Metroid Prime 2 thread (some new info?)

Bohdy

Regular
Some new Metroid Prime 2 impressions have been posted at www.puissance-nintendo.com but unfortunately being French and all they are somewhat difficult to validate ;)

Here is a machine translation cleaned up by someone from the Ign Metroid forum:

A playable demonstration of Metroid Prime 2 circulated two days ago within Nintendo. Is it the one we will see in E3? For the moment no one knows (fingers are crossed) but this demonstration caused much noise and was truly impressive. The technology will be the most advanced on the 128 bit Nintendo, pushing its limitations...

New special effects were developed by Retro Studios. These programming "visual effects" are drawn from the latest and freshest library source on the GameCube. The lead programmer explained in the last private meeting before E3: "the fact that Metroid Prime is an FPS allows a polygon gain because one does not model the hero, which allows a new management of the visuals. This enabled us to insert the latest special effects developed at Nintendo. There is almost no drop in animation which was our principal concern (...) The atmosphere will be more supernatural and the player will identify even more with Samus' conscience. What she will see will perhaps be only the fruit of her imagination... The programming takes much time and to promise a release for 2004 is a very difficult bet."

If Samus consciousness is really deteriorated by mirages or hallucinations, it will be a first on consoles to be confused by an FPS. But where Retro Studio will stop?! Waiting for the new demonstration will be very very difficult! What a year!

Seems fairly credible, but even if its fake its about time we start getting excited for this game anyway :D

I'm sure you all still recall the first one, right? 8)

Edit: Oh and by "animation" I'm pretty sure they were referring to framerate, which will still be a smooth 60 by the sound of it.

From Matt at IGN CUBE:

Matt responds: You won't have to. It'll be playable at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004 in May and you'll likely see some coverage on the title in magazines before that. Look out for some play enhancements, more third-person elements and morphball puzzles, prettier graphics and at least one new visor mode that's sure to please.

Oh man can't wait. MP still impresses me. But the quotes about "not having to model the hero" sounds untrue. I mean Metroid , of all FPS, has ALOT of switching to 3rd person mode ie morph ball and the amazing animation showing the transition and the ball is a quite a few polys itself.

But when the game shows Samus herself it's not drawing the visor, so it probably pretty much evens out that way.

They are switching to a portal engine for this game, so that should save them some performance for other areas of the graphics. clipping doors against rooms can cut back on drawing unseen geometry.

Ingenu said:
I thought by now all 3D engine were portal/sector based...
For something like Metroid Prime (with the rooms connected corridors / doors) the advantages of a portal engine are not immediately obvious -- in particular as the "standard situation" in the first game was being in a room with all exit doors closed (i.e. "manual portals").
So, I don't have a clue how that is going to help a lot (unless the level design has changed drastically).
In any case, I am immensely looking forward to this game. :D

_phil_ said:
little OT , but anyway :
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000480930

john Woo to make a Metroid Prime movie ?...

I am not entirely familiar with Woo's work (although the phase "ridiculously overblown action" does come to mind ;-)) but this certainly looks more promising than the first time Metroid was optioned...

Heck, some hardcore Samus-flipping, Metroid 'sploding action would kick some major arse... well, as long as they don't try to make a "real" movie out of it, because I don't think that will work very well. Ie, if no-one but Metroid fans will like it then I'm all for it :D

Back