Grand Theft Auto IV trailer: now online

It's very impressive IMO.

Just look at the shadows, the daylight illumination, the draw distance, the anti-alias. Certainly one of the best cityscape I've ever witnessed in a video game, if not the best one. The only thing I think they need to improve is to add more crowd and more vehicles into the city scape.:idea:

It's always been that the 360 is the lead platform for this game. I don't know where you all are thinking this will have difficulty fitting on a DVD9. Game data of Crackdown is less than 1GB, Oblivion is half of a DVD with most of it audio. GTA:SA was 1.5GB of game data, rest was audio and other things.

This won't have an issue with the 360.

I think it looks very good for a GTA game. Looking at San Andreas and then this trailer and I'm certainly satisfied with it. I hope that the graphics are not the only thing that gets an upgrade. The gameplay mechanics have been rather sluggish in the past especially aiming and shooting.

The shadows are kinda borked as they flicker a lot, but I think it looks quite good overall.

Those were my first two impressions as well. The game's art quality/diversity appears to be very good and detailed and the sheer scope is impressive. The amount of little details (like steam coming out of a single window) and variety and detail in the textures is very impressive. Some shadows look excellent (especially the dynamic day cycle) but others add shimmer all over the place and are annoying. The NPCs also seem to stick out some, e.g. you go from the awesome looking water shot at the end to the guy walking over the bridge and the guy, especially his skin (like his hands) just seems very... flat. A huge jump from last gen sandbox games and very impressive. Hard to compare to next gen sandbox games because there are so few and one of them, Crackdown, is totally different artistically. But so far it is looking great--which is one of the areas the other GTA games appeared to be average at best at. If they maintain their fan pleasing gameplay (which I am not) and improve there as much as they have graphically this is surely a killer app.

The trailer is way too short, but at first glance, the renderer looks advanced for this type of game, I like the lighting effects.

The lighting did appear to be really, really good for the scope and fits the style very well.

Well, based on what I see here, I can see a nice collection of effects, complex lighting, self-shadowing (shadow maps, based on the induced aliasing and from what we heard from Rockstar Core, here at B3D), decent geometry count, nice close up details, etc...
Also, we got to consider the other free roaming games available, or shown, on X360/PS3 as the defacto standards for this genre of games.

Yeah, I think perspective on genre is a big one here. This isn't a narrow/single path linear FPS, it isn't a 2.5D game, and it isn't 2 players tennis game. It is a huge world sandbox and the technology is limited to the demands of such an implimentation. The art itself is very, very good. Btw, is there an example of self-shadowing in the video? I tried watching the end again and maybe I am too tired but I didn't really notice it (although the lighting is drab at the angle and he appears to be in a shadow himself which may preclude generating one).

But graphically it's disappointment (not better than Half-Life 2). In the gametrailers 720p trailer poor parts stand out.

Art is debatable as I have stated before, but technologically the dynamic lighting system and the fact shadows are dynamic is huge steps up. Heck, I didn't see any dynamic shadows passing through world geometry like HL2!

In my first post in this thread I wrote "not better than HL2". HL2 has HDR and open environments.

Not really. I have played a LOT of HL2 and the game is fairly linear in path as well as having quite a few load points. I think they did a good job with the design myself, but it is really clear that the game is NOT open. e.g. When travelling the cannal many objects in the distance appear "reachable" but if you no-clip it you find out that they are being cleverly disguised with world geometry with "props" showing the elevated objects (water towers, etc). This works GREAT with HL2 because the game is linear. But with GTA this would not work because players can go anywhere they want from anywhere... and they can elevate. In HL2 if you could get above the world geometry horizon it would destroy their ingenious design layouts that make the world appear much larger, and detailed, than it really is.

So no open environments and the render in HL2 is significantly less capable at lighting and shadowing.

HL2 Orange does appear to address the dynamic shadowing though and appears to have high quality overall (although still difficult to compare without a final version to look at and to see the design scope/compromises). But the HL2 renderer on the market is lacking a lot of features GTAIV is showing.

That's my thought too, I thought the graphical level in the Table Tennis game by Rockstar could be propagated to environmental details in open areas but it was apparently a misconception. Probably their 1st priority was to make the huge game complete in October this year.

#1 Priority -- Make a fun game that sells crazy fast.
#2 Priority -- Make a huge sandbox world.

Expecting Table Tennis quality characters artistically and technically is not fair. How is Rockstar supposed to render dozens of Table Tennis quality characters on a screen at a time in an open world instead of a small room? You are also talking about spreading the art assets from a confined space to tens of thousands of spaces.

But graphics have never been their premier source of interest, nor has it ever been their forte.
The Getaway (PS2) was technically superior to GTA 3 or VC, it ran better and looked better, yes, but it also played like fecal matter and was as boring as a game can be.

