Formula 1 - 2012 Season

About Kimi's off-course trip, he said in an interview that he thought he could get to drive through the old track, but someone had closed the gate there

Oh come on Kaotik :p

Vettel's luck has been extraordinary this season, especially in these last few races. The crazy stuff that happened to allow him to finish 3rd at Abu Dhabi is even more relevant now that he just won the championship by 2 points.

That crash today...to get away with that is just incredible. Look at the damage Hamilton took when Hulkenberg hit him and that could easily have been Vettel. He didn't even pick up any front wing damage while facing the rest of the field...just unreal luck.

Not being sour about it - he recovered fantastically afterwards and put in a good drive - but the amount of luck he's had is unbelievable.

I think we might see Alonso back at McLaren in 2014 btw. I guess he'll give Ferrari next year to prove that they are capable of giving him a decent car.

Even Whitmarsh has been laying the plaudits on him for his performance this season. If only they'd known Hamilton was going to Mercedes next year. I guess Button will be on his way down the field in 2014, so it'll be Alonso and Perez.

Another year, another Vettel / Red Bull sweep. Given the lack of changes for next year one wonders how different it will be next time out. But thats a conversation for another thread! :D

I have to say - what an epic race. I have to admit, I'm very impressed by how Vettel recovered from that first corner crash. It would have been so easy to lose it at that point and go all to tears, but somehow, miraculously, he came through after all - and that even after putting on the wrong tyres, losing radio, coming to the pits on his own decision (without the team knowing it) for inters...

I do think his 2011 title was too much of a gift, but this he certainly earned (even if I do think another driver this year is more worthy if he had not had that many car malfunctions which were pretty much guaranteed wins, but that's sport and racing). F1 is all about the perfect set-up between the car/team + driver - reliability and with that in mind, it's clearly RedBulls/Vettels title.

I feel bad for Alonso, who drove equally brilliant (though I see him as being just as lucky) - but all the comments about them racing Newey are a bit off the mark - as Ferrari struggled on their own for pace at crucial points of the championship. I wonder if heads will roll at Ferrari.

Hats off to Massa - he's been brilliant the last few races. I hope he can keep it up.

I didn't know the result (news isolation for the weekend, I've been abroad) and I've just watched the race. My heart was racing and it was incredible from lap 1 through to the 6 last laps. Congrats to SebVet.

Commiserations to Alonso, he did all he could and Massa went above and beyond and totally deserved to be on the podium. Bad luck for Hamilton and the Hulk.

What a year, it would have been a fairytale if Alonso had pipped Vettel, but let's see what they can do next year: RBR are not invincible. We've seen unreliability from them on several occasions and we've seen mistakes. Alonso will be up the next year.

Also congrats to Button on a great drive. He stuck to those first dry tyres for quite a while and his skill shone through.

Think it's clear where the yellow zone ends. The GPS in these cars is very accurate so the dash indicator will be accurate.

Him losing out after people let him pass them the entire race (apart from kobyashi) rights a great wrong.

McLaren had the fastest overall package when Hamilton is integral to it. I remain unconvinced that will be the case without him.

Regarding the yellow flag controversy
"He wrote in Spanish: "I don't believe in miracles. I make my miracles out of the correct rules.""
Thats a bit rich coming from fernando

Sky had actually completely picked up on this, in fact they even queried Pat Fry about it after the race. At the time Ferrari had only seen the red/yellow stripped flag and just thought it was a "caution, slippery surface" warning, they had not twigged that in fact the yellow lights were clearly flashing as well.

Seems pretty obvious tbh, he should have been given a drive through for that - but I'll be astonished if they do anything that changes the result and the championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sky had actually completely picked up on this, in fact they even queried Pat Fry about it after the race. At the time Ferrari had only seen the red/yellow stripped flag and just thought it was a "caution, slippery surface" warning, they had not twigged that in fact the yellow lights were clearly flashing as well.

The yellow lights weren't flashing, they were just lit.
Lit light = stationary flag
Blinking light = waved flag

Yellows are always waved, yellow/reds are stationary

Also it's possible that the sucky quality of the onboard video plays tricks, and the light just gets over-exposed (or how you spell it?)

11346880.jpg

Note the red'ish tinted "stripes" glowing out from it?

The only confusion is wether yellow light lit means yellow/red striped or is the light yellow/red, too.

It would be extremely amusing if JEV's Torro Rosso making itself too easy to pass cost Vettel the championship. Talk about justice.

Back