Got WMD?

Natoma

Veteran
So. Any found yet? Just wondering.

I've heard nothing yet on that front. That is why we sent troops over there right? That Iraq was *this* close to giving full out nuclear weapons to Al-Qaeda? That WMDs were all over the place? That inspections would never work, yadda yadda yadda....

It just seems that lost in all the hubbub, the whole reason for us going into Iraq, i.e. to get those dang-blasted WMDs, has gone up in the smoke. But oh wells. It was always about freeing the children. Save the children! :LOL:

Nope, none found yet. Rummy's latest theory is that Saddam had the WMD destroyed just before the war.

Of course that was Dubya's demand in the first place so the whole thing does not make any sense at all - you see, just more White House bullshit just like Powell's bogus "proof" (let's be frank here: outright lies) at the UN Security Council.

Those guys are about as reliable as the beloved Iraqi Information Minister.

Maybe Rummy will yet again fall back to his his alternative theory: Saddam had his WMD shipped to Syria, Iran or whichever place the US want to attack next :LOL:

Hmm, I am pretty sure some people here on this board said WMD will be uncovered, soon after the war.

Anyway, is there a possibility that the WMD is in the hand of terrorist and they're planning their next strike somewhere ?

Regardless, removing Saddam and his regime, didn't make finding this WMD any easier.

What is the USA?
Control.
The USA is a television generated dream-world
created to keep you under control so they can turn you into this . *holds up sheep*
I don't believe ! I won't.
I didn't say it would be easy I only said it would be the truth.
LET ME OUT ! LET ME OUT THIS PLACE!

footnote . I have a friend from high school who has been in the US Army for 13 years.He was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq this week but thankfully his orders were changed. He said alot of ppl on his base thinks Bush is power hungry.
My friend called him Hitler , I was quite shocked to hear all this from him.

V3 said:
Hmm, I am pretty sure some people here on this board said WMD will be uncovered, soon after the war.

Anyway, is there a possibility that the WMD is in the hand of terrorist and they're planning their next strike somewhere ?

Regardless, removing Saddam and his regime, didn't make finding this WMD any easier.

I don't know about that. They've uncovered two chem/bio mobile labs. Though there were no chem/bio in them, it does show their was an infrastructure there that was hidden from the UN inspectors.

RussSchultz said:
I don't know about that. They've uncovered two chem/bio mobile labs. Though there were no chem/bio in them, it does show their was an infrastructure there that was hidden from the UN inspectors.

Are you sure about that? It wasn't one of those "Test show its WMD.. oh wait, its not" things that happend 20 times now?

It can be hard to find some rather less conventional chemical WMD which last for alot longer( years ) and cause slower deaths can be made easier nevre agents and can be more toxic. A small granual of a specific substance I got in mind can kill 2 thousand people so just think of how hard( or rather easy) it would be to hide 1 44 gallon drum of it somewhere in an entire country.

I believe in some of the anthrax letters that were sent around america had enough to kill 100s of thousands of people ( if not treated ). Its not an easy job to find em.

Wow, there's no comments using the words"communists", "peaceniks" or "damn hippies"... very unusual...

As if WMD were the motives for going in anyway pssh... it's all about the dollar dollar bill yo. I feel quite dissapointed in the world. Sorry to offend anyone if I have.

lol @ indio btw ;)

Its always been the infrastructure that they've been after. Its easy to destroy or say bury chemical canisters, not so with a full fledged facility. That was clear to the inspectors as well.

AFAIK, the 3 places they know for sure are/were chemical facilities have been abandoned for over a year, another dating back all the way to the Iran war. They've found a lot of homemade chemical weapons, but nothing that would show full fledged government backing and resources, like say Anthrax or VMX.

They haven't found a smoking gun yet, which is kinda surprising considering you would think Iraqis would give the info themselves. Then again, Iraq is a huge country with large parts that are still not American friendly, I saw a proffesor claiming it could take months to sort through all the various intelligence and claims.

Still, there is a great deal of indirect evidence. From chemical suits that the Republican Guard were keeping on them at all times, to documents that show live deception against the inspectors.