IMO good graphics coming from them is gravy based on their last gen efforts. I am not a fan myself, but it surely wasn't the graphics that sold GTA games! I think Bungie is under the same sort of microscope when graphics really aren't their forte. Not that they are bad, just that other things made their game great.

With multiple cores that can load and decompress things in background my expectation was a tad too high.

As far as I can tell the graphic issues are not content related -- the main issues compression would resolve. The game this big, with a day cycle, is going to need dynamic lighting and shadowing. That is always going to be a step down (or two) from precomputed solutions in regards to quality. As for art, there is only so much you can do with such a huge world. You can decompress stuff left and right but you need the time to create said content and artists capable of such.

one said:
Another reference point is its supposed huge budget, it would be far bigger than games like Dead Rising.

You say "it would" as if you know that GTAIV isn't significantly larger than Dead Rising in regards to the world size. How do you know this? Isn't it a little early to begin chastizing the budget not producing enough gameplay world and not exceeding the competition without even knowing how big it even is?

I am decidely NOT a fan of the GTA series as many here know, so I rarely would find myself in a position to considering defending it, but a lot of your criticisms appear premature or unfounded. The game surely has rough spots and issues, and the trailer left a LOT to be desired in regards to answering questions about gameplay and content, but your specific points and comparisons seem pretty hollow.

It's always been that the 360 is the lead platform for this game. I don't know where you all are thinking this will have difficulty fitting on a DVD9. Game data of Crackdown is less than 1GB, Oblivion is half of a DVD with most of it audio. GTA:SA was 1.5GB of game data, rest was audio and other things.

This won't have an issue with the 360.

Funny ive always heard its been PS3 because of Sony being no.1 leader in the market, do you have a link?

Funny ive always heard its been PS3 because of Sony being no.1 leader in the market, do you have a link?

All will be revealed in the upcoming Game Informer. They have exclusive content. It was said here as well, Pelaajalehti.com It's in Finnish though. Not just that, the RAGE engine was employed in Table Tennis first. Also, Microsoft gave Take Two over 30 million dollars for this game, how could it not be made on the 360 then. One more piece of info, there is either a viral marketer or a Rockstar employee on a GTA site and he typed this. He's been letting out hints about the game and trailer since earlier this month. He did say this

Play GTA IV for me guys, maybe they have 360's on the big cloud in the sky.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=269166&st=40#

His/her name is deepthroatgta4

This was written by this deepthroat character March 11th.

The driver of the suburban produced credentials that showed he was an employee of Rockstar Games, my two other team members were satisfied and didn't realise the significance of the event, I opened the passenger side door and looked into the rear of the truck where one of the males shut down several LCD screens, but my heart skipped a beat as I looked at a folder on the desk which was emblazed with the "IV" official logo with the Manhattan Skyline clearly shown within the letters.

18 days later, everything he said came true. He tells a good story as well. Fans should check it out.

Where do you get MS paid $30M for this? I believe MS loaned in the $20M range (each) to fund the Mass Effect trilogy and the Too Human trilogy as exclusives. $30M to move your release date up for a non-exclusiveto parity with the competition for a single title appears steep. Possibly well worth it strategically but still.

-I like : the car models, npc models, lightning, and the birds :d.

-I dont like : some washed out textures, the buildings. There is a special effect to make some realistic windows, they should use it. ( dont remember the game it's been used in before ). There is some flickering on wire cables and trees as well.

-I'd like to see : The physic engine !!!!!

Where do you get MS paid $30M for this? I believe MS loaned in the $20M range (each) to fund the Mass Effect trilogy and the Too Human trilogy as exclusives. $30M to move your release date up for a non-exclusiveto parity with the competition for a single title appears steep. Possibly well worth it strategically but still.

The exclusive content as well.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/11813

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. F2Q06 (Qtr ended Apr 30, 2006) Earnings Conference Call (TTWO)

Posted on Jun 8th, 2006 with stocks: TTWO

Most recently, we have received approximately $35 million of payments in our third quarter, and we expect to receive additional payments this year. To the extent we have not performed the obligations required under these agreements, we will report such payments as deferred revenue on our balance sheet.

The first question was this.

Great, thank you. Karl, could you give us a little bit more detail on the decision to break out deferred revenue? How much of that is directly tied to the Microsoft deal in terms of you providing online content to that versus being tied to the in-game advertising deals that you have put together?

In an interview, then CEO of Take Two said that 30 million of it came from Microsoft. I'm looking for that now.

Some of you guys are reading a bit too much in mysterious undercover posters from Rockstar that mixed hints of GTA IV in a cryptic fantasy story on their GTA-fanboard...

