Are you ready for your nextgen console setup? [2020-11]

Some progress made, the older legacy stuff placed in a box, that will be slid out of the way until I can come up with something better.

20201108_180501.jpg

Original Xbox, Fat X360, PSX, HD-DVD X360, Dreamcast, way too many controllers, and a spare Kinect 360. No idea how I got that spare.

Some progress made, the older legacy stuff placed in a box, that will be slid out of the way until I can come up with something better.

View attachment 4895

Original Xbox, Fat X360, PSX, HD-DVD X360, Dreamcast, way too many controllers, and a spare Kinect 360. No idea how I got that spare.

Plug that spare to PC, should be pretty nice for full body tracking on VR hahaha. Try best Saber with feet! Or doing weird dance in VR chat.

Anyway,

I'm the opposite. I just unboxed my PS4 pro, tried updating destiny 2, and got bombarded with tons of update notice, and complaining not enough space despite still having almost 100 GB free space....

Now I remember why I decided to move to PC... PS4 pro is too much hassle. Not plug and play, unlike pc that's basically plug and play nowadays.

I'm the opposite. I just unboxed my PS4 pro, tried updating destiny 2, and got bombarded with tons of update notice, and complaining not enough space despite still having almost 100 GB free space....

When you run low on disk space it's becomes disproportionately worse in terms of updates. You really need to manually limit the updates to one game at a time. It's a bit stupid the PS4 doesn't seem aware of how little disc space it has (and has not) available.

Yep, ready. i dont have to do much. I keep on purpose a very spacious entertainment center, despise anything closed in or cluttered. I have a three shelf one with each shelf set back from the one below. Once I got a different kind I hated it so I had to go back to one of these and seek one out. Not this but, like it

5707060_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

The advantage is it's so easy to fiddle with the contents of each shelf as they arent obstructed too much from above, they are basically open air. Like I said once I became used to this type of design it's a must. I suppose probably not the best for hiding cables though.

I do have a decent amount on their with router, soundbar etc, but I mainly only keep one console there. Although I recently drug out the 360 to check out the old graphics.

I sold my Xbox One X on FB for $200 a few days ago. So I'm good n ready waiting the series x scheduled for tomorrow! Come on fedex dont screw me!

As for disk space the internal will be ok, definitely not forking over 220 for the expander anytime soon. I have a 1 TB hybrid and ~500 GB SSD that I was using external on the One X. Decided I hate using two external drives though so it will be one. Probably the hybrid.

Long term I'm torn between a 1TB ssd and a ~4TB HDD for a future purchase for cold storage. Really cannot decide. I might wait until 2TB SSD are ~$100, I'd be happy with that.

I kind of hating on my entertainment stand shelves* because my body is so damn sore from all the cleaning and having to fish out all the wires from the devices removed and fishing through new wires. I haven't decided on how or where to setup the Series X. Because of that indecision, I haven't connected or situated the other devices yet. I'm probably overthinking the layouts.

Do I go natural with Series X standing, if so on which side because it won't fit inside the shelves. Then I need a nice little wood platform cause I don't want it on the carpet.

If I go with Series X laying down, do I place it on the shelf underneath the AVR? Or on the same shelf to the right?

* This isn't the one I have, but it's closest I could find to it. It has two glass shelves for the bottom and center levels and then a heavier and thicker material across for the top shelf -- https://bello.com/products/cowles-tv-stand-tc56-7101-c248/

Is your TV wall mounted? I had to quarantine the last 2 weeks & never got to mount my floating shelves on either side of my TV in the living room. Hopefully Saturday. TV stands & entertainment centers are over-rated & so last decade. LOL

Still waiting on FedEx. :devilish:

Tommy McClain

Is your TV wall mounted? I had to quarantine the last 2 weeks & never got to mount my floating shelves on either side of my TV in the living room. Hopefully Saturday. TV stands & entertainment centers are over-rated & so last decade. LOL

Still waiting on FedEx. :devilish:

No. The Plasma TV pretty much takes up the entire top shelf. I want to get a wall mount setup, but never had the time to retrofit this setup. My father and I have done 3 wall-mount setups using this Perlesmith Mount - https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Bracket-Articulating-600×400-Rotation/dp/B01JROZ0B8 , for my Sister's main tv and game room and my parent's setup.

I've looked at some floating shelves but hadn't done so extensively, are there any with room between the back and the wall or that have a wire-guide hole? Or how do you run the wires, just along the wall and out to the right or left?

