Fortnite

Up to 105% more pixels on X compared to the Pro version. It's a pretty standard difference now.
Well in this case, Pro has motion blur and further draw distance on grass (motion blur is enabled in 30fps mode on X). Perhaps Epic felt that instead of pushing the resolution higher, they decided to limit it to 1080p and push the visuals higher.

Last edited:
This game is really blowing up and getting into the mainstream. Even celebrities and athletes are tweeting about it.

On twitch, Fortnite and PUBG would trade blows, but lately Fortnite is dominating during peak NA hours. Some streamers are really benefiting from the popularity, with one guy getting 80k+ viewers a day, when he would only get ~5000k just a few months ago (which is still quite good).

Yeah, one of the big problems facing PUBG right now is that cheating and hacking is out of control on the PC version at the moment. Lots of people that used to play it constantly on PC (especially streamers) no longer are even touching the game now because of that. Seems it's mostly coming out of China where PC Bangs actually rent out cheat packages for PUBG for customers.

Hence why I speculated on another thread, that perhaps PUBG being the 2nd best selling title for Jan. on XBO (4th on all SKU list) is partly due to PC players switching to XBO in order to play it without all the cheating and hacking.

Pc has anti cheat now and matchmaking based on ping, which should improve things. I think the desert map was unpopular, so I imagine content fatigue is a big issue.

Up to 105% more pixels on X compared to the Pro version. It's a pretty standard difference now.
Well, as in many other games (like with Titan fall 2 for instance with a hard limit at 1440p on Pro), 1080p is the max resolution and the usual resolution pixel counted on Pro, so we don't know high it could get if the max available was like 1440p or so. Would be better to compare min resolutions of both systems IMO: respectively 856p and 1040p.

Which gives around 50% more pixels on X.

Also, listening to the Co-optional podcast right now, and it's interesting to hear how much Epic are paying Twitch streamers to stream Fortnite. Basically they are investing more money into Twitch stream sponsorships than most games can dream of having as a development budget.

TotalBiscuit got offered 5 or 6 different sponsorship packages and Jesse Cox got offered 5 different packages. And they don't even stream Battle Royale type games. The big streamers got offered far more lucrative deals than they got offered.

Regards,
SB

Some interesting things I've heard just now.

Fortnite has passed Minecraft in hourly views on YouTube!

Fortnite is one of the top or the top app on iOS now and likely is the major contributor to the above as the one followed the other. Drake appearing on Ninja's stream also probably helped a lot.

Assuming the mobile app continues to take off and potentially dominates in user sessions, will Epic focus more on the mobile version of the game than the console or PC version of the game?

Regards,
SB

This game has over 40M users and is the biggest game out right now, so it's obvious the mobile app launch will be huge. That said, it's never going to get priority over the console/PC versions. While it's good that they're expanding and all, the mobile version is there more to compliment the console/PC versions, thanks to the cross-platform player progression. Existing players can play on the go and keep working on their progression when they're not at home.

This game doesn't really need any more exposure, but Drake appearing on Ninja's stream definitely opened more doors and is most likely the reason for the increase in youtube views. To have one of the biggest musicians in the world playing with one of the best players in the world is huge. Not gonna lie I watched it for a bit as I'm a fan of Drake's music and the game, so it was pretty entertaining. Not to mention Travis Scott (another big rapper) and Juju (NFL player) also being on the squad made it even more epic. And it's not like this was just a publicity stunt, all of these guys actually play the game.

They were able to smash the single streamer viewer count at over 600K viewers, and this was basically at midnight. Ninja has exponentially increased his viewer/sub count thanks in large part to this game. With the twitch prime exclusive Fortnite skins skins, Drake appearing on his stream, and Fortnite blowing up, he has something like over 200k subscribers and is making over $500K a month just on subscriptions alone. Obviously all of those subs won't stay, but that's pretty insane considering most big streamers only get a fraction of that.

As I improve in this game, the more I enjoy it. It has a really steep learning curve with the building (which is a huge part of the skill gap), and people keep getting better and better. I consider myself pretty decent at MP games, but I honestly don't see myself becoming really good at this game... the building in high level play is just too much. That said, me and my squad still get our share of wins and I'm loving the game. I have to mostly rely on my gun skill, and my building is just good enough that I can hold my own and protect myself. I can't really play how I want to play, which is aggressively, because the controls are just too complex for me to be able to build and fight fast enough. If I ever get there though, I think it will become pretty decent at it.

