GTA V on PC

Is anyone having any luck playing online? A mate and I (in the UK FWIW) have been having nothing but lag... Bloody sucks, it has so much potential.

SP is great though.

Played about 15 hours online and it was mostly fine. Did a lot of races, armed robberies, survival, some deathmatch and the like. But somehow I haven't been able to get through all stages of the first heist without someone freezing or disconnecting.

I'm in Singapore but somehow seem to meet a fair few Russians, Germans, Poles and Turks, along with Koreans. Might be coincidence or because my Rockstar Social Club account dates from when in lived in the Netherlands.

Not as much as you might think. They've added more traffic, better lighting and higher res textures but the core of the game is exactly the same on the 360. The sunsets, the water, the haze, I thought it was gorgeous back in 2013. It's just even better now.
Guess I haven't seen it since it came out. Pretty impressive for some truly ancient hardware.

Here's what I did:

Went to start the game 3 times, but each time when the launcher was loading the game I clicked Cancel because I realized I needed to change something in the NVCP (kinda dumb but whatever). Now when I try to run the game the launcher crashes every time. Set all the NVCP settings back to default to no avail. Now checking integrity of my install. Malo halp

Edit that fixed it Malo you're off the hook.

Dropping to 2xMSAA made for a rather large performance increase with hardly any IQ degradation that I could see. I guess the FXAA and TXAA does a pretty good job on its own. Playing this game at 60fps is a real treat.

I don't get it. Haven't ATI/AMD chips supported Temporal AntiAliasing for like 11 years since the R400?

Why isn't it a widely adopted feature?

I don't get it. Haven't ATI/AMD chips supported Temporal AntiAliasing for like 11 years since the R400?

They used to, but don't think it has been enabled in drivers since forever. TXAA isn't exactly the same either, it takes into account last frames samples too, or something around those lines, instead of just switching sample positions every frame

I've been playing this most nights and doing various missions in different weather types and times of day you really get to appreciate the amazing lighting and detail they've put into it. I love the water build up during and after rain with full reflections.

The method NVidia are using requires programmable sample positions within the pixel which is probably only a subset of their cards. Lots of hardware just uses fixed positions for all the samples or can vary them but don't expose it. Since the current APIs don't expose programmable sample positions (AFAIK) and it's not really used by most devs it ends up being an extra cost in hardware. I suspect several hardware vendors already support variable sample positions or have a lookup table with a set of predefined positions available but devs can't get at them.

The main reason temporal antialiasing usually falls over is aligning samples from a pixel in one frame to a pixel in another frame. Perhaps NVidida have resolved them in a clever way or are just avoiding them. Getting the pixel position correct isn't that hard but the problem lies in the same object in two frames might be different colour due to lighting/shadow/reflection changes. Lots of software solutions do this themselves (Cryengine, Killzone, etc). The simplest thing to do is just disable the method on any pixels that have weird lighting differences but this applies the method to only some of the pixels in the scene. You then have to filter the samples so you get different levels of blur on different pixels. I haven't looked but this is probably present in any frame rednered this way unless NVidia's doing something clever and people just find it less objectionable than the aliasing.

The other problem with these methods is usually at the transition between framerates. Say the method only kicks in at >30fps. When your game hovers around 25-35fps you get visible pulses between the alising levels. NVidida might have just sidestepped the issue by using their recommended settings program to avoid this framerate valley or they might have engineered it away by gradually spreading the sample positions or modifying the filtering dependent on framerate. Just depends how much effort you're willing to spend on something a dev might not use, something that can't be used for passing conformance testing and be willing to validate it on enough content to not break some games. Thankfully NVidida is resourced well enough to do all of those and to push the marketing enough to sell the idea.

Timothy Lottes, the creator of FXAA and TXAA had a great article on it on his blog when it first appeared but I can't find it anymore.

Looks good but seeing the highway from above makes you realize just how empty and lifeless the city is. Hopefully Dx12 will be able to help with that in future games. Graphics are pretty amazing otherwise.

Regards,
SB

Anyone else having issues with AF? I have it set at 16x but it doesn't seem to work. The divider line on motorways is very blurry just a short distance ahead. I'm on Win7 x64 GTX 680 with the GTA V drivers.

Looks good but seeing the highway from above makes you realize just how empty and lifeless the city is. Hopefully Dx12 will be able to help with that in future games. Graphics are pretty amazing otherwise.

Regards,
SB

Well, maybe more something to do with viewing distance setting in this case..

Regards,
SB
I'm sure it's his setting. The PC version has incredibly long view distance for cars on the road. At night it's just amazing.

Anyone else having issues with AF? I have it set at 16x but it doesn't seem to work. The divider line on motorways is very blurry just a short distance ahead. I'm on Win7 x64 GTX 680 with the GTA V drivers.
I've noticed this as well. Just now I went into the game and changed my AF setting from 8x to 16x. Instantly the lines in the road became crystal clear. Now what's interesting is that I then changed it back to 8x and it remained good (it's really hard to notice the difference between 8x and 16x). So the game is not applying AF unless you go and change the setting. Then it takes effect.

Am I the first one on the Internet to notice this? Definitely patch worthy.

I've noticed this as well. Just now I went into the game and changed my AF setting from 8x to 16x. Instantly the lines in the road became crystal clear. Now what's interesting is that I then changed it back to 8x and it remained good (it's really hard to notice the difference between 8x and 16x). So the game is not applying AF unless you go and change the setting. Then it takes effect.

Am I the first one on the Internet to notice this? Definitely patch worthy.
I only tried off and 16x and didn't see a difference. I will try your suggestion.

Back