GTA V on PC

Same issue here. Changed to 8x then back to 16x and I have AF at last. Looks so much better.

Some quick shots from GTA V running at 4096x2160, maxed IQ settings, 4x MSAA, 35-45fps within the city limits and around 30-33fps around the country side. If no MSAA was applied, I receive an additional 10-15fps depending on the area. Anyhow, I'm enjoying 4K gaming... :cool:

Click to enlarge or download the uncompressed pictures.
GTAV%201_zpsqr963nsz.png~original

GTAV%202_zpspfbqrvpd.png~original

GTAV%203_zps2qabtesn.png~original

GTAV%204_zpstpzdry0h.png~original

GTAV%205_zpsohcei96l.png~original

GTAV%208_zpsq9o3j3hn.png~original

Edit: Spoiler tag added.

Last edited:
At some point in the recent past, one of the GTAV PC updates has added what they term as "Frame Scaling" in the Advanced Graphics section. It allows for DSR-like behavior built into the game rather than as a driver feature. Interestingly, you can "undersize" the frame just as you could oversize: you can run it at "1/2", "3/4" and "5/6" which actually renders below the framebuffer rez but then overlays the GUI at native. And then of course, you can "oversize" the frame all the way up to "5/2".

My 7970 seems to do alright at 5/4 and just "mostly playable but not always" at 3/2. Worth playing with, for those of you who like the option.

Unrelated: this game looks excellent even at "low" settings. With all the features either at OFF or at their "normal" preset, even my nearly five year old Lenovo Y460's 1GB 5650m can play it reasonably well at the native rez of 1366x768.

Holy fuck, isn't there a thread of HQ screenshots? That just killed my connection and Chrome for a while. Even after they are finally downloaded, it still makes Chrome stutter like a mo-fo. Thank god I don't have any data caps on this connection.

Can a mod please move those screenshots out of this thread? Or spoiler them or something?

I feel bad for anyone looking at this thread on a mobile device with mobile data caps.

Regards,
SB

Does the spoiler tag actually cause the browser to NOT load it, or simply not render it? Different forum software handles that behavior in different ways.

What resolution? Are you able to max it out with msaa+txaa at 60fps?

My questions exactly. One of the biggest reasons I want a 980Ti (or, perhaps, equivalent from AMD) is to crank up GTAV and Dead Island to 1440p with all the tickboxes checked and all the sliders at max.

My questions exactly. One of the biggest reasons I want a 980Ti (or, perhaps, equivalent from AMD) is to crank up GTAV and Dead Island to 1440p with all the tickboxes checked and all the sliders at max.
I cranked everything (even the advanced settings) except msaa to max and I perceived it as smooth as hell compared to the GTX 680. I have a 1920x1200 display which I am aiming to replace with an Acer Predator G-sync IPS 1440p monitor but it is not in stock at the moment it seems in the entire country.

I also have an i7 5830k with 32 GB DDR4, but I haven't clocked it yet so it may even deliver more.

Btw, my 980 Ti is an EVGA SC so it is slightly factory-overclocked.

Take Two destroys mod community because they haven't made enough money with GTA V

gtav.PNG

Edit: For those who don't like watching videos and want some more details:
  • The mod system OpenIV which received the takedown notice has been around for 10 years
  • On purpose, it has only ever allowed the user to mod single player
  • Rockstar themselves have openly promoted it in the past
  • The action was by TakeTwo, not Rockstar themselves

Last edited:
The situation has developed since then with Rockstar now saying they only want to stop "malicious mods" that impact online. It's spin, but the situation is more hopeful. I don't even use mods with GTA V but the initial action annoyed me.

Edit: For those who don't like watching videos and want some more details:
  • The mod system OpenIV which received the takedown notice has been around for 10 years
  • On purpose, it has only ever allowed the user to mod single player
  • Rockstar themselves have openly promoted it in the past
  • The action was by TakeTwo, not Rockstar themselves

Evidently the problem comes about because some people found a way to use Open IV to enable malicious mods that harm other players of the game. While it's acknowledged that the mod itself is legit the fact that it can be exploited in such a way as to harm other users means that they had no option but to take it down.

Their official response.

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Considering how popular GTA 5 online is, anything that impacts players in that mode must be taken seriously.

Regards,
SB

Evidently the problem comes about because some people found a way to use Open IV to enable malicious mods that harm other players of the game. While it's acknowledged that the mod itself is legit the fact that it can be exploited in such a way as to harm other users means that they had no option but to take it down.
Thanks for updating this, was looking forward to more details. It's a pity it had to happen but if indeed it allows malicious mods then they really had no choice.

Back