GameSpot give Metroid Prime 9.7/10!!!!!!!!

My favorite misconception is that Luigi's Mansion is a platformer.

Apparently if it has a mascot character, it's a platformer now.. gameplay has nothing to do with it. :D :rolleyes:

i don't know why democoder seems very annoyed because of metroid being a so great game...

perhaps because he'll finally have to buy a gamecube because of that ? :)

A lot of the review sounds like "Well, this feature or lack of one sounds like it might suck ass, but let me explain why it doesn't"

I mean, nothing in this review really sounds innovative and the control system for strafing and up/down look sounds like it sucks ass.

If the guy is trying to explain why parts of the game that typically might be thought of initially as bad are actually not bad at all, wouldn't you say that sounds like innovation? Take the controls, people who haven't played the game wouldn't understand how good the controls are, because it just hasn't ever been done successfully before now.. that is innovation mate!

Really Demo, you sound annoyed to find out how good Metroid Prime is. Your post sounds like nothing but total denial "No Metroid Prime isn't good.. it isn't, I'M NOT LISTENING!!.. lalalalalala" :)

Actually, demo isn't saying anything about the game itself, he's analyzing the revew at game spot. I think Demo's point is that when they say there's drawbacks to the game and then come up with a reason why is shouldn't be penalized for it, then something in the review is slightly off.

The thing i consistently see with reviews is that other games get penalized for these drawbacks and the reviewers don't come up with reasons on why it's better. They just give the game a lower score. NHL2K3 is a eprfect example. read the review at IGn and the person doesn't copmpare it to the cmopetition at all, and goes on to say the game isn't as polished as other sega sports games, yet even though the game is MORE polished then the copeting hockey games.

let me put it this way. if this was any other game without the Metroid license, you just know it wouldn't have gotten a score so high. I'm sure many people would not admit that... so feel free to NOT reply teasy, because I'm not talking directly to you anyway.

I know one of the programers still left (out of the 32 people Retro still have) and he actually said that the score IGN gave it for graphics was BS. It got a 9.7 out of 10 if I remember correct, and he though that should be lower.

Qroach said:
Actually, demo isn't saying anything about the game itself, he's analyzing the revew at game spot. I think Demo's point is that when they say there's drawbacks to the game and then come up with a reason why is shouldn't be penalized for it, then something in the review is slightly off.

The thing i consistently see with reviews is that other games get penalized for these drawbacks and the reviewers don't come up with reasons on why it's better. They just give the game a lower score. NHL2K3 is a eprfect example. read the review at IGn and the person doesn't copmpare it to the cmopetition at all, and goes on to say the game isn't as polished as other sega sports games, yet even though the game is MORE polished then the copeting hockey games.

let me put it this way. if this was any other game without the Metroid license, you just know it wouldn't have gotten a score so high. I'm sure many people would not admit that... so feel free to NOT reply teasy, because I'm not talking directly to you anyway.

I know one of the programers still left (out of the 32 people Retro still have) and he actually said that the score IGN gave it for graphics was BS. It got a 9.7 out of 10 if I remember correct, and he though that should be lower.

that was the most fanboyish pile of horseshit I have ever heard.......
three reviews now, only one from a cube site, IGN is the one who gave it the lowest graphics score out of the three, your BUDDY sounds like a jealous POS who missed out on a great success, obviously he couldnt handle living up to Nintendos standards, so he bailed to make crappy games somewhere.

its not just 3 reviews either
its 3 folks from EGM all giving it a perfect 10
1 guy from Cube.IGN, two from PS2.ign, all agreeing with its 9.8 score
1 guy from gamespot giving it a 9.7

so thats a total of 8 people so far, one of which one of the biggest cube haters out there(read his editorial on PS2.ign.com). You can cry foul all you want, but in the end, its just that, Crying...

