GameSpot give Metroid Prime 9.7/10!!!!!!!!

Nexiss

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone from Retro make such a comment. I would probably say something similar (and here, please note that Quincy did not say precisely that the guy said and so we can't judge what he actually said), that is that it doesn't deserve such a high score. Sometimes the creator can be the harshest critic, they always feel they can improve.

See, you get the idea :) Unlike some people around here, it is possible to look at something objectively. I'm glad someone picked up on what I was saying there.

if you look objectively at something, you realize you can do better. That's just what my friend Mark was doing. that and he's a 3d engine person so no doubt he knows there's room for improvement.

Tmeister,

Your comment that Prime would be getting lesser scores if it wasn't a Metroid game is rubbish AFAICS! You haven't even played the game. So how the hell do you know it should get a lesser score? Why don't I hear you questioning any big XBox reviews?.. hmm I wonder.

Metroid Prime is getting such high review scores because it deserves them

*applauds Teasy for not cutting and/or pasting once!!*

Not bad, but that sort of sticks out! You haven't played the game either, so how should you know if it deserves said scores? ;)

I hate N and all, but I really do think that many overwhelmingly positive conceptions about the game were formed due to the nostalgia factor associated with the Metroid's of yesteryear. Sort of like Mario, Zelda, and well, Halo 2 (Cept Metroid's much heavier on the nostalgia)!

Personally, I don't really care how good the game actually is, but if it keeps people from killing each other or snorting cocaine for a few hours, all the more power to 'em!

I just think that licenses/franchises are a very powerful thing, and when one is ressurected from the dead after X number of years, the baseline hype/expectations for that title are artificially high, and may not be indicative of the final product (I skipped the PSX gen, but I think MGS/MGS2 is a good example of this).

All that said, if say... Crystalis (NES a-RPG), Streets of Rage, or Splatterhouse weres announced for next-gen systems, I'd squeel without thinking twice too ;)

zurich

ps: I kind of lost track of what I was writting, but I hope I made a point somewhere in there!

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone from Retro make such a comment. I would probably say something similar (and here, please note that Quincy did not say precisely that the guy said and so we can't judge what he actually said), that is that it doesn't deserve such a high score. Sometimes the creator can be the harshest critic, they always feel they can improve.

I'm sure devs can be very harsh critics of there own work. But I doubt that someone who was just part of a 3 year development on a game with an undoubtedly exceptional engine (a engine that looks equal to anything out on any system and runs at 60fps solid) would then say that the graphics didn't deserve a 9 or of 10.. do you? I mean what would he think is deserves?.. the next level down, a 8? Would any dev who worked on MP really say it deserved only a 8 for graphics? I don't believe that when I look at this game.

I'm sure devs can be very harsh critics of there own work. But I doubt that someone who was just part of a 3 year development on a game with an undoubtedly exceptional engine (a engine that looks equal to anything out on any system and runs at 60fps solid) would then say that the graphics didn't deserve a 9 or of 10.. do you? I mean what would he think is deserves?.. the next level down, a 8? Would any dev who worked on MP really say it deserved only a 8 for graphics? I don't believe that when I look at this game.

It all depends on IF they think and/or know they can make it look even better. There's always room for improvement. As far as I've seen, not very many devs out there are so happy that they think a game can't be improved on the next time around.

Also who said the he was thinking it deserved an 8? i didn't say that. for all you and I know he was thinking 8.5.

Not bad, but that sort of sticks out! You haven't played the game either, so how should you know if it deserves said scores?

Yeah but I'm not questioning the review though. To question the reviews of this game in the way he did he surely should have to have played this game. Otherwise he should just trust the reviews. AFAICS nobody has any reason to believe that the reviews are overatting this game based on its licence at this point, especially with a PS2 editor being part of one of the reviews.

It all depends on IF they think and/or know they can make it look even better. There's always room for improvement.

