Formula 1 - 2018 Season

If Volkswagen Group would enter F1, they would probably do it under Porsche or Audi name, but I can't imagine them being only a engine supplier when Mercedes is there with their own team
First, I don't see Audi coming in over Porsche. Lamborghini or Bugatti, sure, but not Audi.
Second I'm thinking baby steps. Engine, then buying a team. Starting from absolute scratch is HARD and since they are a manufacturer, they can't really do it Haas style can they?

Apparently the Alfa Romeo thing at Sauber is being de-emphasised so maybe that team is suitable for Porsche. Or they could take over Toro Rosso, but then maybe Lamborghini would make more sense than Porsche.

First, I don't see Audi coming in over Porsche. Lamborghini or Bugatti, sure, but not Audi.
Second I'm thinking baby steps. Engine, then buying a team. Starting from absolute scratch is HARD and since they are a manufacturer, they can't really do it Haas style can they?

Apparently the Alfa Romeo thing at Sauber is being de-emphasised so maybe that team is suitable for Porsche. Or they could take over Toro Rosso, but then maybe Lamborghini would make more sense than Porsche.
I brought Audi up because VW Group has actually considered joining F1 in 2021 under the name Audi and they're currently racing in Formula E with the Audi name, so there's some synergy there
(then again, Porsche is in Formula E too I think)

I brought Audi up because VW Group has actually considered joining F1 in 2021 under the name Audi and they're currently racing in Formula E with the Audi name, so there's some synergy there
(then again, Porsche is in Formula E too I think)
Couldn't find Porsche in any of the season articles on Formula E on Wikipedia. No matter, who the hell knows if they are entering F1 in 2021? They basically have to start on an engine now. Liberty have said that the new engine regs may be postponed so if the MGU-H stays, Porsche will have to conduct a more expensive engine programme than if the MGU-H were going away in 2021 as per the suggested regs.

Couldn't find Porsche in any of the season articles on Formula E on Wikipedia. No matter, who the hell knows if they are entering F1 in 2021? They basically have to start on an engine now. Liberty have said that the new engine regs may be postponed so if the MGU-H stays, Porsche will have to conduct a more expensive engine programme than if the MGU-H were going away in 2021 as per the suggested regs.
Ah, right, they're only starting 6th season https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/mot...ies-motorsports-2018-e-performance-15186.html

Lotus used to be involved in F1 at one point. Wonder if their parent company (Zhejiang Geely Holding Group) has any inclination to start a team?

Edit: On second thought probably not.

Lotus used to be involved in F1 at one point. Wonder if their parent company (Zhejiang Geely Holding Group) has any inclination to start a team?

Edit: On second thought probably not.
There were two Lotuses recently, until Tony Fernandes rebranded his team Caterham. The other Lotus was the Enstone team run by Genii until Renault bought them back.

Wth Ferrari, Kimi was fastest whole weekend and then you screw up Q3 so he can't lap in the end like the rest when the track was getting fast again

edit: very late edit: apparently they "forgot" to refuel the car right away when he pitted from what was supposed to be 2nd to last push, by the time "they realized it" it was already too late

Last edited:
Yeah, that was a bad mistake on Kimi's side by Ferrari.

Amazing times in Q2, top three 0,05 apart, which is insane over such a long lap.

Congrats to Racing Point Force India on their second row quali. That was some rallying on slicks in Q3 when it rained but they came back on inters.

The first 12 laps were ok but I quite literally fell asleep after ... (even just before Max’s first overtake of a force India car though so I was pretty tired)

Ferrari will need to seriously consider getting two cars to the finish of some races if they want to win the constructors.

Well you could argue if Ferrari hadn't botched Kimi's qualifying, he wouldn't have been there to get hit.

Well you could argue if Ferrari hadn't botched Kimi's qualifying, he wouldn't have been there to get hit

The weather reports predicted rain in the latter half of Q3, - it came in the first half. It threw everybody off. Even with the poor starting position Kimi would have been a podeum candidate considering the pace he always has on Spa.

And no you can't argue that it's Ferrari's botched Q3 that caused Kimi to be hit.

Cheers

The weather reports predicted rain in the latter half of Q3, - it came in the first half. It threw everybody off. Even with the poor starting position Kimi would have been a podeum candidate considering the pace he always has on Spa.

And no you can't argue that it's Ferrari's botched Q3 that caused Kimi to be hit.

Cheers
Ferrari did mess up not fueling his car sufficiently.

Only because they, like everybody else, expected that the first 4-5 minutes would be crucial. Turned out the rain came early.

Cheers
Mercedes fueled up. Edit: also he was beat by Ocon and Perez who tried running with slicks when it rained. Perez almost crashed, but both had time to go put on inters and beat Kimi because he couldn't run again with no fuel.

Back