If there is no option to turn off the stupid bob, I will give this game a freaking score of 0.3 :devilish:

Well damn how much "lower" of a score should MP get for it's graphics. Damn from what I've seen so far..which is alot (Iv'e got 37 movies plus the Nintendo DVD) IGN's 9.7/10 for graphics is about right. WTF is not to like?

Hmmm let's see:

1)MP looks better (or at least as good as) any game released to date.

2)MP runs at a solid 60fps (read not a shakey 30fps) throughout.

3)MP has some of the best artwork and detailed textures of any game to date.

4)MP has some pretty hefty geometry throughout huge environments with incredible modeled enemies and bosses. Probably one of the best graphics engines ever developed.

5)MP has very large beautiful vistas and landscapes that interconnect with no load times at all.

6)MP has some of the best particle effects and lighting I've seen in a game to date.

About the only thing Retro was'nt concerned with was bump mapping. It's clear they went for superb detail and artistry rather than embossing any textures. But this maybe one reason the game runs at 60 fps. I think a 9's for graphics is in order..yay for Retro.

Goldni:

> IGN's 9.7/10 for graphics is about right.

IGN gave the gfx 9 out 10, overall score was 9.7/10. Anyway, you should just ignore Quincy's flame bait. He's a troll who hides behind his developer status. Him and his imaginary friends at Retro are getting rather old indeed.

cybamerc said:
Goldni:

> IGN's 9.7/10 for graphics is about right.

IGN gave the gfx 9 out 10, overall score was 9.7/10. Anyway, you should just ignore Quincy's flame bait. He's a troll who hides behind his developer status. Him and his imaginary friends at Retro are getting rather old indeed.

that would explain his distaste for Metroid Prime, its kind of a
Penis Envy scenario...

that was the most fanboyish pile of horseshit I have ever heard.......

This is typical nonsense from you and your friend cybermerc. you didn't even read my post before responding. It's just an opinion. NOBODY here is even saying the game sucks or anything like that, but just questioning how some of the reviewer actually review games. Basically, you and your opinon on what I say can kiss my @ss for all I care. I'm not going to stop posting about the thing i want to talk about.

three reviews now, only one from a cube site, IGN is the one who gave it the lowest graphics score out of the three, [.quote]

Am i complaining about all the reviews? Am I complaining about the scores? NO, I'm only question the practices of some of the reviewers out there. Mainly that they aren't consistent... Also, by the way you're acting, you know I'm correct in that if this wasn't a game withthe metroid franchise, or nintendo name on it, it wouldn't get rated nearly as high. That's just a fact in the reviewing community.

your BUDDY sounds like a jealous POS who missed out on a great success, obviously he couldnt handle living up to Nintendos standards, so he bailed to make crappy games somewhere.

What the hell are you talking about. You didn't read a single thing I wrote before you went in to fanboy mode. I'm talking about one of the people that still works there!! Not the person that left a year ago. Stop jumping to conclusions and pay attention!!

so thats a total of 8 people so far, one of which one of the biggest cube haters out there(read his editorial on PS2.ign.com). You can cry foul all you want, but in the end, its just that, Crying...

You are completely incapable of looking objectively at anything. you AND cybermerc for that matter.

Penis Envy scenario...

What envy? Quincy owns a Game Cube, thus he can play it, thus there's no bias or envy here.

He's a troll who hides behind his developer status. Him and his imaginary friends at Retro are getting rather old indeed.

Your needless, incessent flaming is getting rather old.

zurich said:
Penis Envy scenario...

What envy? Quincy owns a Game Cube, thus he can play it, thus there's no bias or envy here.

He's a troll who hides behind his developer status. Him and his imaginary friends at Retro are getting rather old indeed.

Your needless, incessent flaming is getting rather old.

I was talking about the success of the game, havent seen one to his credit that anyone gave a rats arse about, yet he thinks himself an expert on whats good and bad.

I was talking about the success of the game, havent seen one to his credit that anyone gave a rats arse about, yet he thinks himself an expert on whats good and bad.

This shows how much blind fanboism there is around. You say something and don't even critize the game, and people resort to flames like this. next time actually read what's written before responding.