Absolutely, there is deffinately room for improvement to the visuals given that it runs at a solid 60fps (but then isn't the whole engine, with includes how smooth it runs, part of how good the graphics are?). But a 9 does leave room for improvement.

This games graphics engine is the best on GameCube and possibly the best on any system right now and so it does deserve at least a 9 for its graphics engine.

But a 9 does leave room for improvement.

yeah, but not much room.

This games graphics engine is the best on GameCube and possibly the best on any system right now and so it does deserve at least a 9 for its graphics engine.

It's certainly the best on the gamecube. What the graphics engine itself deserves isn't up to me, I didn't code it and I don't have any ideas on what could be done better. I'd rely on the programer for that. the 9 rating was mostly for the visuals from what I can tell.

Also who said the he was thinking it deserved an 8? i didn't say that. for all you and I know he was thinking 8.5.

I said 8 because that's the next score down with IGN. They only use whole numbers for stuff like that.

It's certainly the best on the gamecube. What the graphics engine itself deserves isn't up to me, I didn't code it and I don't have any ideas on what could be done better. I'd rely on the programer for that. the 9 rating was mostly for the visuals from what I can tell.

Then what was the point of your comment with regard to any MP review? It seemed like you were using the comment from someone at Retro to discredit the MP review. As you said above how would the reviewer know what can be improved? Just like you he wouldn't. All he see's is the visuals, the smoothness of the engine ect and so he gives it a 9, which it most deffinately deserves IMO (more then a 9 from my own viewpoint).

A serious question here, independent of the rest of this post. Looking at the visuals MP puts out on GameCube, and the framerate it keeps with such a massive seemless world, do you think its graphics deserve anything less then a 9?

I don't see why somebody from Retro (that had a GOTY candidate on their hands, no less) would say something like "Oh, IGN gave us a 9.8 review and I don't think that Metroid Prime is that good. Hey IGN, could ya knock our score down please?"

It just doesn't make any sense. If I made a AAA masterpiece that took 3 frickin' years to complete, I would be proud to see it get masterpiece-level reviews. If I threw together a sucky paint-ball game using the BUILD engine that was supposed to suck, and it got a 9.8/10 review.. then I might be a little bit iffy. :)

said 8 because that's the next score down with IGN. They only use whole numbers for stuff like that.

See, that's another thing that doesn't make sense. they giv eyou a bunch of catagories and then only use whole numbers in them. Then they give you a final score that doesn't reflect those other numbers and they don't use whle number there either. They have a fucked up reviewing system. That was my complaint about hockey.

Then what was the point of your comment with regard to any MP review? It seemed like you were using the comment from someone at Retro to discredit the MP review.

I'm not using it to discredit the metroid prime review, I'm just used that as an example of someone that thinks things can get better. someone that can look at thier own creation objectively.

As you said above how would the reviewer know what can be improved? Just like you he wouldn't.

I just SAID that who knows what can be imporved on from a technical/code point of view with the 3D engine. But also as I menationed the score they give has more to do withthe actual graphics/visuals then the technical side of the game.

All he see's is the visuals, the smoothness of the engine ect and so he gives it a 9, which it most deffinately deserves IMO (more then a 9 from my own viewpoint).

That's obviously not all that he sees. I'm sure he sees pretty graphics too, not ONLY how smooth the framerate is. Nice texturing, modeling, and animation. That's what the majority of the score is made from.

Also, I'm going to check with Mark to see if the game is really running at 60fps, or 30fps. I still don't believe that most people can tell that correctly by eyeballing it. i'll also see if I can get some other technical info about the engine/graphics.

A serious question here, independent of the rest of this post. Looking at the visuals MP puts out on GameCube, and the framerate it keeps with such a massive seemless world, do you think its graphics deserve anything less then a 9?

As I said before teasy, i wasn't complainign about the actual score it got. I was interested in some of the things the reviewer said, that either contradicted what he actually gave it. I'm more interested in looking into the practices of the reviewers then playing a game of my score/dick is bigger than yours.

