Formula 1 - 2009 Season

I'm pretty sure I mentioned last year that I would not be interested in F1 this year. And seems I turned out right.

The F1A has really killed it for me.

Fantastic qualifying, especially Q2 where it rained. Too bad Alonso made a mistake in Q2 and couldn't get higher than P12, thus Piquet outqualified Alonso for the first time. Adrian Sutil finally managed to get a Force India into Q3.

Webbo deserves a win.

Too bad I probably cant watch. Seems like its going to be fun with the rain and all. I'll probably be waiting at the airport for my plane to Japan (goddamn 2 hour bagage drop limits). Maybe someone knows a internet stream? Dont know if they got free wifi over at the airport but I could always use my phone as a modem.

That was a very good race despite the rain not appearing. Webber won despite a drive-through, very deserved and finally after 8 years, he's won a race and there it was on merit and he worked for it.

Rosberg, Alonso and Massa were the other stand-outs. Rosberg appeared in P4 almost out of nowhere, Alonso came alive in the second half of the race and Massa did well to get on the podium. Vettel was no match for Webber, but Red Bull have dealt a big blow to Brawn who were thoroughly trounced. The Brawn cars ate their tyres, especially the rears.

Great race, some very good racing all through the field. Sutil could have been a contender but Kimi Räikkönen seems to be his nemesis. Hamilton had a blinding start, but Webber's front-wing hit Hamilton's right rear tyre and he had a puncture at turn 1 and he tip-toe around the entire lap on three wheels, he might have been a contender too.

Also, Rubens is furious and he is paranoid about team orders. Who can blame him, after being in a team run by Jean 'Sport schmort' Todt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sutil could have been a contender but Kimi Räikkönen seems to be his nemesis.
No matter how you put that crash, there's no way Kimi could be blamed, both said it was a racing incident and Sutil even said that it was caused by him (not directly, he said that his driving lane went too wide due fresh cold tyres which caused him to hit Kimi)

No matter how you put that crash, there's no way Kimi could be blamed, both said it was a racing incident and Sutil even said that it was caused by him (not directly, he said that his driving lane went too wide due fresh cold tyres which caused him to hit Kimi)
Oh, I agree about that, but Kimi has still robbed him of two potentially strong results.

I also think Webber was unfairly penalised.

Edit: I thought Santander (and other race sponsors) weren't allowed to have their logo as the P1 trophy. AFAIK the P1 trophy is supposed to be a 'cup'. It should be a unique trophy for P1 from every race and not a stupid Santander logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Webber deserved his penalty, but he was so fast that it didn't matter at all. Brawn should be quite worried right about now.

I see no reason for them to worry yet. This track was in favour of RedBull, everyone expected them to win here. Not so in all of the races that are left and they have enough advantage left to pull it off even if being second till the end.

I see no reason for them to worry yet. This track was in favour of RedBull, everyone expected them to win here. Not so in all of the races that are left and they have enough advantage left to pull it off even if being second till the end.

Well I think Red Bull has more resources to improve their car till the end and it looks like other teams are entering to the top class also. To me it seems like the tide is starting to turn and it doesn't take much to erase the lead Button has, if he retires once the point standings will change considerable and there are plenty of races left. Button has the advantage of being the designated number 1 driver in the team though, which helps him to get points like yesterday.

Well it's not like Brawn are sitting on their hands either, we'll see. Surely RB have more money, but that's historically not always equal to better/faster improvements.

In the last two Grands Prix, Red Bull have scored the maximum 36 points while Brawn have scored 16 points.

The championship needs for Brawn to be challenged like this. It is good.

Max Mosley confirms he will not stand for re-election. He throws his lot behind Jean Todt.

Todt is not popular in F1 circles, though, and I don't like him much either. He doesn't seem to have a passion for sport and racing, because he infamously chose who of his drivers would win a rally in the 80s by tossing a coin. He's probably a highly skilled manager, though, it's just that he should show more passion.

Ari Vatanen has also said he is going to run. What about Ron Dennis? I bet he's making everyone at McLaren Automotive crazy by hovering over them all the time.

I don't think FIA would let Dennis anywhere near such position after all the scandals he has been in F1 :p

And this is now 2nd time Mosley confirms that, he might still back down :D

ps: hardly unexpected Bordais has gone

"Toro Rosso have sacked French driver Sebastien Bourdais after two seasons with the team. "

"Bourdais made his name in the United States, winning four successive Champ Car titles from 2004 to 2007 - the first driver in history to do so.

However, despite a promising start to life in Formula 1, the 30-year-old failed to live up to expectations picking up just six points from 27 races."

Yeah, sad really. Maybe he'll get a drive in one of the new teams, but I doubt it.

Reportedly Renault is changing too, replacing Piquet with Romain Grosjean, who has been driving GP2 this season

Back