Formula 1 - 2014 Season

It's is unlikely that they go straight to double yellows so drivers would unlikely be caught out.

Left in the drivers hands they won't slow down.

As far as I know the limiter doesn't apply brakes so if it cut the engine until a pre agreed speed is reached then it wouldn't cause any problems cars would gradually slow down to the required speed.

First of all they can't cut the engine because they won't be able to restart them. Lowering revs would be possible but who knows what could happen if you suddenly do that. A more sensible option would be to change the speed they are allowed to drive in the yellow flag section. That could easily be displayed on the steering wheel.

Come on, it's fairly easy to force the cars to slow down, you set a maximum speed and the drivers slow down. If they don't they get a black flag or a10 position penalty. The problem with double yellow now is that it's very much up to the drivers to slow down. So they can potentially gain an advantage if they don't slow down as much as the others.

If they know that they have to drive through the sector at half the speed they use to they will.

Russian GT is done. Lewis won with ease, Nico had to fight a hard fight for P2 after big mistake in turn 1, Putin and Bernie strengthened their friendship. :)

Fight hard? He was much faster than all the other cars and really didn't have to try very hard. The fact that he pretty much ran the whole race on a single set of tires proves that.

One of the most boring parades I've seen in years.

I think one of the problem is that the tyre last last too long. By itself, a tyre that last too long is okay. Combined with cars being fuel limited, then it became dull. Now you've got the tyre to push but no fuel to push it. Of course it doesn't help that it's difficult to overtake on this track.
Maybe some cars were under fueled because they were expecting safety car based on the support races. Unfortunately (fortunately?) , most F1 drivers are mature enough unlike those in GP2, thus no note worthy incident.

I think one of the problem is that the tyre last last too long. By itself, a tyre that last too long is okay. Combined with cars being fuel limited, then it became dull. Now you've got the tyre to push but no fuel to push it. Of course it doesn't help that it's difficult to overtake on this track.
Maybe some cars were under fueled because they were expecting safety car based on the support races. Unfortunately (fortunately?) , most F1 drivers are mature enough unlike those in GP2, thus no note worthy incident.

Apparently Pirelli had to choose tires without any of the data they would usually base it on. This meant they had to be conservative about tyre choice to ensure that they weren't failing by the time the cars reached the end of the pit lane. Next year there should be softer tyres at that track and therefore more degradation.

Russian GT is done. Lewis won with ease, Nico had to fight a hard fight for P2 after big mistake in turn 1, Putin and Bernie strengthened their friendship. :)

Nico did a great job, but essentially he took an early pit and just had to make those passes work. And with everyone on a fuel saving mode his ridiculous Mercedes advantage made it a bit to easy imho.

That Merc... When they are stretching their legs, they stretch it very far. Rosberg set his fastest time (2nd only to Bottas) on the 2nd to last lap of the race and even though tyre degradation is minimal, his tyre were 50+ laps old.
Qualifying gave a glimmer of hope for Williams that they can go further than 3rd. Rosberg mistake made it look like McLaren would get 3rd. Then Rosberg just keep doing faster laps. Damn.

I said it in the case of Ham and I say it now: every F1 driver can go from last place to podium with this years Merc...it is quite a boring season. I don't blame Merc...but all the other teams for being so slow.

McLaren, Force India, Williams...all have Mercedes engines. But none of them had a chance against the Mercs yesterday...that is why I claim that it is also easily the best car, not just the engine. And this on an engine heavy track.

McLaren, Force India, Williams...all have Mercedes engines. But none of them had a chance against the Mercs yesterday...that is why I claim that it is also easily the best car, not just the engine. And this on an engine heavy track.

The Mercedes cars aren't running the same Mercedes engine as the others. Performance might be comparable, but the layout of the engine allows tighter integration to the chassis allowing an aero package advantage.

In straight up aero dynamic performance, I'd bet the Red Bulls are still best (as they have been for the past 4-5 years).

Cheers

The Mercedes cars aren't running the same Mercedes engine as the others. Performance might be comparable, but the layout of the engine allows tighter integration to the chassis allowing an aero package advantage.

In straight up aero dynamic performance, I'd bet the Red Bulls are still best (as they have been for the past 4-5 years).

Cheers

The engines are exactly the same for all. The difference comes from the fact that Mercedes could design their car around the engine from the ground up, while customer teams started the design before they got the exact engine specs (physical size and all)

They are running the same engine.

The difference is the Mercedes had been designed for the engine from day one whereas the other teams designed their car and then received the engine.

Next year should be a lot closer but Mercedes will still have a better car as they have the most money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers

Is there an article discussing this? Sounds interesting. I always thought that the home team has an engine advantage, but in case of e.g. Ferrari, it was always negated. I am also not quite sure what you mean by layout, as I guess that the regulations basically fix all that and make it quite different. I also heard that they not only use the same engine but also the same gear and other engine related stuff?

Futhermore, I still think that the Merc car is very efficient wrt tyre wear and aerodynamics. I can only speculate about the RB...it just gets overshadowed at the moment and it is difficult to classify the different parts of a car. It could be that RB has the best aerodynamics because of Adrian Newey :smile:

They are not always running exactly the same engine as some small upgrades are first finding way into works engines and then they filter down to other teams.
Good example was beginning of this season when Merc brought small 'reliability' upgrade allowing engine to be run for longer and at higher power Qualy mode also for the race, which only filtered to other Mercedes engined teams for Silverstone or Spain.
In principle mechanically all the engines are the same, but ECU mapping differs by the team and here works team can also have advantage.

Back