Halo 4

Though this looks really good:
PlGGP.jpg

I am probably in the minority here, :cry: , But I kind of... prefer the "old" Halo4 style/engine:

halo-4-001.jpg

2820788-gallery.jpg

Much better lighting and shader effects.
Is there a chance that they'll revert to the previous shown Halo4 engine or style before release?

It's the same engine, just different lighting conditions. Seriously, this kind of nitpicking is getting a bit too far.

It's the same engine, just different lighting conditions. Seriously, this kind of nitpicking is getting a bit too far.

Well then, let's just say that I prefer the old "lighting conditions" (ie excellent DOF, amazing metal-like shaders and what appears to be AO on the chiefs fingers and at the back thing on his arm).
Of course the current alpha footage is not representative of the end product, so there is still hope the current "lighting conditions" are not final :smile:

Well then, let's just say that I prefer the old "lighting conditions" (ie excellent DOF, amazing metal-like shaders and what appears to be AO on the chiefs fingers and at the back thing on his arm).

There is no AO, the DOF is useless and disturbing in gameplay, expect to see it only in ingame cinematics, and the shaders are probably as metallic but don't work that well with the yellow color.

Of course the current alpha footage is not representative of the end product, so there is still hope the current "lighting conditions" are not final :smile:

What I hope for is less trolling.

There is no AO, the DOF is useless and disturbing in gameplay, expect to see it only in ingame cinematics, and the shaders are probably as metallic but don't work that well with the yellow color.

What I hope for is less trolling.

Call it what you want, I simply prefer the older lighting conditions, that's all.
The screenshots show a higher dynamic range than all realtime footage released up until now. Is that also because of lighting conditions? Or is there a possibility that the final game will have it as well?

Anyway I am looking forward to playing this amazing game!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how much of the material system has been revised, or what's going on with the lighting, compared to Halo 3 - but even in that game we've seen a huge difference between the looks of the same assets depending on the level.
The Chief himself was a good example, just look through all the cinematics here to see how varied the looks of the armor were depending on the lighting conditions. And that armor had like 3 separately calculated specular layers, just search for the presentation on the GDC website.

So even if a lot of the subsystems were replaced, this is still built on the Halo 3 engine and it makes perfect sense that the same material can look different depending on the environment. And again, a bright yellow armor is not the best possible subject for an analysis...

These are all bullshots of course, but that should only affect texture sharpness and such, the shading's general results won't get different with oversampling, only more refined and - obviously - less aliased.

Guys, antwan doesn't understand "different conditions." Lower your vocabulary/technical expectations.

@ antwan: Same game, same engine. Just like taking a piece of crystal dishware from a dark room to a brightly lit room and then outside the "different conditions" will make the crystal dishware appear differently. Games, unsurprisingly, are the same. In dark missions things are darker and harder to see with fewer / less obvious lighting effects. In the bright day light things get washed out and glossy surfaces shine. Amazing, but all true!

Here is a video from a couple months ago that displayed many different lighting conditions, including some similar to those earlier pictures you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aapBZBZNkp0

It has nothing to do with greater range, just different positions of where the light source is coming from.

At around 1:48 the lighting is really nice!
I meant with greater dynamic range that at 1:38 it appears as if the image is black crushed, while in all the 'screenshots' this is never the case and there is a lot of detail in the 'dark' areas instead of just black.
But if the screenshots only differ in AA, resolution and texture filtering as somebody else explained (sorry forgot who it was), then the final game is sure to have the higher dynamic range instead of what is shown in the footage :)

Back