Half-Life 2 confirmed for PS3/360 - Episode 2 to ship simultaneously with PC version

HappyBread said:
Turned out true afterall:

psmfront17nq8xp6ey.jpg

Hopefully the game supports mouse & keyboard like the first Half Life on PlayStation.

So what else in that PSM magazine was said about the future PS3 games?

Acert93 said:
Telling people to shut up about wanting better controls is akin to to saying, "Shut up! The poor texturing is fine!" Maybe for you, but why is your opinion more important than that of other consumers?
Maybe it has something to do with Microsoft's stance on 360 game controls. It's like that on the 360 so it must be the correct solution. Something like that.

zeckensack said:
Maybe it has something to do with Microsoft's stance on 360 game controls. It's like that on the 360 so it must be the correct solution. Something like that.

Take off the tinfoil hat for a second.

Acert93 said:
HL2 is a PC port which is already balanced for KB/MS. Not to mention basic KB/MS is easy to configure and let users auto-tune in settings.
I was talking in general, not about HL2. Obviously HL2 would be a good canidate for kb/mouse.

I doubt the Xbox port of HL2 plays like it was intened since it wasn't developed with the controller in mind.

As for MP, you have a) FASA claiming, at least for their games, that KB/MS gamers have no advantage and b) a number of console gamers who think it would not be an issue. In the past people have played with divergent control inputs (see PC games where people prefer mice over flight sticks, etc) and a filter that excludes certain inputs would take hours to create--especially since MS is requiring all devices on the 360 to have identification chips to function. Not sure what Sony is doing but I presume most people will have to use 2 USB ports for the KB and MS so detection should not be too hard, at least not at first.

Personally considering the amount of REAL cheats used by players I don't think KB/MS would be anywhere on the radar of the real cheats that impact gameplay the way real hacks do. Anyone who has played online can vouch that the number of invasive game destroying cheats would be far worse than some players having naturally faster reaction time.

I'll belive FASA when I see it. I don't know much about the game, but if shooting guns is the bulk of the gameplay, I don't see how a controller could match up at all.

I'm not sure what cheating has to do with anything I said. I'm not implying that kb/mouse is a cheat.

oooo thrilling. more ports!

Been there and done that game back in '04. lol. I guess the Episodes being ported was an obvious enough thing to do though.

scooby_dooby said:
Take off the tinfoil hat for a second.
Please stop talking about those annoying tinfoil hats already. I'm tired of hearing that repeated ad nauseum.
/sarcasm

Seriously. KB&M support for a shooter, a PC port at that, that's such a petty thing to get annoyed by. I'm going to stop overreacting now.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Why must every PC FPS to console port support K&M in order to satisfy?
"Must"? Why does anyone care if they ARE included? It's just another damn controller! And the primary control method for FPS down the years. Why NOT include it?

What people don't realize, though, is that their mouse/kbd experience will likely be hampered by the actual game control changes made to accomodate gamepads, though, making them apt to hate m/k more than just USING the pad. ;) I know it would drive me nuts to have my turn speed limited.

It would be interesting to see if they'll be able to split off people to serves by control, though. If they could manage "m/k" versus "gamepad" servers instead of forcably splitting PC's and consoles apart, it might make for an overall better community.

Acert93 said:
As for MP, you have a) FASA claiming, at least for their games, that KB/MS gamers have no advantage and b) a number of console gamers who think it would not be an issue.
Well, as for FASA I can see that at least for their Mechwarrior games, because things like mech sims (basically, vehicles in general) have limited turning radius and aiming built in. For their Shadowfun FPS I don't think so, but that's looking to be ignorable crap regardless. :p

The people in b) situation, however, are idiots. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That portal game sounds sweet. Did you guys play that game about a year ago...um

*goes googling*

oh yeah, Narbacular Drop? It was a neat little game by some students that had you using portals to solve a bunch of puzzles. I remember at the time something was said about them going to Valve or collaborating with valve or something, looks like we are going to see the results!

Found this bit that mentions the game and the working with valve thing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8517

There is a demo here also. I played it a year ago, but even though it's definetly 'student quality' and experimental I remember thinking it was a neat idea.

http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.html

Keep the discussion on topic, not on the merits of keyb/mouse versus controller or the usefulness of a tinfoil hat.

Guys, nobody is forcing you to buy KB&M to play half-life 2.

The only problem I can think of is that DS3 users will be owned by KB&M users in multiplayer deathmatch sessions. Seperate servers?

So is it confirmed which games are shipping with the console versions? If the the games are cheap over the respected network platforms, I wouldnt mind downloading each episode and mod individually for a cheap price.