I don't know why mentioning a 360 in a sentence like that ( "Play GTA IV for me guys, maybe they have 360's on the big cloud in the sky") suddenly makes it the lead platform. The guy wrote some fine suspense-conspiracy-fantasy story and turned out to be an Rockstar-insider. Most of what he says is just entertainment and creative writing, and mentioning a 360 in that context says nothing. He's talking about a paranoia chase-conspiracy cause he presumebly has info on GTAIV and Rockstar is trying to kill him before he leaks. So basicly he tells everybody goodbye before he gets virtually murdered, and then he hopes to play GTA in heaven. It's a fun character though, and he hints quite subtly on all kind of things that might be used in the game.

The 30 million, if true at all (nowhere confirmed in that article), could be for other oncoming games beside GTA, games like Table Tennis weren't on Playstation either were they, I think it was a Xbox exclusive? He also specificly mentions Sport titles, online content and ingame-advertising on that topic. So maybe it's just to promote Vista or whatever in their games through billboards or whatever, and MS pays them to integrate it. Could be so many things. I don't think they pay 30 million for a multiplatform game and some extra exclusive content.

People jump a bit too hasty to all kind of conclusions. And why. The title is going to be fairly identical on PS3 and 360, like all crossplatformed games that are developed simultaniously. There's no time to exploit the PS3, and Rockstar is third party, so whatever the leadplatform is, it wouldn't matter at all that much. Two competent teams are working side by side on both plaforms, sharing assets, and trying their best to bring an identical game.

Maybe if they decide to use BluRay space extensively, it could make a difference in terms of hi-res textures and some content, but I don't expect a big difference to be honest. Still wondering if the game will fit on a DVD9 though. GTA is always big on capacity.

Also, Microsoft gave Take Two over 30 million dollars for this game, how could it not be made on the 360 then.

Um..... no

Sorry. That just seems very very very unlikely. For 30 million you could just buy all the R* talent and make sandbox game with (nearly) unlimited funds.

The exclusive content as well.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/11813

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. F2Q06 (Qtr ended Apr 30, 2006) Earnings Conference Call (TTWO)

Posted on Jun 8th, 2006 with stocks: TTWO

The first question was this.

In an interview, then CEO of Take Two said that 30 million of it came from Microsoft. I'm looking for that now.

This was known after E3 last year when Balmer came on stage with a GTA4 tattoo and bragged about exclusive content. Sony then responded saying they also had exclusive content.

Some of you guys are reading a bit too much in mysterious undercover posters from Rockstar that mixed hints of GTA IV in a cryptic fantasy story on their GTA-fanboard...

I don't know why mentioning a 360 in a sentence like that ( "Play GTA IV for me guys, maybe they have 360's on the big cloud in the sky") suddenly makes it the lead platform. The guy wrote some fine suspense-conspiracy-fantasy story and turned out to be an Rockstar-insider. Most of what he says is just entertainment and creative writing, and mentioning a 360 in that context says nothing. He's talking about a paranoia chase-conspiracy cause he presumebly has info on GTAIV and Rockstar is trying to kill him before he leaks. So basicly he tells everybody goodbye before he gets virtually murdered, and then he hopes to play GTA in heaven. It's a fun character though, and he hints quite subtly on all kind of things that might be used in the game.

The 30 million, if true at all (nowhere confirmed in that article), could be for other oncoming games beside GTA, games like Table Tennis weren't on Playstation either were they, I think it was a Xbox exclusive? He also specificly mentions Sport titles, online content and ingame-advertising on that topic. So maybe it's just to promote Vista or whatever in their games through billboards or whatever, and MS pays them to integrate it. Could be so many things. I don't think they pay 30 million for a multiplatform game and some extra exclusive content.

People jump a bit too hasty to all kind of conclusions. And why. The title is going to be fairly identical on PS3 and 360, like all crossplatformed games that are developed simultaniously. There's no time to exploit the PS3, and Rockstar is third party, so whatever the leadplatform is, it wouldn't matter at all that much. Two competent teams are working side by side on both plaforms, sharing assets, and trying their best to bring an identical game.

Maybe if they decide to use BluRay space extensively, it could make a difference in terms of hi-res textures and some content, but I don't expect a big difference to be honest. Still wondering if the game will fit on a DVD9 though. GTA is always big on capacity.

Your post is all wrong through and through, but I'll go from the bottom and work my way up. GTA:SA fit on a DVD5. A full install of the that game on PC is 4.7GB. Oblivion, for a full install on PC, is 4.6GB. 'Sandbox' games work will within the confines of a DVD. So, GTA isn't 'big on capacity' by any stretch of the imagination. So, your fears of the game fitting should be relaxed.

The Quarterly meeting was the first meeting after E3 2006, that is where they announced the money received. No, they didn't spell it out in clear terms where the money came from, but the analyst knew immediately were the money came from. You mentioned Table Tennis. They released in May. This conference call took place in June. Note this from the excerpt from the article.

