Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Just set a maximum price on tiers and obligate any supplier to sell to any of the teams. If the disparity is too great the other teams can simply jump ship for a reasonable cost.

"If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you must rectify your actions," Mosley said.
Mosley, who had said he would not stand for re-election in October, added that he now considered his "options open".
In the letter, written on Wednesday to Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, the chairman of Fota, Mosley accused Fota of falsely stating he had behaved like a dictator and that he had been forced from office.
And he hinted that he might reconsider the deal that secured an end to the political row in the sport.
At it already. Told you he was lying! He is a lawyer after all.

EDIT: OK no one likes an "I told you so" didn't read the previous posts in my excitement. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Max, do us, the fans, a favour and really push this.

Lets see how you cope without the big guns in your poxy championship next season.

That was last year... He was going to continue, but was not allowed.

He said he was not going to stand last year, then threatened to do so as he knew FOTA wouldn't like that, then made the "concession" of continuing with his original plan. Every time FOTA renege on another deal with the FIA (they've done so twice this month already), he'll threaten to stand again. Nobody can prevent him from standing, but he can choose not to.

FOTA need to agree (which they've managed to do, by my count, 3 times already), then stick to the agreement (which they haven't managed to do for more than 24 hours yet). I for one am losing patience with particular teams who seem to be hell bent on destroying these negotiations in any way they can.

How did FOTA reneg?

Mosley says they lied when they said he would step down and not be actively involved in F1 one moment, the next moment he says :
"Formula 1 is run entirely by our 25-strong team without any help from me or any other outsider. There was no need for me to involve myself further in Formula 1 once we had a settlement. Equally, I had a long-standing plan not to seek re-election in October. It was therefore possible for me to confirm both points to you yesterday."

Should he now apologize to himself for saying the same thing too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about this.

You take any dispute related to F1, for example the Lewis Hamilton arguments. Supporters of his are unflinching in their belief that there is a conspiracy against him, that the FIA have an agenda, and draw on examples like Spa 08 to prove their point. Hamilton detractors are equally resolute in their belief that there is a conspiracy in favour of him in the FIA, and use examples like Fuji 07. There are further examples of these arguments in this very thread.

But if you take a step back, you'll notice that what each side has in common is a belief that there is some kind of orchestrated attempt by the FIA to influence things, away from each particular viewpoint (i.e. supporters believe in an agenda against their object of support, detractors believe that the agenda is pro the object of their dislike).

Now if you name any team or driver, fans will be able to point out a perceived injustice against them, almost always attributed to an FIA conspiracy of some kind. It's something that all fans share, and the result is that the FIA is in shared dislike by all F1 fans. Ironically, nobody realises that if everybody believes the FIA has a conspiracy against them in particular, then that by definition proves that there is no conspiracy towards any one team or driver, because the perceived injustices are shared by everybody :D

It's very easy to say, "if they made the right decisions all the time, this wouldn't happen". But what are the right decisions? Take the lying scandal. Some people in this thread were arguing that it only deserved a light sentence because they admitted it, no harm was done, and everybody lies sometimes. Others were arguing that it deserved a heavy sentence because you have to make an example that attempting to deliberately mislead the governing body would not be tolerated. So what is the right decision? In the end, McLaren got a light sentence - and you can bet that McLaren supporters saw it simply as the expected, "correct" decision, while McLaren detractors added it to the list of events supporting their "FIA pro-McLaren" conspiracy theory. So in each and every decision, the result is an increase in negative feeling for the FIA, because the positive feeling is ignored as them simply making the "right" decision.

It's exactly the same with referees in football. They make judgement calls, independent of any bias, yet it's pretty hard as a fan not to see decisions against your team as a conspiracy, yet decisions for your team to be nothing but "correct" ones. Everybody dislikes referees, it's simply part of the territory. Everybody dislikes the FIA for the same reason. Mosley as the president is the focal point for that dislike. But if anybody honestly thinks replacing him with someone else would solve anything, they are sadly mistaken. It's the nature of the role, not the person holding it.

It is amazing to think that, looking objectively at the FIA decisions, they are all motivated by very simple things like safety, fair competition and ensuring the sport continues in the best possible way into the future. Given that, it's ridiculous that they take so much flak from pretty much every fan of F1 :???:

I'm not really sure I had a particular reason for writing this post, I was just thinking about it and thought I'd throw it out there... no doubt for it to be slaughtered :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76602

Mosley said:
I am under pressure now from all over the world to stand for re-election. I don't actually want to, I feel I am a little bit too old. I do genuinely want to stop. But if there is going to be a big conflict with the car industry, for example, with the FOTA teams, then I won't stop. I will do whatever I have to do. It's not in my nature to walk away from a fight.

Mosley said:
Complete lies have been told. That was obviously very annoying and not just for me. It has given the impression to the member clubs of the FIA that the car industry had dictated who the president could be and what the president should do. That caused uproar. Once a year we have a general assembly where all 132 countries belonging to the FIA endorse what has been done. If someone is unhappy with what has been done, they would say so and we'd have a vote. I don't have the power to dictate. I only have the power to execute the decisions that the WMSC have taken.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76546

Mosley said:
We have heard a lot from FOTA about an independent court of appeal. Yet during the controversy over the "double diffuser", a manufacturer team repeatedly lobbied me (wholly improperly) to intervene with the FIA Court of Appeal and have the double diffuser declared illegal. The FIA Court would never listen to such an approach but it shows that for the team in question, "independent" means independent of the other teams and under the control of particular interests.

I am so tired of this situation. In my mind it is over, they announced their agreement. I just want racing.

Aaaand now the FOTA teams have been removed from next seasons team list :D
(no english source for this (yet))

A statement from FOTA said: "Representatives of all FOTA teams attended a meeting of the Sporting Working Group at the Nurburgring today.
"During the course of this meeting, the team managers were informed by Mr Charlie Whiting of the FIA that, contrary to previous agreements, the eight FOTA teams are not currently entered into the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship and have no voting rights in relation to the technical and sporting regulations thereof.
"It will be remembered that all eight active FOTA members were included on the "accepted" entry list as endorsed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) and communicated by FIA press statement on June 24.
"In light of these claims, the FOTA representatives requested a postponement of today's meetings. This was rejected on the grounds that no new Concorde Agreement would be permitted before a unanimous approval of the 2010 regulations was achieved."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76778

You cannot vote on the rules of the game we're going to play in the sandbox because you are not allowed in the sandbox. You are not allowed in the sandbox because you haven't voted on the rules of the game we're going to play in the sandbox.

Yeah that's just...wow, speechless.

You must unanimously agree to these rules which will be set in stone before you can have any input into these rules.

We'll take your considerations under advisement in the meantime but you must sign and agree to the rules as they are first. Uh....

I'm starting to wonder why I even bothered to come back to F1 after leaving it after all the watering down that has happened since Senna passed away.

Regards,
SB

Back