...and for your information, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF THE GAME!

Qroach said:

This shows how much blind fanboism there is around. You say something and don't even critize the game, and people resort to flames like this. next time actually read what's written before responding.

...and for your information, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF THE GAME!

your trying to find every little subtle way of saying there is something wrong with the reviews out there, because YOUR A TrOLL!!!!, face it your as much an anti-Nintendo troll as I am an anti Xbox troll, actually moreso, because when Xbox has a AAA game, I at least can say, yup, thats a darn good game(ala Mech Assault, Splinter Cell, Rallisport).

and your remarks about "my friend works for Retro, and he says the graphics dont deserve that score", man that is just plain utter BS, you always know someone with some BS remarks against Nintendo.

your trying to find every little subtle way of saying there is something wrong with the reviews out there, because YOUR A TrOLL!!!!

i've been complaining about online reviews for a VERY LONG time, but you're obviously too much biased fanboy to realize that. i was just complaining about reviews on a hockey game in my post. a game that availbile on all platforms, yet you reject that as well. You're blind as blind can be.

, face it your as much an anti-Nintendo troll as I am an anti Xbox troll, actually moreso,

hardly, because I own both platforms. what do YOU own?

because when Xbox has a AAA game, I at least can say, yup, thats a darn good game(ala Mech Assault, Splinter Cell, Rallisport).

Oh bullshit. Yes i remember your comments on Starfox clearly. the ONLY Nintendo branded title you had anything bad to say about. I wonder why.

and your remarks about "my friend works for Retro, and he says the graphics dont deserve that score", man that is just plain utter BS, you always know someone with some BS remarks against Nintendo.

As i said before, you cn kiss my @ss for all i care. perhaps there's aproblem with YOu becuase you intantly defend and don't beleive anything anyone says if it doesn't jive with you nintendo always does right attitude. Shit even people working at retro can look at something objectively.

uhm, Starfox isnt the only Ninteno franchise I dont like, its not the only Rare title I dont like (Donkey Kong 64 was a big ole steaming POS, but even it isnt as bad as Starfox adventures). and you can talk all day because I dont like it, whats even funnier, is its the first Rare game you ever praised, why is that?

Metroid is my favorite game of all time, Ive beaten the demo many times, so I have walked away with a pretty darned good impression of the game.. and it lives up to the review, so ONLINE reviews are your problem? okkkkk... last time I checked EGM was a magazine, and it gave Metroid Prime 10-10-10...

whats your excuse now?(and what does you bitching about a hockey game have to do with your bitching about a Metroid score)...

I read what you said, and no matter how much you want to deny or hide it, your an Anti-Nintendo Zeolot, and owning a Nintendo system doesnt change that as long as you constantly bash anything thats not on Xbox, People in the south owned slaves, didnt make them any less racist.

and yes, I am calling you a liar about this GUY YOU KNOW, I hear that every time you want to back up some BS. If anyone would work so hard and so long on something, then gripe about the people who praise the product of all that labor, that only reflects badly on themselves, because they are responsible for how that product turned out.

I dont believe Retros Janitor would associate with you much less one of the Devs.

Come off it Quincy. Demo's swipe at the review is nothing but a thinly vaild attack on the game itself.

He says that the reviewer mentions allot of things that may sound as if they're bad but explains that they're actually good. Then he says that the game sounds like it isn't innovative. Does that make sense at all?

If the reviewer is basically saying "this typically would be bad, because its unusual in this type of game, but its actually excellent in this game because they've pulled it off like no'one has before" then that actually screems innovation!

Then he says that he thinks that the controls sound like they "suck ass". He hasn't even played the bloody game, and he wonders why the reviewer is "making excuses" :rolleyes: Because the reviewer knows there are people like him out there that can't see how something like this can be so good, because this sort of thing (single stick controls in a first person game in this game) has always been rubbish in the past. Because the reviewer has played a game that does things that no other game has ever done successfully, and until he actually plays the game some of it may sound like it "sucks ass" because in past experiences it has "sucked ass".

