renderer the info it needs to do light indexing/culling in 2D space, is that a reason why we see artifacts of light spewing through objects in some of these Halo shots? (as in the pre-pass wasn't accurate enough?)

lol I just realized you linked a slide deck from MrX lol. ah well, at least it's legit.

XD I didn't even notice. Guess it was higher up the Google search chain or something. :p Fixed.

GDCVault link here http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021764/Advanced-Visual-Effects-With-DirectX ahem.

You mentioned that the depth pre-pass gives the renderer the info it needs to do light indexing/culling in 2D space, is that a reason why we see artifacts of light spewing through objects in some of these Halo shots? (as in the pre-pass wasn't accurate enough?)
hm... I was thinking the problem was due to a (cheap) reconstruction of the view space normal from two components (implying a G-buffer of sorts), and naturally you miss out on the negatives (best guess for the moment). Or.... the self-shadowing got borked, but then you'd see the light bleeding through all of the Spartan (or something horrific).

Dunno.

Just for reference:
http://i.imgur.com/dMWrRsJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0k5XRIi.jpg

-----

On the other hand, the not-so-dense meshes in the environment might point to a tiled forward solution (more vertex shading as you mentioned).

Then again, the characters have pretty good poly counts.

:V

Oh well, too much speculation from me with nothing concrete. :runaway: :rolleyes: /bored evening

Last edited:
Back