Still the ever elusive hotspot or defector is not there.

V3 said:

Well, some on this board also praised Powell's "impressive" UN presentation of "proof" like photos of buildings with trucks in front of them, computer-generated mock-ups of WMD-lab trucks and a totally distorted and out-of-context quotation of Hussein Kamil (Saddam's defected and later murdered son-in-law).

Besides, according to experts, the fact that Al-Queada is toying around with Ricin is a pretty good indication that they do not have access to "real" WMD or at least don't have the technical means to deliver them which has always been the hardest part about WMD.

Plus, I doubt that a bunch of terrorists have the tens of thousands of tons of WMD Iraq allegedly possessed stored somewhere .

If there is anything to find in the first place.

Actually, the US _DID_ find WMD. :oops:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,965319,00.html

Quite embarrassing.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Wow, there's no comments using the words"communists", "peaceniks" or "damn hippies"... very unusual...

I believe that we are all grown here. ;)
Don't you believe it? :)

Actually, I think Democoder, Joe DeFuria und Vince aren't up yet ;)

RussSchultz said:

Nah, they did not uncover anything at all. They just play the good old media game. Announce some "finding" which turns out fake a couple of days later. The compliant US mainstream media will make the findings front page news while the fact that it really wasn't anything noteworthy will appear a couple of days later on page 9 bottem-left corner of the NYT.

footnote . I have a friend from high school who has been in the US Army for 13 years.He was scheduled to be deployed to Iraq this week but thankfully his orders were changed. He said alot of ppl on his base thinks Bush is power hungry.
My friend called him Hitler , I was quite shocked to hear all this from him.

Funny. It's obvious to anyone with contacts in the military that there is a 180 degree difference in attitude and respect from the general military population to this President, compared to President Clinton. I was in the Army Reserves during Clinton's Presidency. At the risk of sounding extreme and being written off as a right winged wacko, I seriously didn't know one person, officer or enlisted, who didn't roll his/her eyes and crack jokes under his/her breath at the mention of Clinton's name. He had NO respect from our armed forces. None.

The friends I have still involved in active or reserve duty report completely the opposite now.

Enough with trying to undermine Bush's high level of respect with the vast, vast majority of the military with little "asides" like this story above. It's simply the exception to the rule (if a true report), and anyone involved in the military today knows that's a fact.

Nah, they did not uncover anything at all. They just play the good old media game. Announce some "finding" which turns out fake a couple of days later. The compliant US mainstream media will make the findings front page news while the fact that it really wasn't anything noteworthy will appear a couple of days later on page 9 bottem-left corner of the NYT.

Well.....the NYT article has this to say......

UPDATED THURSDAY, MAY 29, 2003 8:42 AM ET
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/29/international/worldspecial/29LABS.html

The Bush administration yesterday made public its assessment of two mysterious trailers found in Iraq, calling them mobile units to produce deadly germs and the strongest evidence yet that Saddam Hussein had been hiding a program to prepare for biological warfare......<snip>.....The Central Intelligence Agency posted the six-page assessment, "Iraqi Mobile Biological Warfare Agent Production Plants," on its Web site, www.cia.gov. The analysis was done in collaboration with the Defense Intelligence Agency.

The report and briefing, given by four intelligence officials, revealed new details beyond what government officials had previously disclosed about the two mobile factories found by allied forces in April and May.......<snip>...... The report called the discovery of the trailers "the strongest evidence to date that Iraq was hiding a biological warfare program." It also noted that Secretary of State Colin L. Powell, in his testimony before the United Nations on Feb. 5 to generate support for a war in Iraq, had detailed such charges.

Both the report and the briefing, a telephone conference call in which reporters asked questions, were careful and candid. Both had notable caveats, including the use of the words "probable" and "unlikely."

Both conceded that there were inconsistencies in the evidence and a lack of hard proof, like the presence of pathogens in trailer gear. The officials acknowledged that they had discovered neither biological agents nor evidence that the equipment had ever been used to make germ weapons.

