Half-Life 2 bundled with R360?

Anyone know how big HL2 will be? I've only got 512K broadband (like most here in the UK), If it;s the same size as say UT2003 I could walk 10 miles to the shops, buy the game, walk back and be half way through it before it would be downloaded.

Also the way I see it working is if you subscribe to steam then you can only play the games while you are still subscribed, and to make things even worse there is a thread in the 'Games' forum that sugests once you have played MP (requires Steam) you will require an Internet connection to even play single player!

As for the other content I can't say I'd be interested in anything enough to subscribe, HL2 and maybe CS2, but that would far from convince me to pay $9 a month. Especially if they are unusable once you have cancelled your subscription.

It's all pants!

Yeah, thats weird for me too. $9 per month? What for, actually? Even the full version - if I understood correctly - gives you singel+multi+mods options. So? Why should I pay nine bucks? Just for the option to keep all my buddies on one list and get the updates automitically instead of manual update?
If that's not the reality but actually HL2 online gonna be a SUBSCRIPTION based online version of the single player game, if ONLY the subscrition gives you the chance of online playing and updating at all - then this whole Steam will go down within months.
No way to charge those zillions of CS players for playing. That would generate two things: everybody will start using some prated/cracked versions and/or they'll change to some free mod. Either way, subscription-based online gaming would be a very stupid idea from Valve, they'd shoot themselves... its gonna be VERY stupid move, IMHO.

[quote="Bouncing Zabaglione BrosI would guess that buying the one-off SP/MP version via Steam will cost a little less than a store boxed version, and that the subscription Steam model will cost you the equivalent over X number of months.

Have you any thoughts on how Valve might close this loophole in the Steam subscription model? Bear in mind, that that there is no way that any solution will end up with Valve making less money from the deal.[/quote]

Yes, I have a fairly good idea on how they will do this. The same way to do everything else in MP HL/CS. During game startup the game sends a signature to a Valve owned server which authenticates the game.

A week or two ago when there were some network issues I saw a non-autherised error message from CS 1.6 via Steam.

T2k said:
Yeah, thats weird for me too. $9 per month? What for, actually?

For all of their content that you would otherwise have to pay for at retail, or some content that might not be offered at retail.

Even the full version - if I understood correctly - gives you singel+multi+mods options. So? Why should I pay nine bucks?

There will be other content besides HL2, it's mods, and expansion packs.

If that's not the reality but actually HL2 online gonna be a SUBSCRIPTION based online version of the single player game, if ONLY the subscrition gives you the chance of online playing and updating at all - then this whole Steam will go down within months.

That is NOT the reality, so you don't have to worry about it.

Think of it this way: do you know what NetFlix is?

You pay something like $20/month, and you get to "rent" as many DVDs as you want. You order something like 3 DVD, you keep each one individually however long you want, and you get to pick a new DVD each time you turn in one of yours. You always have 3 DVD's "rented" at any given time.

Now, this is a dumb idea for someonw who would "own" a DVD: that is "rent" The Matrix, and then keep it forever while paying $20/month.

However, for someone who doesn't care to "own" the movie, jsut wants to watch it once or twice, and move on to the next one....it can be a great deal.

The issue here, is CONTENT. There are a million DVDs out there. So the NetFlix model works nicely. Now, the steam model is slightly different, but I hope you see the relationship here.

We know that there is a market for game rentals.

What we don't know, is how much "content" will be available from Valve via steam. If there's lots and lots of content, subscription could be worth it.

So that's the big question mark. How much content will Valve offer?

Back