Last edited:
The iOS version is now making over 1.8 million USD...per day and continues to grow. That is pretty amazing.

I wonder how the Android, PC, and console versions compare to that.

Regards,
SB

The iOS version is now making over 1.8 million USD...per day and continues to grow. That is pretty amazing.

I wonder how the Android, PC, and console versions compare to that.

Regards,
SB
The Android version isn't out yet AFAIK.

I don't have any numbers, but I can maybe provide some perspective.

Fortnite has a thing called the 'battle pass' which costs 950 V-Bucks (Fortnite's in-game currency), which translates to about $10USD. It gives you extra challenges and unlockables, which includes skins and more V-Bucks... enough to pay for the next battle pass if you complete just over 50% of it. Premium skins in this game can cost as high as 2000 (or the equivalent to about $20USD) and people actually buy them, but skins range from harvesting tools, to character skins, to emotes etc., and can be as low as just 200 V-Bucks.

Even me, someone who is really conservative with my money and usually doesn't spend extra money on games if I don't have to, bought the battle pass. I figured I play the game enough, and it's a small something to support Epic, who have supported the game really well.

Now consider that Fortnite had over 40M players before they even announced the mobile version. The game is massive, so it's easy to see that they're probably making a ton of money from this game, even though it's F2P.

edit: Also worth mentioning is that I believe anything purchased within the mobile version can be used in the console/PC version as well.

Last edited:
I think this shows that cosmetics are a viable business option. You need to force players into pay-to-win or to lock content behind RNG. That said, the game is massive, so the revenue per player may be lower on average versus games using scummy monetisation but Epic can get away with it just by being so huge.

Something to think about as well. Before Epic copied PUBG, Fortnite was headed towards becoming the worst disaster that Epic had ever made. Virtually overnight they've turned things around for the game by introducing the Battle Royale mode.

Battle Royal isn't even the main part of the game. Although I'm pretty sure absolutely no development is going into the base game (horde tower defense with construction and crafting) anymore and everything is being poured into the BR mode and cosmetics.

Regards,
SB

Something to think about as well. Before Epic copied PUBG, Fortnite was headed towards becoming the worst disaster that Epic had ever made. Virtually overnight they've turned things around for the game by introducing the Battle Royale mode.

Battle Royal isn't even the main part of the game. Although I'm pretty sure absolutely no development is going into the base game (horde tower defense with construction and crafting) anymore and everything is being poured into the BR mode and cosmetics.

Regards,
SB
While the original game was a frankenstein of concepts from minecraft, GoW's horde mode (which itself was a frankenstein of Regular Gears and Tower Defence) and Team Fortress (mostly thematically here).
This game, along with many of the more popular multiplayers out now, is a poster child of designing by market trends instead of creativity. Its craft over art.

And it worked.
Definetly. Shows how the industry matured. It used to be the case this concept of "design by comitee" failed more often than not last gen, and on previous ones, with way to many me_too clones of popular franchises. It seems modern designers learned how to learn the lessons of other games while finding their own niche. The constant refinement through player data analysis, both colected by the game AND by watching the many hours of commented gameplay freely provided by the gamers themselves, and weekly updates certainly helped a lot.

I don't think it's fair to call Fortnite a straight clone of PUBG. I mean they copied the core game mechanics: 100 players drop into the map with a shrinking zone and random loot. But that's basically where the similarities end. Shrinking zone is basically essential to this type of game, to force people to fight in such a large map -- otherwise games would literally take forever.

Epic took the core game mechanics, streamlined the looting, made it more accessible, added a building mechanic, polished it up and constantly update it with fixes and new content. It plays completely different... it's significantly faster paced. If you just look at them from the outside, it just looks like a cartoony PUBG with building. But if you actually play both, you'll know that they are very different games.

I think Fortnite has surpassed PUBG mainly because it's more accessible, it's more polished/better supported, and it's free. Because it's not supposed to be a realistic shooter like PUBG, it's also easier for Epic to add content, such as fun weapons, items and skins etc., to keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly. Fortnite is the more casual friendly BR while PUBG is far more "core" based. That doesn't meant that there isn't a high skill ceiling, but it requires very little skill to get started. It also has a more charming cartoon style that will be attractive to a greater audience than the realistic and often quite violent PUBG style.

As such Fortnite, as long as it is done well, should draw more players as casual friendly titles in general will do better than core games IF (big if) the game can capture the imagination of casual players.

Regards,
SB

Back