To the extent we have not performed the obligations required under these agreements,

Obligations haven't been performed yet.

Why would they, of all companies promote Vista for Microsoft? They don't need help in that regard.

Like I said, it's already been said that Game Informer is supposed to have exclusive content in the next magazine, you'll see then.

Um..... no

Sorry. That just seems very very very unlikely. For 30 million you could just buy all the R* talent and make sandbox game with (nearly) unlimited funds.

If you've noticed their interviews lately, it appears that Halo 3 is going to come out in September and they are going to give GTA4 it's own month as they appear to be co-oping some of the advertising. They ran the trailer countdown the Xbox.com site as well and then put the trailer on both the site and Live. It was Peter Moore, not Ballmer with the tat of GTA4.

To Microsoft, it was paramount that they have GTA4 same day and the PS3 and they paid through the nose for that right.

As far as buying talent, you shouldn't, because they could just leave and the people that made the IP worth something to begin with is gone. Kinda like Microsoft and the High Heat license.

However, the CEO did say that 30 million of it came from Microsoft, I still can't find that article, I didn't think it'd be this obscure to find.

Your post is all wrong through and through, but I'll go from the bottom and work my way up. GTA:SA fit on a DVD5. A full install of the that game on PC is 4.7GB. Oblivion, for a full install on PC, is 4.6GB. 'Sandbox' games work will within the confines of a DVD. So, GTA isn't 'big on capacity' by any stretch of the imagination. So, your fears of the game fitting should be relaxed.

Could this be related to having only 4.7 GB capacity ? :)

looking very nice, though a little bit dull in the color palette though (but this is next gen so hey)
GTA3 was THE game of last gen (+ the one i was most technically impressed with WRT time of release, though only saw on pc)
greatjob by rockstars staff, good job of keeping it quiet, i dont wanna see any trailers etc until less than 6 months of a games release

Could this be related to having only 4.7 GB capacity ? :)

It could but that would still be unfounded for the concept. GT SA only used about 1.3GB of actual game data and the remainder of the 4.5 was audio. This was released on a platform thats supports little to no compression technology. Even with the assests needing more storage on "next gen" games I cant honestly see GTA4 requiring BR or a multi disk approach.

Other "sandbox" titles have shown that DVD9 is more than necessary to fit the game on without any compromise of quality or content. The whole BR is a necessity argument is primarily used by Sony fans in order to uplift their console of choice.

GTA-SA is a previous-gen game with pretty lame gfx compared to this trailer. Everything will get bigger, sharper and better. Sound, gfx, assets, textures, AI. Don't be too sure everything will fit within the 7.8GB limits a DVD9-disc presents for the 360. 3GB of extra space is not much at all for such a big leap in all elements of a game. We all know that the beautifull Gears also fits on DVD9, but we also now it's pretty damn short in gameplay with it's 8 hours and not freeroaming, so that's not comparable. Neither is Oblivion. It has huge (but pretty empty in terms of NPC's) maps and lot's of quests, but compared to what is going on onscreen in this GTA, one can easily understand that this is not a honest comparison.

The Quarterly meeting was the first meeting after E3 2006, that is where they announced the money received. No, they didn't spell it out in clear terms where the money came from, but the analyst knew immediately were the money came from. You mentioned Table Tennis. They released in May. This conference call took place in June. Note this from the excerpt from the article.
Obligations haven't been performed yet.
Not only didn't they spell it out the way you are suggesting it, they are specificly mentioning other types of games (Sports), IP and game-ads to that related topic. If I am deadwrong, maybe you can start explaining why you think you are so spot-on on this, because to me you are concluding all kind of things from an interview that aren't remotely said. It's probably what you want to hear.
Why would they, of all companies promote Vista for Microsoft? They don't need help in that regard.
Why wouldn't they want to promote Vista in a game of theirs of they can cash money for it? It's not a service for MS, it's a moneymaking bizniz for Rockstar. MS don't need help? Then why are they advertising Vista all over the place in the magazines and media. Games-ads is just an extra option to spread the word nowadays.
Like I said, it's already been said that Game Informer is supposed to have exclusive content in the next magazine, you'll see then.
Okay, but what does exclusive content have to do with being the lead platform. From the start GTAIV was announced, Rockstar revealed that both the 360 and the PS3 will have their own exclusive content. I know MS tried to make it look that only they had the extras, but they were quickly corrected that same day by Rockstar both version will have some unique stuff.

Other "sandbox" titles have shown that DVD9 is more than necessary to fit the game on without any compromise of quality or content. The whole BR is a necessity argument is primarily used by Sony fans in order to uplift their console of choice.

Don't get me wrong, more space never hurts, but you said what I wanted to say as well.

Back