Still waiting on FedEx as well. It says on vehicle for delivery, but that could still mean not until 8pm. That's why I didn't take today off. The last few times they always had the latest delivery times. :neutral:

No. The Plasma TV pretty much takes up the entire top shelf. I want to get a wall mount setup, but never had the time to retrofit this setup. My father and I have done 3 wall-mount setups using this Perlesmith Mount - https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Bracket-Articulating-600×400-Rotation/dp/B01JROZ0B8 , for my Sister's main tv and game room and my parent's setup.

I've looked at some floating shelves but hadn't done so extensively, are there any with room between the back and the wall or that have a wire-guide hole? Or how do you run the wires, just along the wall and out to the right or left?

Still waiting on FedEx as well. It says on vehicle for delivery, but that could still mean not until 8pm. That's why I didn't take today off. The last few times they always had the latest delivery times. :neutral:

My Amazon wall mount has the same part #(PSLFK1), but looks slightly different. Bought 2 for my living room & bedroom for each 55" TV.

Actually, mine isn't really floating. I bought four handmade iron wall brackets from Etsy. I got two 12" deep by 24" wide barn wood planks. They won't fasten to the brackets. The weight of the Xbox & gravity will keep them in place. There is about a half-inch gap in the back for cables to hide or pass-thru. Haven't exactly worked out the rest of the cable management, but I will take pics of my progress. When it's done I won't have any TV stand below my TV. Hope to get cable modem mounted behind the TV with the wall-mounted Philips Hue bridge. Should just see the TV, soundbar & 2 shelves.

Tommy McClain

My Amazon wall mount has the same part #(PSLFK1), but looks slightly different. Bought 2 for my living room & bedroom for each 55" TV.

The first one we bought looked different from the last 2. The difference was in the part that mounts to the back of the TV. One aspect I remember was the old one didn't have the safety locking latches on the two verticle poles.

Remember to update your Static DHCP mapping tables with the MAC of your new console(s). Also be sure to update any Firewall / UPnPd rules for the new console(s) too. If you forgot to do so, this could cut down on potential multiplayer chat or gaming issues.

On the Series X, if you use the Badwidth Usage info area and want to match your ISP billing cycles then remember to set the "Reset period on this day" field.

Anyone else keep or still have most of their original boxes? I'm spending so much of today with cleaning the rest of the area before I begin to sink in dozens of hours gaming.

Nah, the moment I have a b/c solution for older hardware, the whole package gets donated to a hospital or charity.

Nah, the moment I have a b/c solution for older hardware, the whole package gets donated to a hospital or charity.

That is awesome!

Most of my hardware was or is in the hands of niece/nephew but for some reason I felt compelled at the time to keep the retail box. I've already run out of space in my weekly recycle bin, so tearing down of those will be pushed to next week.

At first I had the SeriesX laying down on the shelf to the right of the AVR, but I didn't really like it there. I moved the TV forward a little bit to have enough room to stand the Series X behind the TV on the side. I like that setup better.

Here's some quick ugly pics, don't mind the unfinished setup of the lesser consoles below or the horrible wood panel grain --

game center.png

behind the plasma.png

That is awesome!

Most of my hardware was or is in the hands of niece/nephew but for some reason I felt compelled at the time to keep the retail box. I've already run out of space in my weekly recycle bin, so tearing down of those will be pushed to next week.

Same here, my kids got my older consoles.

1605231783217404-0.png

New consoles, meet your grandfathers.

In this pic, you can see my Dreamcast hooked up the bottom shelf of my desk, to the left of it is my Wii U. Dreamcast is kept for great games and the Wii U was the place where it is the best device for Nintendo legacy consoles.

My other BC/emulation needs are handled on this.

2020-08-01-17-56-03_AATSC.jpg

I did get rid of the futon and got these chairs in place of them. I'm sitting on one of them now.

1599168072902843-0.png

Anyone else keep or still have most of their original boxes? I'm spending so much of today with cleaning the rest of the area before I begin to sink in dozens of hours gaming.

View attachment 4910

I have my PS2, PS3, PS4, VITA, PS5, 360, Wii, Switch, and DS boxes, I'll have the Xbox X box early next week. I had the GC and OG Xbox box until about 4 years ago.

View attachment 4895

No PS2 and no Saturn?
You suck ass

No PS2 and no Saturn?

Best friend had a PS2 and his younger brother had the Sega CD and Saturn, so we gamed at his place for those titles if desired. Girlfriend had all the Nintendo lineups, NES, SNES, N64 so she could get her fix of Mario.

We mostly gamed on PC. I picked up original Xbox to game with entire coworker teams who didn't have gaming PCs or were heavily into Halo. I kept up with PC gaming side until a little before Nvidia 20x0 GTX release.

Back