Are you ready for your nextgen console setup? [2020-11]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Are you ready for your next-gen console setup?

I am no where near ready. I dont have the area cleared. I don't even know how I plan to set things up. I'm not sure if I'm willing to retire some systems. I also need to change how my UPSes are setup too.

I think I want to streamline my setup down to just 2 consoles and one streaming device. Here's the stuff I need to sort through:
  1. Playstation 1
  2. Sega Dreamcast
  3. Xbox 360 with Kinect360
  4. Xbox One Launch Edition (dead because of harddrive)
  5. Xbox One X with Kinect
  6. Playstation 4 Pro
  7. WinOS HTPC in AVR styled case
  8. Roku Ultra
  9. Google Chromecast with GoogleTV
  10. Denon AVR
I should clean and store the PSX, Dreamcast, and HTPC.

I need to setup the CCGTV with wired ethernet and extended HDMI cable and move the Roku elsewhere.

I should repair the Xbox One launch so I can use it as a trade-in paired with the 4Pro towards PS5 when they're more readily available.

I want to finish the Kinect games on the X360 and OneX, but thats going to take some dedication as most of the time I want to relax and do mindless gaming. Maybe then I could use the OneX on trade-in too. I could then take those spycams with privacy-shields down too.

Yes, I am ready. There is ample physical space for the new console and almost all of my games are now on an external SSD ready just to be plugged into the new console. The existing cable is HDMI ultra-speed (supporting 2.1) and my second controller is coming before the console so will be fully charged. I should be up and running within ten minutes. :yes:

I bought a new AV cabinet a few months back and it's big enough to comfortably hold all my consoles and devices and has plenty of drawer space

I need to do the game transfer from external HDD to SSD and also from old SSD to new SSD.

Oh, I think I may have a Sega Genesis system in there too. The worst part about having all those systems is just how many controllers I have for each one. It must be at least 4 for each one. No idea how I got so many. And of course none of the controllers stack nicely. :neutral:

It was so much easier when I got the midgen systems as I had room. Now something has got to go.

Samsung 870 QVO. Saved that $70 for something else. :cool:

Common sense won out.
Haha. I know the SSD is not going to be used to anywhere near its potential for older games but I just couldn't attach a noisy spinning-platter drive to a modern console. :nope:

I have space for one next-gen console. I will retire the OneS to the guest room and keep it as a streaming device when I do pick up a next gen console.

I have space for one next-gen console. I will retire the OneS to the guest room and keep it as a streaming device when I do pick up a next gen console.
What are you learning toward? Light, or dark?

I have no space :( Certainly not enough for 2
I, very reluctantly, cancelled my Series X order this morning. I had overlooked agreeing to get a couple of HomePod Mini speakers which added pressure to pre-Christmas budgets. I do at least now have a decent HDMI switcher though which I can consolidated the HDMI inputs from the Switch and MacMini running Kodi leaving an open slot for Series X which I'll order early next year.

Unlike six months ago, physical space is the least of my problems! :D

Probably Xbox first since I have all my digital library on that platform. PS5 Short would be great with PS+ though for all the games I missed this past generation.

I meant which Xbox, i.e. light or dark. PS5 is both!

I, very reluctantly, cancelled my Series X order this morning. I had overlooked agreeing to get a couple of HomePod Mini speakers which added pressure to pre-Christmas budgets. I do at least now have a decent HDMI switcher though which I can consolidated the HDMI inputs from the Switch and MacMini running Kodi leaving an open slot for Series X which I'll order early next year.

Unlike six months ago, physical space is the least of my problems! :D

I meant which Xbox, i.e. light or dark. PS5 is both!
I have also been considering cancelling one of them. But I can’t since they’ll take my deposit.
But even then; Xbox is the best value gaming for the number of hours I have available, but at the same time I don’t want to go another generation without a PlayStation.

So I’m burning $$$

I own:

Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Xbox
GameCube
XOne

I only keep the XOne w/Kinect setup. I'll move it upstairs to my son's room so he can play Avengers while I play on Series X downstairs.

I've learned something about myself: Although I have really fond memories of those earlier gaming experiences, I'm not really a retro gamer. I'm too much of a graphics whore.

The window is closing fast for me to finish some of these XOne games before I get sucked in to all these shiny new bobbles coming our way. :)

Ha, I forgot I have an Original Xbox with Duke controllers setup as well. That things a beast. Well until this generation.

I tried using some of those earlier controllers again today and they simply suck compared to the Elite. Having to flip discs sucks too.

At least I gave away my Atari 2600, 130XEs 8Bit, C64, Atari 1040 STes about a decade ago. The carts for the 2600 and disks for the others took up way too much space. I also had a mini Mame cabinet setup too, trackball and dual tank tread sticks too.

Yeah, I was a bit of a collector...

My plan is to buy a Sony XH9005 and a https://thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/ to keep my old receiver.

Do let us know how it works out.

I have to say its an extremely sad state of affairs when technology solutions like the Sharc are required. Standards never turn out the way they should. Even with some quick reading through reddit posts, its an utter cluster-muck how eARC/ARC is.

I have a feeling I'll be using this same solution when I upgrade the gaming TV to HDMI 2.1 4K HDR while the AVR remains HDMI 2.0.

I have also been considering cancelling one of them. But I can’t since they’ll take my deposit. But even then; Xbox is the best value gaming for the number of hours I have available, but at the same time I don’t want to go another generation without a PlayStation. So I’m burning $$$
Deposits suck. :yep2:

I absolutely do want a Series X because I've missed a fair few Xbox exclusives since my Xbox-owning neighbour selfishly moved away, but if I'm honest two nextgen consoles within a week for a fairly casual gamer is extravagant. My biggest rationale for pre-ordering a Series X for day one was always about having a great Cyberpunk experience, and by great I mean a good experience on a pick-up-put-down console at 60fps. Not the find-the-wireless-keyboard, resume the PC from sleep, oh-shit there's a Windows update, oh-shit there's a Steam update, oh-shit also a bunch of game updates that didn't trigger because Steam was not updated. That's mostly my PC experience. because I use it infrequently :cry:

Series X looked to be a much safer bet than PS5 because of Microsoft's long-standing commitment to backwards compatibility and demonstrable performance leaps. I've been torn over which platform to buy Cyberpunk on for months but the recent revelation that PS5 actually plays PS4 games astoundably well gives me tremendous hope that even a mildly-tweaked PS4 Pro version of Cyberpunk running on PS5 will be a solid experience and that largely swung the decision.

When I reluctantly hit that Amazon cancel order button yesterday I immediately thought that somebody in the UK is about to have a really fucking great Saturday because there will have been somebody who desperately wanted a Series X but unable to get one but now can. Sorry dude I didn't give you more notice but I really hope you enjoy your Series X! You're welcome! :yes:

That said, my HDMI splitter is now arbitrating inputs between Switch and MacMini Kodi (4K/60hz being fine) so my setup now has space and is cable ready for a Series X to slot right in. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been cleaning most of the day and found out a few things that I am hating on, and its all entirely my own fault. :oops:

I have 3 or 4 power cables that I have no idea what they go to... Two of them look like normal PC Power Supply plugs, but the others are:

This exact cord - E42955 NISPT-2 https://www.amazon.com/2-Prong-Figure-8-Polarized-Power-KS-15w/dp/B00DY9CODU
This cord - E52826 NISPT-2 https://www.amazon.com/Prong-Power-Replacement-Cable-Samsung/dp/B087CFG8XQ

Maybe they're for the Xbox One original launch edition power bricks, that I haven't gotten to cleaning up that section yet?

Back