Moreover, they said the trailer's hardware presented no direct evidence of weapons use. The best evidence of that, they said, was the trailers' close resemblance to prewar descriptions of mobile germ plants given by Iraqi sources.

A technical assessment alone "would not lead you intuitively and logically to biological warfare," an official said of the trailers.

Their gear was rusty, officials said, perhaps from sitting in the rain. And the mobile factories were poorly designed. For instance, one official noted, Iraqi biologists running the plants would have had a hard time getting raw materials into the production gear and removing multiplied colonies of deadly germs.

"Relatively inefficient but ingenious" is how one analyst described the mobile factories.

Their inefficiency, he added, was probably rooted in a decision to design the plants with enough technical ambiguity so they could be disclaimed as germ factories if discovered. Iraqi scientists have said the units were used to produce hydrogen for weather balloons. But the intelligence officials dismissed that explanation as a cover story even while conceding that the equipment could, in fact, have been used occasionally to make hydrogen......<snip>.......The report took issue with an editorial in The New York Times on May 13 that cited experts who had suggested that the trailers might have been meant to produce biopesticides or to refurbish missile fuel. Those explanations, it said, made no sense.

A skeptical view of the evidence presented yesterday came from Matthew S. Meselson, a Harvard expert on biological weapons who has advised the Central Intelligence Agency. He said the C.I.A. had made technical errors in the past and called on the government to turn over its Iraqi evidence to an independent panel.

Dr. Meselson suggested that an appropriate group might be the National Academy of Sciences, a prestigious organization in Washington that often advises the government.

So it seems that the NY Times aren't saying "it really wasn't anything noteworthy" and are trying to present a pretty balanced view.

Please everyone lets keep the topic on WMD's. I remember that Colin Powell went to the UN and stated that unequivocably, there were 100 - 500 *Tons* of Chemical weaponry in Iraq, along with hundreds of tons of Bio-weapons. And maybe a few radioactive materials to be able to form a nuclear bomb, or at the very least a radiological device.

I'm just wondering where all this went. There was so much "conclusive" evidence before the war. Where is it now? Oh my, could it be possible, just possible, that our intel was incorrect? That maybe, just maybe, Iraq really didn't have any WMDs? It's obviously too early to tell, but I seem to recall when I brought up the possibility that we wouldn't find anything after tearing up that country, I was ridiculed by a few who would be deemed "opposition" forces on this board. ;)

Frankly I do hope we find WMDs. I think we need every last shred of credibility we can muster these days, that doesn't get its strength from the end of a barrell or rocket. But I'm saddened by the fact that *no one* in the media brought up the possibility, before the war began, that we would go in there and find nothing.

And now, after a month or so of occupying Iraq, the focus has shifted from finding WMDs to "it was always about freeing the Iraqi people." I really can't stand the disingenuity of the media and our government officials at times. Nor can I stand the seeming willingness of the american public at large to just soak up whatever is given to them, even if it 180 contradicts what they've been told only months earlier.

Silent_One said:
So it seems that the NY Times aren't saying "it really wasn't anything noteworthy" and are trying to present a pretty balanced view.

I hope this is a trend that will continue. It makes me happy that a national paper like the Times is indeed picking the ball up on this one. However, quick question. Was that a front page story? Oh wait, it seems it was in the international section, which is most certainly not front page.

Do you agree that something like this be most certainly headline news? That is why we lost 50-100 american troops right? To take Saddam's toys away?

But Natoma what do you want people to say? Yove said it all. You've said....
-The US said there are 100's of TONS of WMD
-But what if their not there?
-But it's too early to tell!
-But it's possible there is none! And no one talked about that
-I talked about that
-Everone is just sheep.

You covered all the bases. :) Whats there to add?

Geeforcer said:
RussSchultz said:

Are you sure about that? It wasn't one of those "Test show its WMD.. oh wait, its not" things that happend 20 times now?

No, they pretty much confirmed that these matched the design of a mobile weapons lab that was suspected from previous intelligence reports.

Back