Half-Life 2 confirmed for PS3/360 - Episode 2 to ship simultaneously with PC version

Are you guys really excited about playing thru HL2 again? I didn't think it had any replay value.... and the whole HL2 universe has pretty sad multiplayer. Ep1 wasn't all that great either really. lol

And HL2 already "graced" Xbox 1. The 360 version will at best give you PC quality textures at 1280x720. Assuming they don't have any probs with it like they're having with the Doom3 engine.

Valve's press release - confirms bundle contents :)

Bellevue, WA, July 14, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-StrikeTM, unveiled Team Fortress® 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"By evolving our development process to an episodic approach, we're able to reduce risk from things such as schedule and funding and invest more in new types of gameplay," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "This allows us to produce innovative titles such as Portal and Team Fortress 2 and deliver them in a timely fashion to customers along with Episode Two."

Episode Two advances the 16-million unit selling franchise, as Valve's trilogy of episodic single player releases continues the award-winning story of Half-Life 2. Armed with new weaponry and vehicles, Dr. Gordon Freeman must race through a countryside riddled with an increasingly feirce Combine threat.

Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date. Players choose from a range of unique character classes such as medic, spy, sniper, or engineer and must work together to complete a variety of tactical objectives.

Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC. In addition, these products plus Half-Life 2 and Episode One will be available in one tremendous offering for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.

About Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 has been named Game of the Year by over 35 organizations and sold over four million copies worldwide. The intense, real-time gameplay delivered in the Half-Life 2 games and Team Fortress 2 is made possible only by Source, Valve's proprietary engine technology.

About Valve

Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. The company's portfolio of entertainment properties includes Half-Life®, Counter-StrikeTM, Day of Defeat®, Team Fortress® and Portal. Valve's catalog of products accounts for over 20 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 80% of PC online action gameplay. In addition, Valve is a developer of leading-edge technologies, such as the Source game engine and Steam, a broadband platform for the delivery and management of digital content. For more information, please visit www.valvesoftware.com

Bad_Boy said:
Well about price. To be fair HL2 is a couple years old so I doubt they would charge full price for it.
Oh, it'll cost full price alright, it's a new game on the 360 after all. Besides, they'll charge full price for it since they can do it. HL2 is a fairly popular game after all.

About size, Im not sure each HL episode is all that great in size and should be small enough for 20 gig users to download.
The thing is, with all the other stuff people might want to download onto their HDDs, chances are they'll have to delete the expansion to make room, and then re-download it again later when they feel like playing it again, creating a damn bother for the users.

Guden Oden said:
Oh, it'll cost full price alright, it's a new game on the 360 after all. Besides, they'll charge full price for it since they can do it. HL2 is a fairly popular game after all.
HL2 is a 30 dollar game over steam now, I see no reason why it would be 50 dollars over 360 or PS3's network platform. Yeah its a new game for the consoles, but it's still 30 dollars on a similar service. Well I guess we wont have to worry about that according to the press release. I'm assuming a 60 dollar price for both the 360 and PS3 which includes everything.

The thing is, with all the other stuff people might want to download onto their HDDs, chances are they'll have to delete the expansion to make room, and then re-download it again later when they feel like playing it again, creating a damn bother for the users.
With 20gigs, this could apply to more than just hl2:episodes. Multiple demos do add up.

HL2 is a 30 dollar game over steam now, I see no reason why it would be 50 dollars over 360 or PS3's network platform. Yeah its a new game for the consoles, but it's still 30 dollars on a similar service. Well I guess we wont have to worry about that according to the press release. I'm assuming a 60 dollar price for both the 360 and PS3 which includes everything.

Turns out you were right :D

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762650p1.html

In case you weren't aware what was inside the boxes, the Black Box is only available on PC and includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress 2. It retails for $39.99. The Orange Box is available for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episodes One and Two, Portal and Team Fortress. It retails for a modest $59.99.

I'm out of the loop. Is Portal going to be a game or only a new gimmic gun for the HL series? Portal looks like the coolest thing since the Fonz locked himself in a freezer.:cool: eeeeeehhhh

I'm out of the loop. Is Portal going to be a game or only a new gimmic gun for the HL series? Portal looks like the coolest thing since the Fonz locked himself in a freezer.:cool: eeeeeehhhh

Game, Standalone.

If I was buying the game on consoles, I would most likely wait until the final installment(EP3) gets bundled with it(not saying they'll come out with another bundle by the time ep3 ships, but just a theory).

Though waiting that long sounds stupid :???:

Lucky for me, I play on PC's so black box ftw! :LOL:

I'm buying this pack day one. I've never played any Half Life games before so it's one hell of a deal. Sadly it will probably come out in 2008. :cry:

I'm buying this pack day one. I've never played any Half Life games before so it's one hell of a deal. Sadly it will probably come out in 2008. :cry:

HL2 was great (still is relative to what's out) and EP1 was better. The movies from EP2 look like it might be the best so far. I already bought everything via Steam so there is no good reason not to buy EP2 the same way. If I was a console only owner the console package would be a great deal.

It would be nice to see SiN Episodes available over XBL or PSN, even if the series has met a premature end.

Just imagine if it wasn't episodic... :runaway:

Then it would be out a year later, 2010 :p (thats just my assumption looking back at the time gap between HL and HL2 :LOL: )

Im not a very huge supporter of episodic content really. For me, it makes the game feel, err so "shallow" :oops: (mainly because of the "split into parts" thing)

And by the time the game ships, graphics-wise, it'll be tweaked to visuals thats up to par with games around that time, whereas with ep content, ill doubt they'll go back and go "uhh yeah, we have a DX10 patch for EP1 everybody..."

Eh, enough whining from me :p , just wanted to get that out of my head :|

Back