Dissatisfied? Warning:Long

Sounds like a big part of it is just getting older and not having friends around to constantly play Goldeneye with. There are late teens who will be talking about Halo 3 the same way 10 years from now.

That may be true, and was something I considered. I still get to play a fair amount of co-op though, and I just don't have the interest in multi-player or co-op for the games I have now even when people are available. Length is still going to be a serious issue for me I guess. (Bought Bioshock, playing through it for the second time. For some reason I don't really find the higher difficulty settings more challenging, just annoyingly difficult. Great game though.)

Kzin: I remember being promised these huge battlefields with "real geometry out there, draw distance something idiotic, like 20 kilometers" but it never materialized in the game.

One thing wich I am a little disapointed in is that the levels were larger in halo1 than in halo3. Sure, you could see real montains and stuff far away in halo3, but the spaces you could actualy go were alot smaller and confined. I dont think I can think of any battles in halo3 wich are as large and give the player as much freedom as any of the battles in the second level in halo1 (were your are rescuing the marines).
Well, the encounters in the second level of Halo were pretty localized, weren't they? I mean you'd drive a bit, then come to a forerunner structure, fight, then drive a bit more. There weren't any huge battle arenas or anything.

So I think Tsavo highway is probably as open, actually: think about all the room between each Covenant outpost in the driving sections.

But the stand-out level in Halo 3 in this regard is the Ark, which does feature massive arenas, bigger I think then anything in the original game. I mean the last LZ you have to clear is big enough for an entire frigate, Forward Unto Dawn, to land on! There are also the Scarab fights particularly the last one, in which the play arena is absolutely massive.

Theres a similar place i tsavo highway where you are bunkered down, and wave after wave of brutes comes pouring in. You basicaly stuck behind the wall, and they attack from one direction.
They attack you from whichever direction you're coming from. When I first played this part, on Heroic, I stayed on top of the hill, and dealt with the incoming brutes. When I played on Legendary, I kept to the left (by the concrete tubes), and again, the jetpack Brutes would try to flank me and take me out with their Carbines. When I then tried to secretly make way to up the hill from the far left, they were there to meet me.

In any battle in the first level of halo1 you have a much larger playfield, they attack from many directions, you have much more options and the battles can play out in so many different ways.
Maybe you have more areas to attack from, but how is that any different from say, the first part of the level The Covenant? Or the run on the AA gun in the level, The Storm?

Back