I agree about the defective review system. Years ago, I ran a small site dedicated to gaming, and I used the following review system:

Must-buy
"Keeper"
Rental
Don't bother

And then I let the narratives tell the rest of the story.

What more do you need? Ultimately, these overly complicated number systems can't be very accurate.

Kolgar

Qroach: Metroid Prime is running at 60fps.

I played the demo, and it's extremely easy to "eyeball" a 30/60fps framerate in a 3D game on a TV. You don't agree?

Maybe some folks' eyes have a harder time, I dunno..

Captain: Quincy is right, try to read more carefully. I didn't say that Metroid Prime slows down to 30fps.. :)

I said that I can easily eyeball the difference between 30fps (Halo, Mario Sunshine) and 60fps. (Metroid Prime, Timesplitters 2)

Qroach:

> hardly, because I own both platforms. what do YOU own?

I love how owning something justifies constantly putting it down.

> i didn't say that. for all you and I know he was thinking 8.5.

An 8.5 would be rounded to a 9 at IGNcube. Try again.

> Also, I'm going to check with Mark to see if the game is really running
> at 60fps, or 30fps.

It's running at 60 fps. Anyway, you're telling me that Mark Johnston complained about IGN overrating Metroid's gfx? A score which encompasses both technical and artistical achievements? If so are his complaints about just one or the other? What about the game itself... how does he feel about that?

I just SAID that who knows what can be imporved on from a technical/code point of view with the 3D engine. But also as I menationed the score they give has more to do withthe actual graphics/visuals then the technical side of the game.

No it doesn't. Read the graphics part of the review at the end (the part were they give it a 9):

A stunning art vision that deserves major recognition, jaw-dropping world architecture, and volumes of pretty textures. At 60 fps with progressive scan support, there are few that compare.

Clearly they're looking at the engine as a whole since they not only mention how the game looks but also how smooth the game run (60fps).

That's obviously not all that he sees. I'm sure he sees pretty graphics too, not ONLY how smooth the framerate is. Nice texturing, modeling, and animation. That's what the majority of the score is made from.

I said "all he see's is the visuals, the smoothness of the engine ect". I'd say the visuals would count as the pretty graphics wouldn't you?

Also, I'm going to check with Mark to see if the game is really running at 60fps

I can save you the time on that one, it is running at 60fps. I didn't get that from looking at the game either. I got that from Retro's whole team (well the big guys in the team anyway, which included Mark Pacini if that's who you mean when you say Mark) as well as Miyamoto himself. This was from a roundtable discussion about the game on IGN.

As I said before teasy, i wasn't complainign about the actual score it got.

I was only asking a straight question, independent from the rest of my post. I just wanted to know where you yourself stand on this. When you look at this game and its engine, what score would you give?

Another review is in:

PGC gives a perfect 10/10.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=profile&id=231

It’s hard not to wax poetic about the experience that is Metroid Prime, but there has not been a sequel this true to its heritage, yet fresh and new since … well, since Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Both are considered excellent and near perfect games, one prompting the evolution of an entire industry, and the other a pinnacle of game design. Well, Nintendo better make room on their awards wall, because Prime is on track to make those games look like Fischer Price toys. Prime successfully punctuates Nintendo’s commitment to the “mature” gamer, and does it without pandering or compromising the product. It’s a dark, gritty, immersive title and one that no GameCube owner should be allowed to miss without submitting himself to some serious corporal punishment.

Seems like (with all the reviews coming in) that Prime is a shoo-in for Game of the Year.

I can't wait to pick up my copy this afternoon. I'm also going to pick up a Dolby Pro-logic II setup while I'm at the mall to truly enjoy the audio :D

Ozy: I'm pretty sure that it doesn't make a difference if you have PLII. I have a PLI system and I get perfect surround in games. Julian Eggebrecht (misspelling.. :)) from Factor 5 says that PLII works with PLI systems. Just letting ya know.

Back