He also claims that all the reviews so far have been people who have made their minds up about the game before even playing it. He has no facts to suggest that AT ALL. Infact one of the guys who partly reviewed the game on IGN was a PS2 editor!

Your comment that Prime would be getting lesser scores if it wasn't a Metroid game is rubbish AFAICS! You haven't even played the game. So how the hell do you know it should get a lesser score? Why don't I hear you questioning any big XBox reviews?.. hmm I wonder.

Metroid Prime is getting such high review scores because it deserves them. In fact with such a hefty expectation behind this game with allot of people (including some reviewers), if this game hadn't been as amazing it was it would be getting worse scores then it should not the other way around. Because people who love a particular series of games are the harshest critics there is. Metroid Prime is getting these sorts of scores because it lived up to, and surpassed, any expectation that any reviewer so far had of it.

Also I find it extremely hard to believe that you know anyone from Retro that told you Metroid Prime did not deserve a 9 rating for graphics. Why?.. because even you can surely see it does deserve that score, so I douby a guy that slaved over this game for years thinks otherwise.

BTW no IGN didn't give Prime's graphics 9.7, IGN only give whole numbers for those parts of the review and Prime got a 9.. which it easily deserves.

P.S, sorry if you didn't want me to reply, but frankly I don't give a shit what you want mate!

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone from Retro make such a comment. I would probably say something similar (and here, please note that Quincy did not say precisely that the guy said and so we can't judge what he actually said), that is that it doesn't deserve such a high score. Sometimes the creator can be the harshest critic, they always feel they can improve.

and you can talk all day because I dont like it, whats even funnier, is its the first Rare game you ever praised, why is that?

See, this is what I mean by you being blind. I've been saying for over a year, long before any Rare rumors appeared that there was only two reason to buy a Nintendo console. Nintendo games and rare games. No, Starfox isn't the only rare game I praised. I've praised the majority of their games out there. They've made far too many hit games to say that they've "lost their touch" or imply that they now suck. It's the only rare game I praised recently, becuase it's the only rare game I've played recently, go figure! Your statement is a steaming pile of BS.

last time I checked EGM was a magazine, and it gave Metroid Prime 10-10-10...

Would you get your facts straight? I was talking about one review in peticular, the same one demo pointed out. I don't have a thing to say about the other reviews, because I haven't read them.

whats your excuse now?(and what does you bitching about a hockey game have to do with your bitching about a Metroid score)...

what does it have to do? It shows that I've been complaining about review practices on games other than just Nintendo games, as you suggest. The fact you can't understand something so simple explains a lot about you.

I read what you said, and no matter how much you want to deny or hide it, your an Anti-Nintendo Zeolot, and owning a Nintendo system doesnt change that as long as you constantly bash anything thats not on Xbox, People in the south owned slaves, didnt make them any less racist.

1. you're a zealot, troll, etc...
2. talking about a review is NOT bashing nintendo.
3. nice analogy you fucking moron!!! i happen to be black thank you, and I don't need some fucking idiot like yourself to tell me ANYTHING about slavery. That just shows how ignorant you really are.

and yes, I am calling you a liar about this GUY YOU KNOW, I hear that every time you want to back up some BS.

You can call me whatever you want. You'll be a fool for doing so. I happen to know a lot of people in the industry, that sort of thing happens after 9 years.

If anyone would work so hard and so long on something, then gripe about the people who praise the product of all that labor, that only reflects badly on themselves, because they are responsible for how that product turned out.

Once again, it shows what you know. For one thing he didn't grip about people that praised his product. he just didnt' agree with the graphics score. Obviously he's NOT pig headed enough to think this is the best they can do graphically and there's room for improvement. It's called being objective, try it!

I dont believe Retros Janitor would associate with you much less one of the Devs.
ha, this shows babdly on you. Unless retro has one of the lead programmers cleaning floors...

Back