ZiFF said:
They said Lost Planet & Dead Rising. Believe.
IIRC they were the ones who first talked about DVR + LocationFree functionality in the PS3 as well, and that the final dev kits were faster than expected.

Bad_Boy said:
So is it confirmed which games are shipping with the console versions?

The reporting consensus seems to be:

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (which includes Team Fortress 2 & Portals)

IGN initially reported that Counterstrike Source would also be included, but they backpedalled on that, and it remains unconfirmed (and unlikely IMO). It'd be nice if EA came out and confirmed everything for sure (Ep2 with TF2 and Portals seems a little too good to be true?)..apparently there may be more detail at the Leipzig Game Convention.

Bad_Boy said:
IIRC they were the ones who first talked about DVR + LocationFree functionality in the PS3 as well, and that the final dev kits were faster than expected.

There are two different PSMs, a UK and US one. So we might be mixing rumours here. But one other thing PSM said in that issue that did come through was that Coded Arms would be shown for PS3 at E3. I was actually more impressed they got that right, since no one else was even talking about the possibility before. The rest of the issue featured other PC FPS games, and ranked them according to the likelihood of it coming to PS3. HL2 was on the cover because they seemed really confident it was coming..they basically said just wait for the announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
If the the games are cheap over the respected network platforms, I wouldnt mind downloading each episode and mod individually for a cheap price.
"Consoles" and "for cheap" when it comes to games is almost mutually exclusive. :p Particulary a triple-A franchise like half-life is unlikely to come for a cheap price, or at least not for a good while after launch.

Besides, HL and its add-ons require significant disk space. The 360 and the el cheapo PS3 version in particular is rather starved of that. Also, many users have quite slow internet connections, most would not stand for having to wait a day or two before being able to play a game they bought online. Some may even have metered connections, and parents discovering that their bill spiked after gigabytes worth of game downloads initiated by their kids probably won't be happy. :)

Online distribution works fine for PCs, I think it'll be a while until we see it on consoles.

Guden Oden said:
Besides, HL and its add-ons require significant disk space. The 360 and the el cheapo PS3 version in particular is rather starved of that.

For a compilation that this release appears to be, HL2, Ep1, Ep2, I actually wouldn't mind if they separated HL2 from the Episodes disc-wise. i.e. DVD1 = HL2, DVD2=Episodes 1&2 + whatever else. (All IMO of course ;) )

Also, many users have quite slow internet connections, most would not stand for having to wait a day or two before being able to play a game they bought online. Some may even have metered connections, and parents discovering that their bill spiked after gigabytes worth of game downloads initiated by their kids probably won't be happy. :)

Online distribution works fine for PCs, I think it'll be a while until we see it on consoles.

Aye, this is probably why we see 50MB limits for XBLA games, which can be paid for versus the free content, where the sky is the limit really. MS has nothing to lose in the latter case from customers, but there is potential of losing customers to larger-sized, paid downloads.

Alstrong said:
For a compilation that this release appears to be, HL2, Ep1, Ep2, I actually wouldn't mind if they separated HL2 from the Episodes disc-wise. i.e. DVD1 = HL2, DVD2=Episodes 1&2 + whatever else. (All IMO of course ;) )

they can probably get them all on one disk since most of the content is the same anyway, it would be cool if the console version plays seemlessly, so you can play all parts as it was one game

Guden Oden said:
"Consoles" and "for cheap" when it comes to games is almost mutually exclusive. :p Particulary a triple-A franchise like half-life is unlikely to come for a cheap price, or at least not for a good while after launch.

Besides, HL and its add-ons require significant disk space. The 360 and the el cheapo PS3 version in particular is rather starved of that. Also, many users have quite slow internet connections, most would not stand for having to wait a day or two before being able to play a game they bought online. Some may even have metered connections, and parents discovering that their bill spiked after gigabytes worth of game downloads initiated by their kids probably won't be happy. :)

Well about price. To be fair HL2 is a couple years old so I doubt they would charge full price for it. Especially if your downloading it, and not recieving any boxes + manuals. About size, Im not sure each HL episode is all that great in size and should be small enough for 20 gig users to download. I suppose they dont necessarlly have to offer the huge HL2 over the network but could for the ones with more space and larger hard drives in installed.

I dont see any reason why they couldnt offer the games both in the store, and available to download like steam does. I think most people using Xbox live on the 360 already has a higher speed connection (not dial up), and should be the same for PS3. If you are worried about spiking your internet bill, then you could always choose the alternative and buy in the store. I gotta admit, I didnt really like steam in the beginning, but now im starting to see the light and the possibilities with these consoles.

I just think it would be cool if I could just pick and choose which games I want to pay for If I have already payed for and played previously released games like HL2 and Episode 1. Who likes paying for the same game twice?

Back